Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #1

Tomioka Auto-Tominon 55mm f/1.2 M42

I've got a bit of a dilemma. I own an M42 Tomioka 55 f/1.2 and it works just great on my Pentax LX, but I use a Canon T3i when I shoot digital. I've got the M42 to EOS adapter, but it doesnt work properly with the Tomioka. The Tomioka's rear element is so large that that it doesnt fit through the opening on the adapter ring.

What I'm wondering is, could I use a PK to EOS adapter and then use my Pentax PK to M42 inside of that to mount the Tomioka? Anyone tried this or have any experience with the Tomioka?

05-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have read of how Canoneers deal with protruding rear elements: shave the reflex mirror. Have fun!
05-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
It's not a problem of mirror clearance at all. FWIW most Canon/M42 mirror problems have to do with the full frame 5D MkI and II's. Not so much a problem with crop sensor cameras, which I own and use several Asahi M42 lenses on.

The problem is the M42 to EOS adapter has a smaller opening than the rear element of the Tomilux. So, the adapter stop the rear element from moving any further back than the 8ft focus mark.

What I'm wondering is, do the PK to EOS adapters have a larger opening than the M42 EOS adapters.
05-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have problem with your T3i, it's easier to ask in Canon forum.
Usually, there are no problem with M42 lenses and APSC canon DSLR.
May be it's the pin hit the mirror.

05-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #5

Original Poster
You are obviously not familiar with the lens I'm speaking of and how large the rear element is. THE EOS TO M42 ADAPTER HAS AN OPENING THAT IS SMALLER THAN THE REAR ELEMENT OF THE LENS.

I am trying to figure out if I can use a PK to M42 adapter within an EOS to M42 adapter to use the lens effectively past 8ft.

I will check out a Canon forum as well.

Thanks.
05-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The Tomioka 55/1.2 has the largest rear element, but it should fit into an m42 adapter. As I have and use this lens on canon bodies, my m42-eos for takumars works fine.
05-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I have read of how Canoneers deal with protruding rear elements: shave the reflex mirror. Have fun!
That's some scary stuff! Why not just get a K-mount body to mount it on? Currently there are no expensive Pentax bodies.
05-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ISOtone Quote
I've got a bit of a dilemma. I own an M42 Tomioka 55 f/1.2 and it works just great on my Pentax LX, but I use a Canon T3i when I shoot digital. I've got the M42 to EOS adapter, but it doesnt work properly with the Tomioka. The Tomioka's rear element is so large that that it doesnt fit through the opening on the adapter ring.

What I'm wondering is, could I use a PK to EOS adapter and then use my Pentax PK to M42 inside of that to mount the Tomioka? Anyone tried this or have any experience with the Tomioka?
if your eos adapter doesn't mount the lens, then the simple answer is that you have a crappy adapter. I have never used this lens, but if its M42, then it has to have a standard screw thread diameter of 42mm. I'm not sure how the lens wouldn't fit, because the rear element would HAVE to fit inside the 42mm thread mount. otherwise it wouldn't be m42. therefore, if your adapter is m42/eos, then your lens should fit. period. this is why others have misunderstood your issue as a clearance one, because there should be no issues of fitting in regards to the actual mount. m42, is m42. maybe you could take some photos to better illustrate your issue, so we may understand better. as for your suggestion, I don't see why not. the m42/k adapter is designed to fit inside of the kmount, so if the k/eos adapter has a standard kmount, it should work just fine.

Last edited by séamuis; 05-30-2012 at 12:47 AM.
05-30-2012, 01:29 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
m42, is m42
m42, 1mm thread, to be exact, not m42/0.75mm or m42/0.50mm (soligor, sigma, rare optics)

My soligor m42 fits half way only.
05-30-2012, 01:35 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
m42, 1mm thread, to be exact, not m42/0.75mm or m42/0.50mm (soligor, sigma, rare optics)
I'm speaking of the diameter of the threads, not the pitch. which seems to be the issue here, or so I think. however, the designation of m42 mount is 42/1. anything else, isn't m42. I believe the 42/0.75 is T2 mount and is well known as being non mountable on m42 without cross threading. they are two different mounts. regardless, there is no reason to even be mentioning this, as it will only further confuse the thread.

the issue here is the OP is saying that the rear element doesn't fit through the opening of his m42/eos adapter. my issue with that is, that it should be impossible, because the rear element of the lens has to fit inside the 42mm wide diameter of the m42 mount, and the adapter has to have an opening of the same diameter. therefore, no fit issue should be had. it just doesn't add up, unless something else is going on that hasn't been explained properly. photos of the issue would be very helpful.
05-30-2012, 04:34 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Very true Séamuis - I think the OP got a different 'm42' thread for eos or may be not m42 as well.
Whatever m42 adapter, the lens must fit inside the adapter. Rear element of this lens is not sticking out more than just normal.

The OP is new on this forum (3rd post) as well.
05-30-2012, 05:10 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Very true Séamuis - I think the OP got a different 'm42' thread for eos or may be not m42 as well.
Whatever m42 adapter, the lens must fit inside the adapter. Rear element of this lens is not sticking out more than just normal.

The OP is new on this forum (3rd post) as well.
I would agree with this idea, which is precisely why I asked for photos. my question to the op, is: are you sure its an m42 adapter and not another screw thread adapter, such as M39 or LTM? there is simply no way the rear element can't fit into the adapter, if its m42. unless I am completely misunderstanding the ops problem.
05-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I am confused now.
Although I did not own this lens, I know how it looks.
As everyone said, M42 is standard M42.

May be he got a M39-EOS mount???

Unless he is referring to the flange clearance, it might happen with FF canon DSLR.
05-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #14

Original Poster
I've figured out the problem. I only have flanged M42 adapters. The flange is what is stopping the rear element from focusing all the way to infinity. So, I've ordered a flange-less adapter and hope this solves it.

The flange on the adapter has a smaller diameter than the throat diameter on my camera. The diameter of the 55 1.2 is just too large to fit through the opening of the flanged adapter.
05-31-2012, 06:23 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ISOtone Quote
I've figured out the problem. I only have flanged M42 adapters. The flange is what is stopping the rear element from focusing all the way to infinity. So, I've ordered a flange-less adapter and hope this solves it.

The flange on the adapter has a smaller diameter than the throat diameter on my camera. The diameter of the 55 1.2 is just too large to fit through the opening of the flanged adapter.
ah, ok, I see now. I'm actually surprised I didn't think of that, as we encounter the same questions here in regards to flanged m42/k adapters. you should have simply said the lens doesn't focus to infinity and we would have probably right away, got you the answer you needed. glad you got it figured out though. do share some photos here with the lens, as I think a lot of us would like to see its capabilities. its an expensive piece that few of us cheap pentax users are willing to pay for an m42 lens. you know, with all the takumars available.