Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
snip......... though I would like a good telescope with a K mount adapter someday.
I have a 1000mm celestron C90 with a T mount adaptor, i need to get back at playing with it.

06-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have a 1000mm celestron C90
That's one of the exact models I was considering. How do you like it?
06-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
That's one of the exact models I was considering. How do you like it?
Mine is quite an old model, I got it about 20 years ago.

It is quite sharp and focuses down to about 2 meters, whcih is 1:1 macro with a 1000 mm lens, but takes about 50 turns of the focusing collar on mine to do that

for the focal length it is quite light obviously.

drawbacks are lack of contrast (common with mirrors but easy to fix.) slow focusing speed, and one other thing to look out for - vibration.

You can imagine with a 1000 mm lens vibration can be a killer. I don't know the new lens construction, but mine has a rubberized impact cover on it, and they mount the tripod mount through the rubber. as a result, there was a lot of vibration to be dealt with. I have now fixed that, but not really had much chance to take it out and shoot, because i bought a new toy, a tamron 200-500/5.6 and I am playing now with the new toy.

As a spotting scope, It is quite good, and I have both a 25mm ocular and a 4 mm ocular (for astronomy) I also have a 2x barlow, and a right angle erect image finder.

I have used it as a scope, to view the rings of saturn and the moons of jupiter. but it needs an equatorial mount for that.
06-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Considering only a 1 full stop gain over the Bigma, was the flash really all that necessary, or was it also an issue of not having the high ISO capability of the latest cameras.
The difference is not the extra stop but there is a massive difference in optics quality. One of my first photos with the 500mm was a black cockatoo in the shade in the canopy of a tree. I could see detail in the feathers. With the bigma is would have been a black smudge. The Bigma has too many bits of glass inside.

This is a very heavily cropped image of a bird of prey taken with the 500mm in good light. It's amazing what a prime can do

Attached Images

06-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a 1000mm celestron C90 with a T mount adaptor, i need to get back at playing with it.
I just picked up a 910mm refractor today for chump change. When I get a DSLR again, its already slated to get an adapter for it so I can shoot at distance. I was checking it out to see how it worked this afternoon on some pigeons about 4 blocks away and was able to make out their beady little eyes.

It was an 'if only' moment for me.