Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Vivitar Lens Question (35-105 screw mount)

My dad has an old Canon camera that he bought back in the 1970's.

In his bag there is a screw mount lens made by vivitar. Its got vivitar stamped all over it.

The specs on it are 35mm-105mm zoom. f stop ranges from 3.5 to 16. It even has an "M" and an "A" setting on it. It says "35-105mm 1:3.5 auto zoom" across the front and has "No. 37716116" on the front of the lens.

The lens is in mint condition... (my dad bought it in the 1970's about when I was born and he has been the only user of it ever, and he never used it.

It is a screw mount so I figured I possibly could use it on my new K-5. (What the hey! Why not try eh?)

First question--- were all screw mount lenses made using the same screw? If so what kind of adapter will I need to be able to use this bad boy? It has one on there for a Canon right now.

Can anyone tell me anything about this lens? Can anyone tell me where to find an adapter ring for it that will fit a pentax?

Are all screw mount lenses made the same? (so if I buy a few (3 or 4) adapters I can put them on any future screwmount lens purchases)

Thanks!!!

06-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html
06-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If it's a screwmount Vivitar mixed with old Canon stuff, it could be T-mount (*), with the T-FD adapter removed. Like our common M42 screwmount lenses, T-mounts have a 42mm thread, but with a different pictch than M42. Easy way to find out: get a cheap M42-PK adapter or M42 macro tube. GENTLY try to thread it onto the Vivitar. If it jams, it's T-mount. If it doesn't jam, then it's M42. The M/A switch is a hint that it could indeed be M42 -- I haven't seen such switches on T-mount lenses. But I haven't seen them all, so I could have missed that detail.

If it's T-mount, you can find T2-PK adapters on eBay for US$5-10. If it is M42, you should get one Official Pentax M42-PK adapter: safe, dependaable, a bit tedious, not quite cheap. Tedious, because it turns the PK SLR into a screwmount camera. See the Pentax Store or the Marketplace here for availability. If you plan to get many M42 lenses, heed me: I buy batches of cheap M42-PK adapters, clones of the Official Pentax guy. I remove the screw and clip SO I WON'T GO APESHIT (intact adapters tend to jam on the camera). I use a PK rear lens cap as a wrench to tighten the adapter on the lens. I've had some adapters mounted for so long that I've almost forgotten the lenses aren't PK native.

No, not all screwmounts are the same. Besides M42 and T2 (easily confused) are also M39-L39-LTM (also easily confused) and various odd threads: M37 and M44 are fairly rate; enlarger-projector-copy-xray-etc lenses come in many threads. At this point, don't involve yourself with anything that isn't 42mm. Have fun!

(*) T-mount: a 'universal' mount system, where a T-lens could take any number of adapters to be mounted on Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Canon etc cameras. The most common version uses T2 adapters, allowing for easy interchange. Are also TX and T4, not the same at all. Another 'universal' mount was the Adaptall system, also not compatible with T-mount.

Last edited by RioRico; 06-02-2012 at 12:34 PM.
06-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
If it is M42, you should get one Official Pentax M42-PK adapter: safe, dependaable, a bit tedious, not quite cheap. See the Pentax Store or the Marketplace here.
You can't buy it from Pentax anymore. If you ask Pentax about it they will tell you it has been discontinued. You can still buy the 645 to K adapter for $236.

06-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have been looking on ebay and I see all kinds of cheap screw mount adapters for like 5 to 7 bucks.

pentax screw mount ring | eBay

Will any of those little cheapy things work????

The article mentioned above says some adapters can prevent the lens from focusing to infinity...

Its only 7 or 8 bucks but still, its worth it to ask so that I don't get frustrated, not so much that I am out $7.

What is that other big old metal piece that they have there with the ring?

If I get a regular M42 adapater then thats fine. If this specific lens won't work then so be it. I am not "THAT" worried about it. The thing weighs a ton.

I might go buy some screw mount lenses just for the heck of it and try em out.

Silver Metal For M42 Screw Mount Lens TO Pentax Camera Adapter Ring | eBay

The picture of that one has a little metal flap on the side...
06-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You can't buy it from Pentax anymore. If you ask Pentax about it they will tell you it has been discontinued.
Oops, sorry. Just troll eBay or the Marketplace then.
06-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter

There are two types of generic adapter. One has a wide flange, that one won't focus to infinity. It's only useful for macro lenses and bellows units. The other type, which fits inside the lens mount, is the type that comes with the removal tool. Instead of using the removal tool, remove the clip that holds the adapter into the camera. Otherwise you will go apeshit.
06-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So that little flap on the side... I need to take it off if I get one of those right?

Why don't they just make ONE that works right THE FIRST TIME?

06-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
So that little flap on the side... I need to take it off if I get one of those right?

Why don't they just make ONE that works right THE FIRST TIME?
The Pentax adapter does. The current Chinese knockoffs are just knockoffs of the original knockoff.There are supposedly some good knockoff adapters that don't need the removal tool. I don't know if the one B&H sells is one of those.
06-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Here you go, more accurate M42 to K | eBay

The first one is OK, the second and third have a flange (the disc around the mount ring) that keep the lens further from the body. The point of Pwntax is that the cameras have the same flange distance as m42 lenses, so you need them flush to the mount.
06-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

OK, on to the other sort of M42-PK adapter, the wide-flange NIF (no infinity focus) sort, cheap and safe and useful in certain circumstances. I use such an adapter for:

* old long tele lenses that normally focus PAST infinity
* macro lenses and extension (bellows, tubes, etc)
* portrait or close work where infinity doesn't matter
* medium (100-300mm) teles when I want closer focus
* to use catch-in-focus (CIF) with narrow-base lenses

My delaminating eyeballs need all the focusing help they can get. I depend on CIF with many of my manual-focus lenses. For CIF to work, the lens base must (safely) short the contacts on the camera body. Many older screwmount lenses have bases too narrow to reach. So I'll take an NIF adapter, scrape paint off its base (with file or sandpaper or whatever), and use it with the lens to short the contacts. I don't use CIF when focusing to infinity anyway, so big deal.

If an M42 lens DOES have a wide-enough base, I stick a small strip of metal ductwork tape (NOT plastic Duck Tape) at the appropriate location on the lens base, then screw-down the thin-flange M42-PK adapter -- a Pentax clone. Works like a charm!
06-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Here you go, more accurate M42 to K | eBay

The first one is OK, the second and third have a flange (the disc around the mount ring) that keep the lens further from the body. The point of Pwntax is that the cameras have the same flange distance as m42 lenses, so you need them flush to the mount.
Thanks for the find!!!

I will try and go for that one... what can it hurt?