Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Used lens buying frenzy continues in Australia

There have been comments in other threads about the current popularity of secondhand Pentax-mount lenses on eBay and elsewhere. I understand it's a global thing, and it is happening Downunder, too. The latest auction which ended here yesterday saw a used Sigma 50 f2.8 EX DG Macro go for AUS$426.50, a lens I could buy today and have delivered from B&H to my doorstep in Melbourne brand new with a warranty for AUS$355.

Now if it was a rare discontinued glass I would not be so surprised. But this just doesn't make sense. Yes it's a damn fine lens but why pay more than new price when it is a readily available shelf item? This is probably the worst case I've seen, but there've been other examples where I'm left scratching my head in wonder at the final bid.

I guess the moral is, on auction sites, "Know the value of the item you are bidding on."

01-20-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
cmv

Many buyers aren't educated on their options. It's as simple as that.
01-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
Inactive Account

some people think that they'll be hit with import duty, gst etc. if they get stuff from adorama/b&h. which they will, if they go over AUS$999.99 (inc.postage)... but only if they do go over that amount.
01-20-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cmv Quote
And chances are, the buyer would have asked "will this lens fit on my Eos 400D?"

Yes, it's frustrating. It's one of my biggest beefs with eBay - instead of letting others (ie, myself) pick up a bargain, the winning bidder'll instead bid that f1.4 50mm M lens in reasonable condition to with %2 of the price of a mint condition example of the same lens from KEH.com.

Incidentally, booksellers, of all people, are trying to get the that $999.99 limit lowered down to $20, to stop people buying books on Amazon.com (which, for the non-Antipodeans here, is something we don't have.)

01-20-2008, 07:06 PM   #5

Maybe he looked at the local pricing?

Camera Warehouse online in Australia has this same lens for $699 AUD, such a deal. Based on that price the buyer did well at $426.50 AUD. Seems the high prices are not limited to ebay, imagine paying $699 for it.

Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG | Camera-Warehouse

Matix

Last edited by matix; 01-20-2008 at 09:43 PM.
01-20-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Aye, I'm happy for the buyer, but considering it's $239US from Amazon...Amazon.com: sigma f2.8 50mm pentax

(Edit: Woot! A Brisvegan Pentax-wielding Asterix fan!)
01-20-2008, 09:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are the prices on that Camera Warehouse link representative of what you would pay for new camera equipment in Australia?

I'm curious because the listed prices are about 20-30 % higher (even after the 13% tax in Ontario) than you would pay for the same gear in Canada, and our prices are usually also higher than American pricing.

01-20-2008, 10:30 PM   #8

Well it is certainly what they ASK, there is some room for negotiation in retail stores, but not usually from online stores, but yes... that is a reasonable sample of pricing. That is why I buy most of my lenses from off shore, there is no reason to pay those prices.. but I guess comparitively speaking, they are close to pricing in many parts of the UK and Europe. The US and Canada, and Japan have the best pricing I have found.

Someone in the pipeline is making the extra bucks, but it is not the consumer or as I understand the retailer. Try and ask why, and many reasons are given, most if not all of them totally unreasonable.

Matix

Last edited by matix; 01-20-2008 at 10:42 PM.
01-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cmv Quote
I have listed many F series lenses and I have had to honestly stop bidders who do not have a clue. I have another post in this section of the forum in regards this subject.

About two weeks ago I had a FA 28-80 that was bid up to 120.00 US and had to message the three bidders that were in a bidding battle that the lens really should only sell in the 40-50 range on a good day.

All three of them canceled their bids and returned replies that they were looking for inexpensive lenses for their K100/K10D's and could I please give them some advice.

There are days where I spend more time replying to lens questions than time is available. Most come from the point and shoot transition that have never even thought about why they bought a DSLR. The fun part of answering is explaining there is a four letter word involved with an SLR camera, WORK, and educating themselves.

If you think the K-mount lens market is going wild as of late its going to get even more wild and crazy in a few short days.
01-20-2008, 11:51 PM   #10

Yep, people are just being insane and stupid too lately!! Running up used glass to more then it costs new!!

Prime example.. Guy was selling a Sigma 28-105mm f/2.8-f/4 used.. just lens caps and hood... no box no nothing. Lens had a small 4mm scratch extending from the top edge towards the middle on the front element.. but it caused no IQ problems at all. But he still had it as a BIN Auction for $110.00 + $12.95 S&H, I sent him a message and asked if it didn't sell if he would relist as a BIN at a much more reasonable price.. thinking $50 to $75 absolute max, especially considering the scratch, since this lens sells brand new for $149.95.

Nope, he said he would do it for $110 shipped, but that was cheapest he would go!! ROFLMFAO!! I didn't even bother responding back!

I have seen folks running up well used Vivitar 105mm f/3.5 macros (the Phoenix/Cosina/etc. models) up to either within $20 of a brand new one or $30-$40 over what a new one costs!! And these were US buyers too!!!

People have honestly lost their marbles as of late when it comes to Pentax glass on Ebay!!!
01-20-2008, 11:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Even the M42 lenses are shooting up in price. I remember last year, Jupiter-9s were still plentiful in the $70 BIN range. Try finding that on ebay now haha.
01-21-2008, 12:27 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by digitaldevo Quote
Yep, people are just being insane and stupid too lately!! Running up used glass to more then it costs new!!

Prime example.. Guy was selling a Sigma 28-105mm f/2.8-f/4 used.. just lens caps and hood... no box no nothing. Lens had a small 4mm scratch extending from the top edge towards the middle on the front element.. but it caused no IQ problems at all. But he still had it as a BIN Auction for $110.00 + $12.95 S&H, I sent him a message and asked if it didn't sell if he would relist as a BIN at a much more reasonable price.. thinking $50 to $75 absolute max, especially considering the scratch, since this lens sells brand new for $149.95.

Nope, he said he would do it for $110 shipped, but that was cheapest he would go!! ROFLMFAO!! I didn't even bother responding back!

I have seen folks running up well used Vivitar 105mm f/3.5 macros (the Phoenix/Cosina/etc. models) up to either within $20 of a brand new one or $30-$40 over what a new one costs!! And these were US buyers too!!!

People have honestly lost their marbles as of late when it comes to Pentax glass on Ebay!!!
Yep, I hear you on that I had an SMC F 50 1.7 run up to $225 three months ago. It was pristine but $225?

Last edited by WendyB; 01-21-2008 at 12:30 AM. Reason: dyslexic fingers
01-21-2008, 03:12 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Are the prices on that Camera Warehouse link representative of what you would pay for new camera equipment in Australia?

I'm curious because the listed prices are about 20-30 % higher (even after the 13% tax in Ontario) than you would pay for the same gear in Canada, and our prices are usually also higher than American pricing.
Yup. I'm hoping someone high in Hoya Pentax (ie, someone in Japan) reads all these disgruntled Aussie posts and tells CRK to pull their head in.

Another example: When I was shopping around, I was regularly quoted it would be about $490-ish for the FA f1.4 50mm.

Which is pretty much what it'd cost me to get the 43mm Limited from the States.

And K10D's are still up around the $1000 mark.

So, yeah - shopping for Pentax here is like paddling a horse carcass around of Ceduna.
01-21-2008, 03:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I have to agree with all the foregoing. Prices for Pentax gear in Australia IMHO border on extortion.
I have bought a number of lens overseas, (B & H, ebay etc) and have saved considerable sums in doing so.
Wake up Australian retailers and get the prices down to a realistic level.
01-21-2008, 05:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I hope these people will bid my lenses like that