Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #1

Why do they make some Lenses White??

I have noticed alot of Canon lenses and even the upcoming Pentax 560mm is white, who thinks this is a good idea? Most of the time these lenses are used for wildlife where white sticks out like a sore thumb, and you have to cover it up with those camo socks.

05-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Also, it gets dirty...
I guess its just to make you pop out in the crowd LOL
Being a human you'll already pop out enough on the wild
05-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They sure are pretty ... especially if they say "Pentax"

05-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

the arguement is White is less sensitive to heat build up.

05-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Probably just to stand out (and make people think that you're a pro shooting with a white Canon L lens )

I personally prefer the black... although silver FA* lenses are pretty and stand out, the silver scratches off really easily. I'm just not a fan of the white.

05-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the arguement is White is less sensitive to heat build up.
That's a good point... but it wouldn't want to make me buy a white one even if I were going to spend all day in direct sunlight...
05-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #7

Original Poster
Really if white is less sensitive seems kinda lame.
05-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by coreyhkh Quote
Really if white is less sensitive seems kinda lame.
Might be lame, but pretty important on extreme tele lenses. The expansion of lens elements within the lens can throw focus off pretty far. Also, performance issues come into play when you have large lens elements changing size.

05-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Right, it's not about photogrpaher comfort, it's image quality - a lighter color lens has the potential to perform better, at least for large telephotos.
05-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Might be lame, but pretty important on extreme tele lenses. The expansion of lens elements within the lens can throw focus off pretty far. Also, performance issues come into play when you have large lens elements changing size.
Reminds me of the SR-71, when they it's in the hanger and they are fuelling it the need to put buckets under it to collect the fuel that drips out.
The aircrafts heats up in flight and so expands sealing the gaps.

QuoteQuote:
The high temperatures generated during flight required special design and operating techniques. For example, major portions of the skin of the inboard wings were corrugated, not smooth. (Aerodynamicists initially opposed the concept and accused the design engineers of trying to make a Mach-3 variant of the 1920s-era Ford Trimotor, known for its corrugated aluminum skin]) The heat of flight would have caused a smooth skin to split or curl, but the corrugated skin could expand vertically and horizontally. The corrugation also increased longitudinal strength. Similarly, the fuselage panels were manufactured to fit only loosely on the ground. Proper alignment was only achieved when the airframe heated up and expanded several inches. Because of this, and the lack of a fuel sealing system that could handle the thermal expansion of the airframe at extreme temperatures, the aircraft would leak JP-7 jet fuel on the runway. At the beginning of each mission, the aircraft would make a short sprint after takeoff to warm up the airframe, then refuel before heading off to its destination.
05-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Reminds me of the SR-71, when they it's in the hanger and they are fuelling it the need to put buckets under it to collect the fuel that drips out.
The aircrafts heats up in flight and so expands sealing the gaps.
That is terrifyingly awesome - I did not know that.
05-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #12
Banned

Photos: Albums
The first white telephoto lens were manual focus ones; also ones which were more effected in direct sunlight and/or heat - perhaps due to design. Some even featured a beyond infinity range to somewhat compensate for this. But also think about this one; just noting aperature ranges as example only. If the lens is in that much direct sunlight (and even if the subject is in a bit of shade) then one would most always not need a wide open aperature; and one would be able to stop down enough stops to have the depth of field cover any heat issue.

Even if that lens were in fact black and in both extreme sunlight and heat - it would be effected, but not much. BTW I saw this lens, but did not get to shoot through it while in Germany.
05-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
That is terrifyingly awesome - I did not know that.
From Wikipedia: (SR-71)
QuoteQuote:
Similarly, the fuselage panels were manufactured to fit only loosely on the ground. Proper alignment was only achieved when the airframe heated up and expanded several inches. Because of this, and the lack of a fuel sealing system that could handle the thermal expansion of the airframe at extreme temperatures, the aircraft would leak JP-7 jet fuel on the runway. At the beginning of each mission, the aircraft would make a short sprint after takeoff to warm up the airframe, then refuel before heading off to its destination.
05-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #14

Original Poster
Does the sigma 500mm F4.5 have issues with the heat? its black
05-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
Pentaxian

People claim it's due to heat build-up...yet Nikon's exotic telephoto line-up is black, and how many people complain about IQ with those lenses?