Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
What's the 'famous SDM' issue? New-to-me K200D, learning which of my grab bag of lenses from old manual KX will do some things automatically
Two lenses with "A" option for aperture:

-- a "Pentax F-Zoom 28-80 f3.5-4.5" (all white letters, the 'better' variety per reviews posted here) seems like it should autofocus but doesn't.
I feel some bumping and grinding underneath the focus ring when it tries. Sounds a bit like the problem described here -- fixable?

-- a "SMC Pentax F 1:4-5.6 35-80" does autofocus

I've been going through the database info, curious if the 28-80 should autofocus on the K200D or not.

EDIT -- after rereading the earlier posts I tried 'encouraging' the 28-80 lens to focus automatically, and it clearly does when helped a bit -- it's apparently much stiffer internally somewhere. So I (blush) tried both lenses off the camera using a very small screwdriver in the driver opening on the lens mount -- and can confirm the 28-80 is just very stiff -- it does turn when driven by hand.

(I notice old reviews of the 28-80 'white lettering' say its zoom is very stiff-- and this one definitely is. Guess focusing maybe is also)

By comparison the 35-80 turns very smoothly and easily.

So the K200D body's driving whatsit is just camming out of the slot in 28-80 lens that won't turn easily, which makes good sense.

(Never noticed this stuff obviously when using the lenses on the manual KX).

Any thoughts or pointers welcome -- if it's a known problem, or there's a known description, I want to at least be able to explain the problem if I give the lens to someone else. It's a cheap lens, so I wouldn't mind trying to fix it I suppose.

Last edited by ankh; 02-26-2013 at 01:14 PM.