Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #31

Original Poster
the big lenses may get hot sitting in the sun but everyone covers them up anyway lol

05-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

When Canon first started putting white lenses on the market, we were told that the white colour reflected heat, making the lenses less prone to thermal expansion, but the main reason was that white lenses aren't as prone to internal air thermals (that's the wavys you see when looking down a highway on a hot day). Apparently this was important to Canon.
Of course, white lenses on the sidelines of football games are pretty good free advertising for the brand.
05-31-2012, 05:18 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Of course, white lenses on the sidelines of football games are pretty good free advertising for the brand.
the real reason it was important to Canon of course.
05-31-2012, 05:45 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I thought they were matching lenses for the white "stormtrooper" Kx? And that there were lots and lots of we-want-a-white-DSLR threads over at the Canon forums...

05-31-2012, 11:18 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Some (rhetorical) questions:

If reflecting light+heat is the purpose, why not a mirrored metallic surface for maximum efficiency? And wouldn't mirrors be more noticeable? Gold-tinted, especially?

I suspect that toggers in combat zones might want something less conspicuous than a bright white or silver lens. So, does Canon make cammo versions?

Will different-colored bodies sell better if they have matching (or at leas color-coordinated) accessories? Where are our red lenses and grips?

Will the developers of customizable 'skins' for cameras and lenses become awesomely wealthy and famous? Are you working on it?

Last edited by RioRico; 05-31-2012 at 03:18 PM.
05-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Will different-colored bodies sell better if they have matching (or at leas color-coordinated) accessories? Where are our red lenses and grips?
Pentax do make a red 18-55 to match the red Kx & Kr cameras
05-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #37
Veteran Member

heck Pentax makes all sorts of colourful DA 35 2.4 al (including white of course)

05-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mirrored exteriors would reflect too much light and be a major nuisance to anyone standing near. Even a large white lens can reflect enough light to cause eye fatigue in the photographer, which might be why Nikon elected not to go that route. And I'm sure the actual magnitude of the thermal issues is relatively small, enough so that it might be legitimately traded off against the other concerns - and the desire for camouflage probably shouldn't be written off as a factor.
06-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the freaking enormous, heavy - 564lbs and expensive -just one element is about the same cost as a nice S500 sedan zeiss 1700 mm is white - and will require a custom made support to use it - THAT IS A HASSY 6X6 ON THE BACK
The front element is worth a couple S600 cars actually, but that includes the engineering and planning part for this unique lens.
06-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the freaking enormous, heavy - 564lbs and expensive -just one element is about the same cost as a nice S500 sedan zeiss 1700 mm is white - and will require a custom made support to use it - THAT IS A HASSY 6X6 ON THE BACK
The S500 could pay for one of the smaller lens elements, maybe... I know the price, you are really far from getting close.

Obviously a white lens has several advantages - sun light is reflected. Silver and golden colors would also have an effect, but reflexes could build up. You can really get into trouble with the sun shining on one side of thelens while the other side is in the shade. This effect can also be overcome with stronger mechanical support - something done for high-accuracy surveying instruments. Over the years each major player developed its own color. NIkon black, Canon white, Pentax silver - with severla nuances in between. Pentax used to have black or white super telefoto lenses, Leica weas black at first and became silber later, Nikon offers grey lenses, ... Heat and thermal expansion are important factors in the design of long lenses.
Pentax may offer a rainbow version as well as a pink version.
06-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The front element is worth a couple S600 cars actually, but that includes the engineering and planning part for this unique lens.
you're right of course i was having a senior moment on the model number of the car.

No idea what this lens cost in total but a million + would not be an unreasonable guess
06-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #42
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've got a big lens, and I am going to use it as soon as it is clear! Actually, it's my telescope. I finally got the eyepiece and t mount adapters in. Now I will see what happens with long exposures and auto tracking. It's goign to be fun. Of course I need to lug that heavy thing out to where there is no ambient light.