Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Adapting Leica M lenses to Pentax dslr

Hello All,
Is there an adapter that will allow you to use a Leica M lens on the Pentax dslr? If so, where can I buy it from?

05-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax

There isn't an adapter, as this takes some jiggery pokery from what I've heard, but Leitax are the name that always comes up when Leica lenses need to be converted to Pentax mounts.
05-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax

There isn't an adapter, as this takes some jiggery pokery from what I've heard, but Leitax are the name that always comes up when Leica lenses need to be converted to Pentax mounts.
Leitax is for Leica R mount lenses. Leica M is for rangefinder cameras. I have seen an M42 adapter for M mount, but it is for macro only as the register is so different.

There is also an M mount module for the Ricoh GXR.
05-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Aaaah sorry. Yeah R-mount glass can be converted, but I'm not sure it'd be possible to mount an M lens on a K-mount camera, surely? The register distance far too short, and some with protrusive rear elements would hit the mirror.

05-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

REGISTER aka flange-focal-distance is the distance between the lens mount and the frame (film or sensor). The Pentax PK|M42 register is 45.46mm. The Leica M (LM) register is 27.8mm; Leica R (LR) is 47.0mm.

Longer-register lenses can (theoretically) be mounted on shorter-register cameras and focus to infinity without adding any optics. The Leitax LR-PK modification does that. Alas, shorter-register lenses on longer-register cameras will only focus close, maybe at macro distances, if at all -- unless an optical adapter is used. Optical adapters are short teleconverters. They increase the focal length, tighten the aperture, and too-often reduce image quality, especially cheap ones. And I can't afford the good ones. Good thing, or I'd buy even MORE lenses.

The Ricoh GXR M-mountor is very tempting because it directly mounts Leica M lenses, and can use simple non-optical adapters to mount Leica threadmount (LTM), Konica, Canon, Minolta, X-Fujica, Pentacon, Petri, Exakta, Olympus, Contax-Yashica, Pentax, Nikon, and all sorts of longer-register lenses. All these can also be mounted on Samsung NX, Sony NEX, Pentax Q, and other shorter-register cameras. If I get a NEX, will I be saved... or doomed?

Some mounts are easy to mod or adapt for PK. I have done simple mods to Nikon, Olympus OM, and Yashica C/Y lenses. Petri bayonets are a bit more work to mod, but not too hard. Exakta-mount lenses (without a stop-down button) and Argus C3-mount lenses are easy to adapt. (MOD: chop the lens. ADAPT: glue something on.) I don't even bother trying with most others. I'm lazy.

Last edited by RioRico; 05-28-2012 at 01:36 PM.
05-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter

As noted above, the Leica M lenses are made for a short registration rangefinder camera and cannot be used on an SLR. Ditto for Leica M39 thread mount and Contax/Kiev bayonet.

Your options for shooting M-mount glass are pretty much limited to Leica, Zeiss, and Voigtlander rangefinder cameras as well as the various mirrorless interchangeable lens digital cameras.

Steve
05-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The best 'adaptation' is to get a Leica.
The second best is to get a sony nex with an adapter.
3rd best i m4/3 body.

There is also an option: Sell the Leica lens and get several pentax lenses.
05-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Depends on the Leica lens. My M-mount Hektor 135/4.5 sold for enough to buy an FA100-300 (silver) and that's about it. Not all E.Leitz lenses are solid gold, eh? (Cf Elmar.)

05-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

3rd best i m4/3 body.

Your forgetting, Ricoh, shame on you
05-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter

3rd best i m4/3 body.

No love for Zeiss, Voigtlander, or Fuji X-Pro 1 here?

Steve
05-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No love for Zeiss, Voigtlander, or Fuji X-Pro 1 here?
Steve
oh yes!
Zeiss lenses are awesome, among the best i currently have.
Voigtlander as second. Leica glass are out of my budget. Would you sell the whole lens collection to get one leica?