Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gabro822 Quote
Thank you for all the informations!! Now I've understand the main differences! So in term of IQ nothing change, is just a decision about the FF or APS-C format in the end...
But if you would buy a lens for this purpose, which you choose? And why, above all?
For which purpose? for portraits? IF I liked the rather short 50-55mm focal length for that purpose - which I don't - the DA*55 seems like an ideal choice. But I prefer a long portrait lens. DA70 nails it pretty well for me, and when it was a lot cheaper than the FA77, that was a very easy choice. if I were buying today, I'd think harder about the FA77 for the extra aperture stop. Not sure I'd be willing to give up quick shift, though - that's the other very significant difference to me between (most) DA lenses and (all' as far as I know) FA lenses. And I definitely appreciate the lighter weight and somewhat smaller profile of the DA70.

05-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #17
Veteran Member

What's important for me is sharpness and bokeh. Size is not so important!

So most of them are out of production but prices are still so high?! wow..
Well, the FA has been known to be sharper, if even just ever so slightly.

As far as bokeh, you'll need to take that on a case by case basis! It also depends on what exactly you like out of bokeh, different strokes for different folks!

You also mentioned that you originally were thinking about the 16-50...

Sigma has a 17-50 that is quite sharp. https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-17-50mm-f2-8-ex-dc-os-hsm.html
05-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you again for all of your help!
And thank you also to give me other lenses to consider! Yes, I started from a 16-50 because I thought "I can use this instead of my 18-55!". I've also considered the pentax 17-70,sigma 17-70 and 17-50 and tamron 17-50. Among those, I opted for the 16-50. Choise based on what owners said, since here in Italy there is very few people with Pentax, and the only one who have is far from me.
Then, making some research, I saw on this site the kind of picture that I want to make: those shots were made with a DA*55.
"Ok" I thought " I still keep the 18-55 (no more the 16-50) and I'm going to buy the 55".
Once said this, I fell into the FA group...and fell in love with the 31ltd (ok, also with the 43 and 77, but above all with the 31).
But since I didn't know all the differences between the DA and FA, I couldn't decide ( I thought that the only difference was about the FF...).
For this reason I asked you help and now I have reorganized my ideas. For what concern theory About lenses I've something more to ask you: What did you mean with "short focal lenght" of the 55? Is so different with the 70 (or 77)? Isn't a personal feeling at this point? I saw quite the same results..
Please, don't be angry if I've wrote foolish thing..I just want to understand!

Thank you!
Gabriele
05-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Focal length preference is indeed a personal thing, but very crucial when it comes to portraits. A relatively short focal length like 55 means that you either have to shoot from very close to your subject - which yields less flattering perspective - or else you get very wide framing, showing not just head and shoulders but more of the whole torso. Each portrait is different, which is a reason why many prefer zooms, and the Tamron 28-75 and DA*50-135 both cover the portrait range pretty well and are very well regarded. But if you are going to limit yourself to one focal length for the majority of your portraits, it should be one that lets you work from the distance you think gives you the most flattering perspective most of the time while giving you the kind of framing you prefer most of the time (maybe slightly wide to allow for the possibility of cropping). For me, a 70mm lens hits that sweet ot *perfectly*. But I am speaking from only my own experience here, and I am not someone who shoots a lot of portraits. Someone else may find they usually like shooting from closer than I do, or that they generally prefer wider framing. Someone else might prefer working from further away than I do, or might prefer tighter framing - and for them an 85mm or even 100mm prime might be better suited.

05-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much! Now I really understand what you said before! So the best way should be try the lens and then decide. I will search shops,but I think it will be different for shots in a shop instead of ones outside. But I just want to see where I can feel better, as you said
Thank you very much Marc!!
05-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But if you would buy a lens for this purpose, which you choose? And why, above all?
I have had the FA77 for a couple of years, and absolutely love it. I have only had the DA*55 for two days and haven't given it a decent work-out yet.
Given my time again, I reckon I'd still go for the FA77 first because of it's beauty, size and pixie dust.
05-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

You can rent the 43, 55, 70, and 77 from here: Cameralensrentals.com-Pentax Standard

Perhaps see which you like from those? They have a Sigma 28mm but unfortunately no 31mm
05-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I've owned a few DA lenses, but now only have one as you can see my preference below in my signature. I also shoot a lot of film, so I need FA lenses with aperture rings for older cameras. But it all comes down to your personal preference. There are hundreds of threads here discussing the merits of the FA Limiteds vs. the DA Limiteds and which series is better. There's no easy answer there because both are incredible. I've owned both as well and decided to keep the FA Limiteds because I liked what they did better, for me.

So to recap for you, here's the basics and you'll just have to decide for yourself which ones will get the job done for you.

DA
Quick-shift*
Some are weather sealed
No aperture rings
Smaller
Built for APS-C
Some are newer designs

FA
Aperture rings*
Built for full frame*
Larger
Generally faster apertures
A few have Power Zoom
A few have manual focus clutch (not quite quick-shift though)

* this indicates a big deal for me, but maybe not everyone.

If I've missed something let me know.