Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Does anyone dabble in lens repair?

I have 3 or 4 lenses that need some help and i'm not about to pay the $85 per that I have seen online, heck, I think $50 is the most I paid for the most expensive of these lenses.

I'm not looking for miracles , and if any these lenses is beyond help it's no biggie to me.
Anyone willing to give it a shot? Of course i'm willing to pay a fair price for your services.

Thanks,
Ray

01-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it would help if you actually gave the other members some information on what exactly the problem is.
01-19-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I think it would help if you actually gave the other members some information on what exactly the problem is.
M 28mm f3.5.....aperature ring stuck at f8 and will not budge.

Vivitar M42 35-105 zoom....zoom ring is not right, only goes from 35 to 85 and does not feel smooth.

Takumar super-multi-coated 50mm f1.4.....lens was dropped sometime in its past, filter will not fit because ring is dented and it also makes a "scraping" noise when focusing (not all the time but it seems like the tube might be out of whack) I haven't used this lens as of yet but I think it will work fine (glass is pristine) I would like to use filters on'er and am not sure if the tube will be fixable.

M 100mm f4 macro lens.....when changing aperature it does not click, apature works fine but it works like the focus ring, nice and smoooooth (is this normal for this lens?) Another issue is, it will not "lock" when I put it on my camera body (K100d S), it doesn't make that positive click sound and I can take it off without using the release button.

Thanks as always,
Ray
01-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

M 28mm f/3.5 - Probably misaligned aperture blade notch. Needs to be opened and realigned.

Vivitar - don't know the exact problem, but it doesn't seem too difficult to fix. Probably some debris blocking the barrel.

Takumar - needs opening up and focus barell needs a good cleaning and lubrication. It's not misaligned. I know because I've dropped my Helios in the past, and I have another lens with the same problem, that I'll have to open up and clean.

M 100 f/4 - Can't say, because I don't know if it clicked to begin with, and you aren't sure either, I don't know. Anyway, my Helios had the same problem (my fault this time ), the aperture ring has very tiny ball bearings that make it click into place. If yours was dropped in the past, they might have become detached.

I don't know what the mount problem could be. Does the lens twist all the way into place? If it does, make sure the locking notch isn't "occupied" > http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/technology/K-mount/K.gif ; because that is the only thing responsible for the lack of clicking, as far as I know.

I am by no means a qualified repairman. I just worked my way around with old-fashioned Romanian ingenuity, so most of what you've read is merely guesswork. The issues I tackled were really minor. Nothing was broken, thankfully. The only time I had to do major surgery to a lens was the free Zeiss Tessar I got in the summer. Someone had bent the inner barrel out of shape with A VICE (obviously someone with a severe mental illness), and I had to file away at the barrel for about 4 hours. But it is new and improved, and I can focus with it faster than a K10D can autofocus. Tried and tested - with the aid of an improvised lubricant my dad and I thought up ad-hoc.

But that was mostly off topic. I hope you can find someone to get your lovely lenses repaired.

01-19-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
M 28mm f/3.5 - Probably misaligned aperture blade notch. Needs to be opened and realigned.

Vivitar - don't know the exact problem, but it doesn't seem too difficult to fix. Probably some debris blocking the barrel.

Takumar - needs opening up and focus barell needs a good cleaning and lubrication. It's not misaligned. I know because I've dropped my Helios in the past, and I have another lens with the same problem, that I'll have to open up and clean.

M 100 f/4 - Can't say, because I don't know if it clicked to begin with, and you aren't sure either, I don't know. Anyway, my Helios had the same problem (my fault this time ), the aperture ring has very tiny ball bearings that make it click into place. If yours was dropped in the past, they might have become detached.

I don't know what the mount problem could be. Does the lens twist all the way into place? If it does, make sure the locking notch isn't "occupied" > http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/technology/K-mount/K.gif ; because that is the only thing responsible for the lack of clicking, as far as I know.

I am by no means a qualified repairman. I just worked my way around with old-fashioned Romanian ingenuity, so most of what you've read is merely guesswork. The issues I tackled were really minor. Nothing was broken, thankfully. The only time I had to do major surgery to a lens was the free Zeiss Tessar I got in the summer. Someone had bent the inner barrel out of shape with A VICE (obviously someone with a severe mental illness), and I had to file away at the barrel for about 4 hours. But it is new and improved, and I can focus with it faster than a K10D can autofocus. Tried and tested - with the aid of an improvised lubricant my dad and I thought up ad-hoc.

But that was mostly off topic. I hope you can find someone to get your lovely lenses repaired.
I wish I had your good Romanian ingenuity, I could probably roll up my sleaves and have a go at it, but I do not want to ruin what someone else could possibly fix. I don't have a whole lot of money tied up in these lenses, but I would use all of them. The Vivatar might not get much use but it really does look like an interesting lens.

Thanks for your help,
Ray
01-19-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

No probs. I more or less had no choice, because the only photo equipment repair shops are the official importers of lenses and such. And they no longer bother with "old" equipment such as my M42 lenses. And if they did, it would probably cost an arm and a leg.