Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by usmcxm35 Quote
@yusuf, what is the size difference between the FA 85 and the samyang 85?
Not much, I no longer have FA85 access but both are of almost same size and much larger than FA77

06-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Crosshair Quote
I thought about the 77 but hard to find. And also I know CA to be a big problem in the 77, as in the 85. CA makes the photos really bad and 1.4 and 1.8 nearly useless in most situations. Don't want the same with the 77.
Not sure why you got that impression. I mostly shoot FA77 wide open and that's the advantage in street shoot where you want to isolate subject even when shooting from distance. CA is very much controlled except in very high contrast scene which is common with most fast lenses.
06-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Not sure why you got that impression. I mostly shoot FA77 wide open and that's the advantage in street shoot where you want to isolate subject even when shooting from distance. CA is very much controlled except in very high contrast scene which is common with most fast lenses.
one day, under normal sunshine I shot a photo of my friend, who was about 15-20 feet away from me. I used the 85. his face turned out all purple.

that's when I hated CA. in reviews of the 77 I read about CA a lot and I am afraid if I choose it the CA will be the same.

on the other hand it is always possible to correct CA in PP, but so far I've not been very successful at it.

Last edited by Crosshair; 06-03-2012 at 05:15 PM.
06-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #19
Inactive Account

i have hardly noticed CA in my 77, only in really high contrast areas, and its easy to correct. the 77 is ideal in terms of size vs aperture and sharpness.

06-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Sounds like you're setting up a lot of imaginary barriers for yourself.

If CA is your primary concern, get the DA 70. If you think 2.4 is slow compared to 1.4 you are silly.

My recommendation would be to shake things up and do street like the old masters do. f/8 at 28mm with your hyper focal distance set.
06-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #21
Pentaxian

one day, under normal sunshine I shot a photo of my friend, who was about 15-20 feet away from me. I used the 85. his face turned out all purple.

that's when I hated CA. in reviews of the 77 I read about CA a lot and I am afraid if I choose it the CA will be the same.

on the other hand it is always possible to correct CA in PP, but so far I've not been very successful at it.
You might be seeing a WB issue rather than CA. The camera might have though the colored bkground is supposed to be 'balanced off' (adding purple to it).

Long FL for streets, I'd take the 77ltd, FA85/1.4 or FA135/2.8. The 100/2.8 macro does fine too.
If you need it for low light, personally, I've not found f2.8 lenses to be an issue so long as I "look for the light" (ie. street lamps; spill ight from shops, etc)
I find that the spill light gives more shading to the subject too for better photos, rather than just flat low/no light.
I don't have the 70ltd, but I'm sure its not that far from the 77ltd in low light.

Low light night market shots in Meleka using a DA40/2.8XS

06-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
My recommendation would be to shake things up and do street like the old masters do. f/8 at 28mm with your hyper focal distance set.
For an "old master" version of the photograph above, see
Kuih Lobak - Radish Cake street vendor | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

06-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
May i suggest the Sigma 85/1.4 ?
06-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
You might be seeing a WB issue rather than CA.
Agreed. CA would normally be noticeable along edges only. You'd have to be a lot farther than 15-20 feet from someone to shoot them with an 85mm lens and have the entire face dominated by this effect.
06-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Agreed. CA would normally be noticeable along edges only. You'd have to be a lot farther than 15-20 feet from someone to shoot them with an 85mm lens and have the entire face dominated by this effect.
agreed

As for the longer lens for street My vote goes to the 77 because i have seen some stellar street images produced by it. (axl on the forum from london did some excellent work with one)
Personally i'm of the keep it wide and get in close school for street so a DA21 would be my choice, in the mid a DA40 or a DA35

Right now most of my streets in daytime are shot with a 21 @f8-11 and hyper focal set.
06-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I originally put off buying the 77 Ltd (and bought a Zeiss 85/1.4 instead) because of the CA I noticed in high contrast shots in the camera mall where I tried it out. However I later succumbed and have yet to notice it at all in 99% of real life shooting. Awesome lens (so is the Zeiss).

All 77.

Last edited by Frogfish; 06-04-2012 at 11:56 AM.
06-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for all the suggestions. I see there is a better option in the street where you go light and wide, and you don't worry about thin DOF. I am considering that option too. But seeing my street set, might give a better idea of my taste.

Here; Street - a set on Flickr

So I'm going this way. Going wide is sure one of the things I will try. @aurele sigma 85 is even bigger

As for the "not CA, but WB" issue I am looking into it too, I had the WB at Auto but the camera might have been confused, gonna recheck that photo if I didn't delete it already.

I was once wide and f/11 in the streets with the 18-55 AL II by the way
06-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Nice set, I knew your stuff already since i follow you, I get the want for a portrait type lens on the street there are times i would rather shoot that way as well. it's somewhat environment dependent for me as well. there are areas and situations where i am comfortable getting right in peoples faces and because of the number of cameras about they don't even notice you, OTOH there are times where being a little isolated form the subject makes life easier (i've even shot a few with a 200)
the majority of my street is manual focus so f8 and be there with a good prime is very useful in getting in focus quickly
but for nights it can be a harder task (and i tend to revert to a longer lens at night for that reason, it gives me more time to focus the narrower DOF)
06-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #29
Pentaxian

The DA 70 is so light, better than the available fast glass wide open, and even better stopped down. DOF is not as thin as the faster lenses, but then, they are much heavier. The tiny lens will also get less a rise from subjects.
06-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #30
Veteran Member

@aurele sigma 85 is even bigger
Sorry, somehow i forgot about the main aspect : less bulk, more picture.