Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2008, 04:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update

Just a follow-up a few weeks later: another of the Sigma 50 mm f2.8 EX DG macros appeared on eBay and I won this one for a much more reasonable AUS$230 plus postage, or roughly $200 less than one that I originally posted about in this thread.

It arrived today and is in perfect condition; I have to say it is also a damn fine lens, great value at a fair second hand price.

I'm sure the other guy is enjoying the one he bought. For $430.

02-08-2008, 05:03 AM   #17
Veteran Member

That guy is just simply not doing his home work!

Congrads on the great macro - it is such a great lens to own. I would love to see a head to head comparision between sigma 50mm macro vs DFA 50mm macro
02-08-2008, 06:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Watching what has been occuring I have concluded that several factors may be converging:
1. Weak US dollar
2. Increasing technological knowledge around the world but not necessarily sophistication
3. A growing appreciation of PTX products, strategies, and quality v. CANIKON, etc.

In any case, it is fascinating..............
02-08-2008, 07:16 AM   #19
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not so good for the Aussie market or economy - but what choice do they leave consumers?

I made my last mistake buying my K100D + Sigma 18-50 (the cheap one) + Sigma 70-300 (yep, the cheap one again) for $1000 about 9 months ago. And I thought I got a good deal (Ted's were trying to sell it to me for $1100).

A little research and I would have found out I paid a few hundred dollars extra to what I could have gotten from the US posted to me within 7 days.

I've since never gone back to the shops for anything other than processing photos...

02-08-2008, 07:47 AM   #20

OK. No problem to me. AUS$426.50 for one of your lenses, right?
Let me blind pick, hmm... Since you don't have Sigma 50/2.8 Macro, let me pick another macro. Is 200/4.0 fine with you?

kyrios

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I hope these people will bid my lenses like that

Last edited by kyrios; 02-08-2008 at 08:32 AM.
02-08-2008, 07:49 AM   #21

word to dat. wont even go in a camera shop here anymore. adorama all the way.
02-08-2008, 08:04 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I'm living in Australia and are new to digital slr. I was just wondering how safe it is to purchase lenses etc on ebay or through USA websites? Do they stand by warranties? What questions should you ask the sellers/ lookout for? Are refunds or exchanges a problem? How do you know it isn't grey market?

With the current strength of the OZ $ to the green back, purchasing from the States can save quite a few $$$...tempting to buy online...however, I haven't been the USA yet, maybe another good reason to visit!!!

Daz

Last edited by dazman; 02-08-2008 at 10:19 AM.
02-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think eBay is very much caveat emptor -- buyer beware -- although I have never had a problem in the couple of years I've been using it. I check out the seller feedback ratings and do exercise some caution, and while I've read of horror stories or simple disappointments, perhaps I've been lucky so far.

As other Aussie posters have said, prices in Australia are not cheap and with the weakness of the US dollar (I hesitate to call the Aussie dollar strong but i guess it's all relative) you will find big savings at US vendors like Adorama and B&H.

I've been playing around with photography since the early 70s and I can certainly remember Adorama adverts in the US magazines back then, I think B&H also. These guys have been around for yonks and I have no hesitation in saying the stuff they sell is not grey market and they are highly reputable and honorable companies.

I've not used Adorama, only B&H. No specific reason really, the prices and range of products seem much the same. I personally find the B&H website a little easier to navigate than Adorama, but others may find the opposite. It's a little fiddly for the first B&H purchase as you have to e-mail scans of your credit card -- yeah, fiddly, but hey they are protecting the buyer's interests as well as their own. Nothing wrong with that, in my book.

It really disappoints me to have to say this, Daz, but you are well advised to check out the price of equipment at the US sites rather than buying in Australia, even from local companies with terrific prices like Digital Camera Warehouse, the Americans are still cheaper (at the moment).

And don't forget that Australian Customs does not charge duty on mailed items under AUS$1,000 in value -- the amount of duty on the zillions of such items coming into the country is not worth the time necessary to process the paperwork.

Last edited by G M Fude; 02-08-2008 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Changed "buyer feedback" to "seller feedback" - 'cos that's what I meant!
02-09-2008, 09:08 AM   #24
Veteran Member

thanks for that info, Steve.
Daz
02-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WendyB Quote
I have listed many F series lenses and I have had to honestly stop bidders who do not have a clue. I have another post in this section of the forum in regards this subject.

About two weeks ago I had a FA 28-80 that was bid up to 120.00 US and had to message the three bidders that were in a bidding battle that the lens really should only sell in the 40-50 range on a good day.

All three of them canceled their bids and returned replies that they were looking for inexpensive lenses for their K100/K10D's and could I please give them some advice.

There are days where I spend more time replying to lens questions than time is available. Most come from the point and shoot transition that have never even thought about why they bought a DSLR. The fun part of answering is explaining there is a four letter word involved with an SLR camera, WORK, and educating themselves.

If you think the K-mount lens market is going wild as of late its going to get even more wild and crazy in a few short days.
me thinks some folks get in auction and assume the other bidder has sense enough to know when to stop.

There has been some justification for amazing prices on long glass since Pentax has neglected to make any recently, but he fascination for for the old SMC and Pentax-M glass blows me away. Sure its usable, but to pay king's ransom for glass that is 'barely usable' makes no sense to me. I made a point of getting rid of all my pre SMC-A glass 5 or 6 years ago
02-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #26

eBay madness...

yep, i also purchased my K100D with the crappy Sigma 18-50 kit lens, and ive ended up bidding on obscure, oddball lens to try and get around the ridiculous prices people are willing to pay for SMC glass...im only new to SLR photography and on a limited budget but id like to think i could occasionally find a bargain on a reasonable fully manual 24 or 28mm wide prime..

arfter giving my Sigma 18-50 its last chance last night on some lightning, and being disappointed miserably (bloody thing is soft as set at 5.6 and infinity...)im thinking i could stick that lens on the bay to help build up my pay-pal fighting fund...im sure someone would pay ridiculous money for it...

of the oddball lens i have won, i think the tokina SZ-X 630 (60-300mm Pentax KA-Ricoh RK mount) , once i worked out the issues was the best value at $46 including postage...even then some judicious file work was required so it would mount on the Pentax...

Last edited by ferals_m38; 02-09-2008 at 04:57 PM.
02-09-2008, 11:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Steve and Others...Would you buy camera bodies (with warranties) from ebay or are your purchases mainly lenses & accessories.
Daz
02-09-2008, 11:42 PM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by G M Fude Quote
There have been comments in other threads about the current popularity of secondhand Pentax-mount lenses on eBay and elsewhere. I understand it's a global thing, and it is happening Downunder, too. The latest auction which ended here yesterday saw a used Sigma 50 f2.8 EX DG Macro go for AUS$426.50, a lens I could buy today and have delivered from B&H to my doorstep in Melbourne brand new with a warranty for AUS$355.

Now if it was a rare discontinued glass I would not be so surprised. But this just doesn't make sense. Yes it's a damn fine lens but why pay more than new price when it is a readily available shelf item? This is probably the worst case I've seen, but there've been other examples where I'm left scratching my head in wonder at the final bid.

I guess the moral is, on auction sites, "Know the value of the item you are bidding on."
It is world wide, glad I bought a slew when I did
02-09-2008, 11:46 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
Steve and Others...Would you buy camera bodies (with warranties) from ebay or are your purchases mainly lenses & accessories.
Daz
Lenses and accessories.
02-09-2008, 11:58 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by G M Fude Quote

And don't forget that Australian Customs does not charge duty on mailed items under AUS$1,000 in value -- the amount of duty on the zillions of such items coming into the country is not worth the time necessary to process the paperwork.
Recently, I had been charged GST and custum service fee up to 220 AU or so for 1 canon lens of 900 declared value (2nd hand lens but brand new price is well under AU 1000 dollars).

The custom charged me anyway and asked me to pay for the tax. Otherwise, the item would be sent back to the sender!

It happened twice to me already. So make sure the total value is well under 800 AU

I had Fa 31 ltd sent to me via BHphoto last year. The postage was added to the total value and was slightly few dollars more above AU 1000 dollars. I received GST as well.

So buy it cheap and quote it cheap.