Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Crosshair Quote
Thank you for all the suggestions. I see there is a better option in the street where you go light and wide, and you don't worry about thin DOF. I am considering that option too. But seeing my street set, might give a better idea of my taste.

Here; Street - a set on Flickr

So I'm going this way. Going wide is sure one of the things I will try. @aurele sigma 85 is even bigger

As for the "not CA, but WB" issue I am looking into it too, I had the WB at Auto but the camera might have been confused, gonna recheck that photo if I didn't delete it already.

I was once wide and f/11 in the streets with the 18-55 AL II by the way

I've seen your stuff on some of the other threads. Nice work!
Unfortunately, the one most similar in shallow DOF effect and working distance to a Canikon 85/1.8 would be a more expensive 77ltd.
The FA85/1.4 beats all of them for that shallow DOF effect of course, I'd suggest getting a smaller/shorter ebay metal hood to make it 'smaller' .
I had a similar problem with my FA*24. I hated the hood. It made the lens even bigger and was clunky to put on and off. I switched to a small black metal one that I got thru a friend in China (ebay for you folks in the US). Solved the problem and its become one of my often used lenses.
I haven't done it for my FA*85 yet though (probably soon).

My personal impression of the two lenese, the FA77 draws a bit differently from the FA*85. The FA*85 is better at producing subject isolation through shallow DOF+creamy bokeh. The FA77ltd seems to do this via sharpness+drawing of subject+bokeh.
The 77ltd is far easier to handle of course.

06-05-2012, 12:49 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, I am already using a small petal hood on the 85. The original hood I could not bear to handle The problem is, the lens is not that much heavy, but it is heavy enough to prevent me from instantly lifting to my eye and frame the shot.

Reading the responses I am looking into the 77 now. Screw this thin DOF obsession but I have it and I cannot lie )
06-05-2012, 03:44 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

The big hood on my 85/1.4 did sffer many bangs and hits over the years, eventually the lock on tabs have become very brittle, and the screws holding it to the hood have become stripped from being ripped out a few times and IT is big Yes... I did try this and am happy with it, Its a PENTAX PH-RBF67 LENS HOOD 4 FA 645 150mm F2.8 F/2.8 LENS, and it does clip on, a little bit clunky to get on, but it does fit and doesnot fall off easily. Its size is a lot more user friendly. and doesn't stand out as much as the ole "Giant Silver Bell" I used to walk around with. Also makes storage a little more compact, and Yes, It does reverse over the lens and lock on for storage.

cmohr
06-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Usually I don't want thin DOF in street shots simply because when I snap something rapidly, a thicker DOF helps getting the subject people in focus.
As others mentioned, the performances of the K-5 at high ISO has cut down the need for fast glass to manage to shoot in low light. It has changed the rules.
For instance, my most used focal length on APS-C for street shots are 20-21mm. On the K-7 I mostly used the Sigma 20/1.8 when there were little light. Now it has been replaced also in these situations by the 21ltd.
When I do use a tele for streets it is mostly the DA70ltd and since recently the FA135/2.8. If thin DOF to help isolate is what you want, f2.4 and f2.8 are enough.

DA 70ltd

The DA70ltd has also the advantage of being entirely pocket-sized. Often I just shoot with one lens in one of the front pockets of my trousers and the other on the camera shifting between the DA21 and the DA70. Only disadvantage I can think of is that they are so small that I could happen to forget to take it out before washing the trousers

EDIT: the first shot is at f2.4, the second at f4, so I could have had the background more OOF, but that was a shot I didn't plan for...he just raised his hands in front of me and my trigger finger did all the thinking for me.

Last edited by Douglas_of_Sweden; 06-05-2012 at 10:33 AM.
06-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Usually I don't want thin DOF in street shots simply because when I snap something rapidly, a thicker DOF helps getting the subject people in focus.
I'd go even further - I usually don't want thin DOF in what I think of "street" shots, because usually part of the point is to show the surroundings. otherwise, it's just a candid that just happens to have different sort of fuzzy shapes in the background than some other type of candid.
06-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'd go even further - I usually don't want thin DOF in what I think of "street" shots, because usually part of the point is to show the surroundings. otherwise, it's just a candid that just happens to have different sort of fuzzy shapes in the background than some other type of candid.
Which is one of the reasons the f8 and be there rule works so well for sreet photography. with the old 21 lentar i use I set it at f 8 and choose my focal zone (usually it's 5-15 feet) and go. i can shoot from the hip or put it up to my eye, makes fast shots excellent. It's m42 so i just use av mode set the iso at 400 and go