Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus slack - A 35-105mm f3.5

Bonjour,

I recently picked up a decent copy of a SMC A 35-105 which I like a lot ... but the lens seems to me to have a bit of "slack" and/or "play" in the focus ring, maybe just a faction of a millimeter of movement ... which seems a bit more pronounced in normal (non-macro mode) than in the upward shifted macro mode. The zoom ring is tight(er) and fluid in its throw.

It's not a detracting IMO for MF, but I wanted to get some input from other current and/or previous users of this lens. Have you experienced anything similiar? Just normal wear and tear or do I have a small problem? And finally, since I am asking, has anyone ever tried to repair and if so how?

Wow, that's a lot and any input will be greatly appreciated. As the French say, "Merci d'avance!"

Salut, John le Frog

05-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had mine for a few months and it's exactly the same: more slack in normal mode than in macro. Perhaps it's got something to do with the focusing ring being much more dampened in macro mode. I'd say mine has more slack than you describe, perhaps 0.5 mm. It's a bit rattly in general, but I've simply put that down to normal wear and tear for a 25 year old zoom. It doesn't bother me much, I soon got used to it. I've never felt a need to repair it, and I guess that would cost much more than the lens itself. If indeed there is anything to be repaired at all.

I think it's a great lens to use, manual focusing is just a joy with it: the subject really pops into focus, I don't feel any need for the green hexagon confirmation.
05-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
the lens seems to me to have a bit of "slack" and/or "play" in the focus ring, maybe just a faction of a millimeter of movement
Mine is the same - just a fraction of a mm of rotational movement or 'play' on the focus ring.

I would never even have thought of describing this as a problem with the lens - the degree of play is insignificant. It probably came like that out of the factory.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Optically - 15 elements in 13 groups - and mechanically it is quite a complex lens, so any adjustments or work on it will require great skill and precision.
05-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Merci pero ...

QuoteOriginally posted by pero Quote
I've had mine for a few months and it's exactly the same: more slack in normal mode than in macro. Perhaps it's got something to do with the focusing ring being much more dampened in macro mode. I'd say mine has more slack than you describe, perhaps 0.5 mm. It's a bit rattly in general, but I've simply put that down to normal wear and tear for a 25 year old zoom. It doesn't bother me much, I soon got used to it. I've never felt a need to repair it, and I guess that would cost much more than the lens itself. If indeed there is anything to be repaired at all.

I think it's a great lens to use, manual focusing is just a joy with it: the subject really pops into focus, I don't feel any need for the green hexagon confirmation.
Bonsoir pero,

Thanks a lot for your post and input ... sounds like a symptomatic characteristic with this lens. Not that I'm complaining.

Mine rattles a bit, too, but I didn't mention this at first ... sorry, forgot, but I'm gald that you mentioned it though.

OK, I feel a bit more reassured now, so "MERCI ENCORE !"

Allez et A+, John

05-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Merci vous aussi, rawr ...

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Mine is the same - just a fraction of a mm of rotational movement or 'play' on the focus ring.

I would never even have thought of describing this as a problem with the lens - the degree of play is insignificant. It probably came like that out of the factory.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Optically - 15 elements in 13 groups - and mechanically it is quite a complex lens, so any adjustments or work on it will require great skill and precision.
Bonsoir rawr,

Well just a plain big thank you for your input and advice ... greatly appreciated! The play could be seen as insignifigant, but unfortunatley I have this personal "perfection requirement" problem to deal with ... far too demanding and beyond the realm of rational sometimes.

So, thanks and I'm NOT going to worry about it anymore given what you and "pero" have answered. I just needed some feedback to be sure that this was a "faux" problem ... and I kind of like the minor play because it forces me to think twice about my MF and skills applications in this domain.

Allez ... enough said and "un grand merci vous!"

Salut, John