Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

Fisheye DA 10-17 question

Hi All,

I just got my K100D Super earlier this month and am considering other lenses. Probably for me the next lens should be a wider angled lens of some type. I already know the DA 12-24 isn't beginning to be in my budget. So, I wondering about the DA 10-17 fisheye zoom.

My big question about this lens is about the fisheye. Is it "fisheyed" so-to-speak only at the widest end of the zoom, or does it display the effect through the entire range? I notice that it is described as a fisheye to super-wide angled zoom, sort of leading me to believe that this quality changes through the range. Just curious.

I briefly played with the lens when I was initially looking at the K100D super and K10D, but wasn't really paying much attention to the lens. I actually had the attendant change the lens to the kit lens so I'd get a better feel for what the "kit" setup would be like. Anyway....

So, anyone out there have any thoughts on this lens? Also, any comments on the lack of being able to use filters with this lens? I know I've seen a few grumbles elsewhere with regards to this.

Thanks for your thoughts and feed back!

01-19-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can share a link to my Pentax DA 10-17 FE gallery. It is here:
LaRee : photos : Fisheye 10-17- powered by SmugMug

Throughout the gallery you will see multiple photos of the same scene at different focal lengths. You will also see the effect of where you put the horizon line in a landscape shot. All the exif is available in the gallery. I think looking around there will give you a feel as to what you can expect from the lens.

I love mine and wouldn't part with it for anything. It is the lens most often in my bag because it is so unique and fun to shoot with plus it is very compact and easy to carry.
While I think that yes it would be nice to be able to use a polarizer on it, it isn't a deal breaker that I can. I find all my lenses have one thing or another I have to compromise. Not being able to use a filter isn't a biggie to me.
01-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

best lens i have in my bag. it may not be practical, but it's so fun to use. I did grumble about the lack of filter usage, but, just be careful w/ it, and you should be fine.

it instantly became my fave lens.
01-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
Inactive Account

It is a wonderful lens. I just got it around Christmas time. It complements the Pentax 16-45 nicely.

To give you an idea, here is the same photo at 10mm, and corrected using Corel Paint Shop Pro X2.

10mm.

Corrected version.

So all in all, a fairly fun lens to play around with. You can even use software to correct the lens if you really had to. You will lose a little on the sides though.

01-19-2008, 10:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Here's my fisheye gallery - I''ve never "defished" anything. I kind of like the tension the distortion adds.
http://www.pbase.com/betsypdx/1017
01-19-2008, 11:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dwhopson Quote
...any comments on the lack of being able to use filters with this lens?

Filters would severely vignette if mounted to the front (not really possible physically). I had a Canon 15mm FE in my film days that had UV, Yellow, Orange, and Red built in the rear. Never used them but one time.

Due to the really wide angle and distortion, adding more "effects" may be overkill. And because minor tilts in the camera make large variations in the image, it might be very difficult to control the filter precisely.

If you are a "filter-for-protection" man, just use some caution.
01-20-2008, 01:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I hear good things about the Sigma 10-20mm and it is cheaper than the Pentax 12-24mm. It's not a fish eye so you won't get as much distortion.
01-20-2008, 06:13 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Nor as much field of view.

I bought the 10-17 because I wanted to get distortion, and also to get 180 degree field of view. Its wider then the Sigma 10-20 at 10mm. It also fits nicely with my 16-45.

I corrected one of my photos out of curiosity. Itís not something I plan on doing often as I really do like the creativity that this lens has to offer.

As for not being able to use a filter, as previously mentioned, anything you place on it will show because of that very wide field of view. Just be careful with the front element in use, and it you won't even notice that there is no filter on it. One up side, the lens is super easy to clean as it comes out at you lol.

Here is another example from the lens.

01-20-2008, 06:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The lens will have a fish eye effect through out it's zoom range. The distortion does lessen as you increase the focal length, but is still there. You can defish the image with software such as PTLens from about 14mm to 17mm.
01-20-2008, 06:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
although others have posted some fine answers, here's one I didn't see,

go to a camera store with your camera and a memory card and ask to take some shots in the store. Stores have let me try a 300 F2.8, even allowing me to go out on the sidewalk to take shots.

I'm sure they'll let you try. you can see for your self what happens/ for many, except when they shoot interiors or archatecture, where a rectalinear lens is better, they don't mind the fisheye evvect. you can largely negate it in land scapes by keeping the horizon in the middle, but note, at extremes the horizon is really curved any way.
01-20-2008, 07:06 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Love my 10-17. Grew up using Olympus Om 16 fisheye. Its in the blood. If I get in a creative rut put the FE on and bam - no more rut. Have never tried defishing. Will try it some day.
Sometimes fisheyes have less distortion than rectilinear ultra wides. Rectilinears elongate objects on the edges of the frame. Fisheyes don't. Sometimes you can hide the FE distortion. FE are fun. Try one.
thanks
barondla
01-20-2008, 09:12 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the useful info and links to great photos.

It's interesting how the lens acts with different scenes. In some photos, there is a lot of distortion and in other little. I guess it depends a lot on how the photo is setup and the surroundings.

I'll continue to look and may go back and take a look at Ritz. Unfortunately all of our "real" photography stores here in my area have closed up shop.

Thanks!
01-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

here's a thread I recently made w/ some photos using the fish

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/17757-fisheye-fun.html