Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

28 or 24?

I just bought a 28mm f/1.8 EX DG Sigma Lens, and it turned out to be defective. it was the last one in stock at B and H. called up sigma, and they said, I can send it to their service Dept...(which is in NY) . I can also return it to b and h and get the 24mm variety...(but pay the difference)

keep the 28 or go 24?

12-29-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My belief is you can never go too wide :-) However, as you apparently have the 18-55, I assume you are buying this for its low light potential. So, a fast 24 would be a good one to have. I don't know the dollar difference, but as the 28 was probably what you wanted, I'd let Sigma service it. You might end up with a very good one as it will be inspected and tested by trained people.
12-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
I have the Sigma 24mm EX DG. I like it a lot. Its main use is in low light situations and it does the job well.
I bought it to compliment my 18-125 & 135-400 Sigma kit.
Cheers
Grant
12-29-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

i just sent back an "only one left sigma lens" i think there is very often a reason for the odd lens hanging back.. the one i sent back will no doubt pop up somewhere else exactly the same as it did for me..

trog

12-29-2006, 04:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I would go for 24mm instead.

I would personally use that lens with indoor events like clubbing, partying, museum display etc. Though it is bulky, it is probably more suitable for indoor environment as everything tends to be crowded inside a room...

Looking forward to your post
12-29-2006, 10:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
my intention for the lens was for low light situations. or indoor shots....
I bought the 28mm cuz it was cheaper..the 24 is 70 dollars more. BUT, you can never go too wide.

I may be forced to send it to Sigma tho..I'm gonna go to B and H next week to see what I can do w/ it in terms of exchange. If I can, then yeah' i'll pick up the 24, if not...28 it is...

tnx for all the input...
12-30-2006, 05:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you should decide to send it to Sigma, you should know that their service is very fast and very good.

I had a 50-200 DC that the AF went out. They had it back to me within 10 days of my sending it, and it was better than new. Same with my EF500 DG flash. Sent it in to be rechipped for my K10, and they had it back to me within 10 days, just before Christmas, too.

I've been suitably impressed with their service. Pentax USA could take some lessons from them.

-Alan
12-30-2006, 06:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
how did you send out ur stuff to theM?
i mean what was teh whole process.

they told me to just mail it to them w/ the warranty card, copy of the receipt and a brief explanation of what's happening.....thats it?

yeah..when I called up sigma, the lady transferred me over...he picked up....put me on hold after I told him what happened....and a minute later he had a lens (same as mine) and similar bodies...after playing a bit...w/ his stuff...he told me..could be the lens....send it over...

by far one of the easiest CS i've dealt w/

oh yeah..did they fix the lens, or send you a new one?

01-23-2007, 05:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
got my lens back today after about 2 weeks. works great now, it said on the tech sheet that it was a broken flex board.

overall happy w/ sigma's service....
01-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I haven't checked yet. Have you posted any shots?
01-23-2007, 10:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
I haven't checked yet. Have you posted any shots?
not yet..bought a zune today too (to replace a broken zen) so i've been mostly playing w/ that....tested it out, but nothing worth posting. will put it through the paces soon enough....expect something more than a day's worth of shooting though...