Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Sigma 24mm f/2.8 Super-Wide II would be a good choice. Here is a comparison with the 35mm f/2.4 DA-L (both at maximum aperture):

[/url] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/garrulusapis/7074526511/]Sigma 24mm Super Wide II F2.8[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/garrulusapis/]Dr 'B '[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">

[/url] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/garrulusapis/7074512749/]SMC Pentax-DA 35mm AL F2.4[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/garrulusapis/]Dr 'B '[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">

To compare results at other apertures see here: Pentax-fit prime lens comparison (24 - 55mm) - a set on Flickr

IMHO, both are fine lenses capable of producing equally fine, but different, results.

Jon

06-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Talanath Quote
Ok, so looks like I got my wires crossed a little! So, on digital, a 28mm vintage will display similarly to a normal 28mm - it's only only on a film camera I would notice the difference.
No, that's still off. All 28mm lenses look the same *when compared on a given camera*. Whether a lens was designed for film or digital makes *no difference whatsoever* to the FOV it produces. So a 28mm digital lens and 28mm film lens, when mounted to the same camera, produce exactly the same FOV. However, mounted to a film camera, they *both* produce a wider view than what they produce on digital. And it's not really even film versus digital - it's *size*. APS-C film existed before APS-C digital, and the FOV of a 28mm lens is narrower with APS-C film than it is with "regular" (135 format) film. Again, it doens't matter what the *lens* is; it matters what the *camera* is. Similar, "FF" digital cameras exist (not in Pentax-land), and a 28mm lens produces a wider FOV with FF digital than APS-C - again, *regardless* of what kind of 28mm lens it is.

BTW, in most modern PP software, you could in under one minute create a preset to do an automatic crop. Then you could apply that preset to hundreds of images at once in under a second, and re-use that preset next time too. PP is not just for the non-lazy!
06-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Marc is exactly right. Lenses don't change when moved between cameras. But different sizes of camera frames (film or sensor) capture different portions of the image projected by the lens. The frame crops the image. Here's my favorite example:

Cut a picture from a magazine. Draw a rectangle on it that's 60x45mm. Inside that, draw a 36x24mm rectangle. Inside that, a 24x18mm rectangle. Those are about the respective sizes of 645, 135/FF, and APS-C frames. The picture doesn't change. What changes is how much each frame *sees* of the picture.
06-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #19
Site Supporter

24mm

I like my Pentax 24-A lens, although that would cost too much for you to purchase at today's prices. Someone mentioned the sigma 24 super-wide and that should be more affordable. You could also go for a vivitar 19mm and crop the pic a little in post processing (KEH.com might have one). That would also cut out some of the flaws in the corners of that lens, according to the reviews. A 24mm on an APS-C sensor camera is a nice FOV. Good for events when capturing people. And the manual focusing + depth of field + shutter speed juggling act is a good challenge to learn how to do well. For my taste, I would like it even slightly wider, the 21mm Ltd. comes to mind but I have no funds for that.

Good luck!

Last edited by goldenarrow; 07-09-2017 at 09:31 PM.
06-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
For a MF 24mm the old Tamron Adaptall 24/2.5 is a good one to look for. Sometimes they're hidden in ebay listings with film bodies in unpopular mounts. Try searching for both "Adaptall" and the common misspelling "Adaptal".

Dang, now there will be more competition on those listings...
Good advice, look under film cameras, also check shopgoodwill.com and craigslist. Although lately shopgoodwill prices are higher than ebay, as rio said, bid often and lose a lot. I've got my best deals off craigslist, but it can be frustrating because people sell, don't remove their listings, and don't answer email. I recently got a Kiron 28/2, an ME Super, and a Bogen Manfrotto 3245 Monopod all for the price of the deluxe pizza. These deals don't happen often, but follow the leads. This was in a different city, but when I knew I was going I checked the craigslsit for that city.
06-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I would be on the lookout for *both* the Sigma 24/2.8 and Pentax 35/2.4 looking to get a good deal on both of them. The focal lengths complement eachother and are useful on both apsc and 35mm film.