Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #31
Veteran Member

First image is the full frame at f/2.0 with my da*55. I wouldnt need to stop down any more if it wasnt for DoF

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/131199d1339093173-da-55-vs-fa-77-ltd-_igp3195-2.jpg

Second image is 100% crop without any sharpening in Post

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/131200d1339093173-da-55-vs-fa-77-ltd-_igp3195-3.jpg

And with a touch of sharpening

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/131201d1339093173-da-55-vs-fa-77-ltd-_igp3195-4.jpg

Its my go to lens for bad weather, I like this better than my DA*50-135. Imagine this lens on a FF!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Wouldn't help unless they also incorporated the necessary mechanism on the camera body to allow full use of the aperture ring. And it still seems rather as waste to me, as most exposure modes require you to leave the thing in "A" anyhow, and even in "M" mode, a second dial on the camera is just as fast/convenient.
It's not a waste if you also shoot film as well as digital. It is a huge plus, as very few of the bodies most of us love will work well without the ring.
06-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
There are a couple of excellent MF solutions, if you can find them.
Cheaper and more compact: K or A 24/2.8.
More expensive, but maybe the ultimate on APS-C: Zeiss ZK 25/2.8.
The problem is often trying to find things at the condition I prefer. I've never had much connection with dedicated manual focus lenses. The only one I've kept around is a Chinon 55mm f1.7 M42 lens because I like the handling and rendering of the lens. With the fast paced convention photography I do a lot, I prefer lenses with all of the bells and whistles like AF. However, the K-01 changes that a bit with focus peaking. I'm pretty impressed with how quickly and spot-on I can focus manually. That being said, I might consider manual focus for unique or special lenses in the future.
06-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
It's not a waste if you also shoot film as well as digital. It is a huge plus, as very few of the bodies most of us love will work well without the ring.
+1
This is what I meant. Pentaxians are proud of the fact that old lenses work with new bodies...but new lenses without aperture rings do not work with old film bodies.

06-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
but new lenses without aperture rings do not work with old film bodies.
They do on the Super-A and film cameras with the appropriate mount. I've got some beautiful shots from a Super-A and my DA 35 f/2.4. You can't use any that are incompatible with Tv mode, but it's not like you can't use them at all.
06-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA* 55 is an excellent lens. Sure, it may not be the sharpest lens wide open, but I find that if the focus is nailed, sharpness is plenty good. And stopped down? Don't even ask... It's awesome.
06-12-2012, 03:12 AM   #37
Veteran Member

one friend told me that he was very content with the image quality, but not with the AF speed. he told me that SDM reduces AF speed and the lens being an f1.4 and making fine AF adjustments slow down the focusing speed even more.

is it the case, or my friends has too high expectations? how is the focusing speed compared to FA's ?