Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #1

New K-5, what to get.

So I'm looking at getting a K-5 pretty soon here. (will be my first dslr)

I have found some kits with different lenses.

One being...
SMC DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR
SMC DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR

and another with...
DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR

There are both around the same price, the 18-135 could be about $75 less if I go with a used lens.

I been using super zoom cameras mostly and I really like the range I get, being able to zoom in on someone from across the room.

So my question is, are the two lenses going to give me better pictures then just using the 18-135 full time?

I know there's a 18-250 but I really like the idea of the lenses being weather sealed.
Now, I'm not going to be out in the rain/snow and taking pictures 24/7, Its nite to know if it happens things are safe.
So unless someone can talk me out of weather sealed I think the 18-250 would be off the list as my everyday lens.

Another question.
If I put a non-weather sealed lens on a weather sealed body, will that put the body at risk if I get caught in a rain storm, or only the lens?

05-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You sure you want the K5 and not the K30?
Difficult times, right now.

From what i know the 2 kit lenses are slightly better when it comes to image quality then the 18-135 but the later one i found a joy to use though.
If i need to chose i would go for the 18-135, since that one also has value later on as a great travelling lens.

about the WR question, well there is a big hole in the camera where the lens goes so what do you think?
05-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I strongly recommend just getting the 18-135 to start..............it's a relatively small lens with very good performance (IMHO)......
05-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'll also recommend the DA18-135WR. That's a very usable configuration -- decent focal range, good-enough optics, and weather sealing for those mucky environments. I personally prefer my DA18-250 and a plastic bag, but I avoid crawling around in mud-snow-slime-sand-pudding-etc. Hmmm, if I *plan* to crawl in crap, maybe I should get one myself... And as @Anvh mentioned, it will hold resale value better. Yeah, go for the WR. Just stay out of quicksand.

05-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I rather doubt the kit lenses are better than the 18-135. The 50-200, in particular, is not especially strong (compared to the DA55-300, for example).

In general, your best lenses should cost close to or more than the (rapidly depreciating) body. You might consider a used K-x or K-r with better glass. For example, a used K-x with a used DA*50-135 will amaze you. Then just add something like a Tamron 17-50 or similar lens. Or even start with the 18-55 kit lens for this range.

But if you insist on a K-5 or K-30 the 18-135 is probably the better choice overall. I still might buy an 18-135 today, but I never consider using my 18-55 kit lens.

A year from now, there will be plenty of people happy to sell you their K-5 or K-30 for a reduced price. And then when you do make the upgrade, you'll hardly notice the improvement because you'll already have great glass, which is what makes the biggest difference anyway.

Last edited by DSims; 05-31-2012 at 01:47 PM.
05-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K-5 is a great DSLR. The lenses mentioned are decent, but not outstanding. If you want lenses that equal the body's potential IQ, get a Tamron or Sigma 17-50/2.8. If you need WR, save for the DA16-50.
05-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nervosa Quote
So I'm looking at getting a K-5 pretty soon here. (will be my first dslr)

------
I been using super zoom cameras mostly and I really like the range I get, being able to zoom in on someone from across the room.

So my question is, are the two lenses going to give me better pictures then just using the 18-135 full time?

I know there's a 18-250 but I really like the idea of the lenses being weather sealed.
-------
Another question.
If I put a non-weather sealed lens on a weather sealed body, will that put the body at risk if I get caught in a rain storm, or only the lens?
It isn't straightforward to give you any firm and solid advice here.

This will be your first DSLR and much depends upon what you think you would like to photograph most of the time. Take me, for example; I tend to do most of my snapshots in the 28 - 80mm range, and I detest to have to change lenses all the time so, an 18-50mm lens or thereabout isn't really for me, (especially when I am on vacation). And, as you, I would like to have at least one WR lens, suitable for a bit of everything.

And you tell, you would like to have quite some zoom for shooting "across the room", which - as far as I can see - rules out the more costly lenses in the 16-70mm range.

To make a long story short, I finally went for the 18-135mm WR and I haven't regretted. I consider it a very fine walk-around lens for my K-5. It isn't the fastest lens, but in combination with the K-5's excellent ISO performance, I haven't really felt constrained so far. It's a joy to use, and image quality together with the excellent K-5 sensor is so fine, that you can easily crop a lot to get more "digital zoom effects" if that is desirable now and then.

But again, you will have to make up your mind what your (first) lens should be used for. And, no doubt, some day you will begint to contemplate more specialized lenses, but that joy and that expense can wait, can't they.............?

Regarding your second question: WR lenses have a special sealing where lens joins camera body. Without such a sealing, water can - when conditions are tough - seep into the camera body

05-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #8

As most other people said, I'd recommend the 18-135. I've used none of the lenses you've listed though. The 18-55 and 55-200 are individually significantly lighter than the 18-135, but I expect the IQ and usability of the 18-135 to be higher. And if you get the lens-buying bug, the 18-135 will remain more useful than either the 18-55 or 55-200 will. Or sell better.
05-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nervosa Quote
I been using super zoom cameras mostly and I really like the range I get
Any of the kits availible will carry a huge increase in image quallity compared to your super-zoom-camera... Get whichever kit is cheapest the day you're buying and get saving for some prime-lenses... DA35-2.4 & DA50-1.8 should be on your 'want-list' if you're wanting to see massive IQ increases over your super-zoom...
05-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Get a fix lens, makes you think more. 35mm is good start.
05-31-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
And you tell, you would like to have quite some zoom for shooting "across the room", which - as far as I can see - rules out the more costly lenses in the 16-70mm range.
This is why the OP should seriously consider the K-30 instead of the K-5. If the Auto Focus improvements are as significant as they're suggesting, you'll definitely want the K-30 when shooting indoors or in low light.

I'd still suggest the used K-x or K-r with a DA*50-135 (the f/2.8 will also help indoors), but the K-30 kit with the DA18-135 would be the next best thing, and a good value at $1200.

Last edited by DSims; 05-31-2012 at 04:10 PM.
05-31-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I like my 18-135 and will also highly recommend it. You don't want to have to carry an extra lens around while traveling, and you don't want to swap lenses in the middle of wet conditions, that defeats the whole idea. Even if you take the camera indoors to change lenses, you won't want to do that while the camera and lens are actually wet, rather you would want the gasket area to dry first, which could take a while. Why deal with the hassle.

Also, the 18-135 is a pretty good range, as far as I am concerned -- although this is a matter of personal taste. My opinion (just mine) is that a 50-200 range is kind of limiting. For me, if I had the 50-200 mounted, I would also have to carry the shorter zoom along as well.

If you buy the 18-135, it could very well be the only zoom lens you need, except for maybe something like a 70-300 later, and/or some primes.
05-31-2012, 06:21 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
According to Photozone's test, the DA18-135 is abysmal at 85mm and higher. Below 85mm, the DA18-55 is better wide open, the DA18-135 is better stopped down. Neither is a great performer.

05-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would get the 18-135 with the knowledge that eventually (say, a year) you will likely know what focal length you use most and will then start buying the appropriate lenses. I would not recommend a single focal length ("prime") lens when starting out unless you like disappointment and frustration :-) You will always wish you had something wide or longer more often than if you have something with range.

Last edited by SpecialK; 05-31-2012 at 08:45 PM.
05-31-2012, 07:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
the DA18-135 is abysmal at 85mm and higher.
Since I don't own the 18-135, I thought I'd take a look at the Pentax Photo Gallery. While it's no DA* lens, I'm having trouble finding the shots that are abysmal:

PENTAX : Select a PENTAX interchangeable lens camera or a lens model

I also don't see the 18-55 kit lens quite matching it - despite the efforts of Julie Quarry and others who've worked wonders with the 18-55.

Last edited by DSims; 05-31-2012 at 07:55 PM.