Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax-A 1:1.7 lens question

I purchased a Pentax ME body with Pentax-A 1;1.7 lens attached. I bought this for the lens and not the body. My question about the lens is in regards to the f-stop ring. When rotating the ring it does not have click stops and the button for the auto feature does not really press in and hold the ring in that position. The glass is clean and the f-stops work (in the auto or manual modes) with my *ist DL, but is the lens worth keeping? Is the described characteristics a sign of hidden problems? Thanks for any help or opinions on this post.

01-20-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd say keep it if you can still adjust the aperture using the camera body. It's a great lens. FWIW to sell it in good faith you'd have to disclose the problems you mentioned to potential buyers, which means you would probably take a loss on it anyway.
01-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by ckbboy Quote
I purchased a Pentax ME body with Pentax-A 1;1.7 lens attached. I bought this for the lens and not the body. My question about the lens is in regards to the f-stop ring. When rotating the ring it does not have click stops and the button for the auto feature does not really press in and hold the ring in that position. The glass is clean and the f-stops work (in the auto or manual modes) with my *ist DL, but is the lens worth keeping? Is the described characteristics a sign of hidden problems? Thanks for any help or opinions on this post.

What that would indicate to me is....

Someone has already had this lens apart. Below the aperature ring is a tiny ball bearing resting on a spring which acts as the detent and holds the ring at the chosen f/stop. If someone has had it apart, chances are the little ball bearing fell onto their carpet to never be seen or heard from again.

I took an old, fungus filled, lens apart to see how all of this works.

No ball bearing, no detent.
01-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #4

The A50/1.7 has a pretty dinky aperture ring compared to other A lenses and of course, K and M lenses. If you keep it on "A" and it works normally, I would continue using it, and avoid using numerical fstops since eventually the continued use of it might be an issue.

01-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. The information was valuable in helping me decide to keep the lens.
01-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
Inactive Account

This is extremely coincidental. This is how I got my f1.7A - attached to an ME body.

What seems to have happened is that someone opened up the lens and lost the ball bearing that helps it click into each stop.

This might help you make up your mind about keeping it:

By the way, you lookin' to sell that ME?