Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Problem with 60/250 f4

I have been using my 60/250mm F4 Pentax lens for more than a year and yesterday it stuck at it's closest focus of 3.6 feet.. This has me in a panic as I am leaving for the Galapagos on a photo trip in just over 2 weeks.. Has anyone had a similar problem? Anyone have any idea of how to expedite a repair???
any info would be greatly appreciated.

06-01-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would get on the phone with criscam right away - since you are close to Arizona you could have the lens in their hands by Monday. Call and ask their turn around time for repairing your lens.

Camera Repair by CRIS Camera Services: Digital Camera Repair: Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Pentax, Ricoh, Sigma

When I sent my K-5 to them for repair, their turn around time was great - received by them on a Wednesday and repaired and shipped back to me the following Wednesday - that is 5 business days in house.

Good luck - I know I would be sitting on the edge of my seat trying to get that lens repaired in time!
06-01-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

sounds like you have a good chance to get it repaired but you may want to have a rental as a backup...sorry that sucks!!!
06-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the responces.. I have sent it overnight to the repair place in AZ.. spoke to them and they sounded like it might be possible to get it back in time.. should know for sure on Monday or Tuesday.

06-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Good luck for a speedy return.

When SDM on mine failed, for a while I used an 1.7AFA with the 625, and 'sort of' got an AF 100-420mm f/5.6 lens...
06-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pelham Quote
Thanks for the responces.. I have sent it overnight to the repair place in AZ.. spoke to them and they sounded like it might be possible to get it back in time.. should know for sure on Monday or Tuesday.
Sounds like they are being very responsive - let us know how it works out.
06-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
They have stayed in touch very well.. but unfortunately the autofocus motor is shot and they have to get that from Japan.. so I am dead with this lens for the Galapagos.. I have a few other lenses including a Sigma 70-300 so I guess I'll be using that one.. it seems to be a pretty good lens and most of the stuff in the Galapagos should be pretty straight forward stuff.. and my Pentax 17 to 70 should work out well.. I have 2 K5 bodies.

06-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pelham Quote
They have stayed in touch very well.. but unfortunately the autofocus motor is shot and they have to get that from Japan.. so I am dead with this lens for the Galapagos.. I have a few other lenses including a Sigma 70-300 so I guess I'll be using that one.. it seems to be a pretty good lens and most of the stuff in the Galapagos should be pretty straight forward stuff.. and my Pentax 17 to 70 should work out well.. I have 2 K5 bodies.
Thanks for updating. It is a shame they don't have the motor in stock - you would think they would since these SDM motors seem to see quite a few failures. At least they communicated with you and looked at the lens right away.

Have you thought about buying a used one temporarily for your trip then reselling when you return? There are a couple for sale here on the Marketplace right now plus a DA* 300.
06-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

sorry about that ....wish it could have been fixed...buying one isn't a bad idea if you get it at a decent price