Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Help! Something broke in my Tokina 90/2.5.

Hey guys, I have a KA mount Tokina 90/2.5 Macro lens that I've used with great success for a couple years now. Unfortunately, something just broke inside it on a recent trip, but I don't know what. When I took the lens out of my camera bag, three small curved rods (which presumably make up a ring) fell out of the hole on the mount plate. Shaking the lens confirms that there is at least one more rattling around in there. So far, I haven't noticed any change in operation. The aperture ring and lever still seem to function, but I did notice the blades "sticking" a bit, such that I had to jiggle the aperture lever to have them come back down. On camera everything seems OK for now, but I'm sure whatever broke had a purpose. Below are some pictures of the pieces that came out, and the mount hole they came out of.

Any tips on what this is, it's importance, and perhaps how to fix it?

Thanks!

Update:

The local shop couldn't fix the problem, but they did give me some details of what the problem is:

The inner aperture actuating plate is missing lock spring & three spacers. Essentially, the rod that controls the aperture is slipping out of the plate when the lens is extended. Sounds like what happened is the spring got brittle and broke, then when I extended it fully, the spacers dislodged and fell out. I can't understand the three missing spacers, but it's possible some fell out before I noticed.

He said that if I found the same lens in the same or any other mount (except Canon), he could fix it, but not without parts. They tried contacting Tokina, but obviously they were no use.

Anyway, any of you users experienced this? Can it be fixed without finding another lens? I imagine it can if you could find (or make) the right spring and spacers.

Edit 2:

KEH fixed it in a jiffy without even touching my parts copy. Bravo KEH!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 02-25-2013 at 08:21 PM.
06-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yea... Send it to me and i'll take a look for you...

FOC of course...
06-04-2012, 04:31 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Bokina (Vivitar-branded 90/2.5 by Tokina) and managed to mount its 1:1 macro adapter wrongly a couple of times (aperture coupling crossed up), and had to remove the mounting ring from the adapter to get them un-stuck. In the process I managed to spill some of these same curved bits, plus a bunch of ball bearings. These curved bits and the ball bearings are placed (one bb between each curved rod) in a groove under the mounting ring, and are the bearings allowing smooth rotation of I forget which part of the adapter. I think there's a second identical set of bearings on the other end. The rattle you're hearing is probably ball bearings.

Based on my experience I don't particularly recommend trying to disassemble it yourself.
06-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
I have the Bokina (Vivitar-branded 90/2.5 by Tokina) and managed to mount its 1:1 macro adapter wrongly a couple of times (aperture coupling crossed up), and had to remove the mounting ring from the adapter to get them un-stuck. In the process I managed to spill some of these same curved bits, plus a bunch of ball bearings. These curved bits and the ball bearings are placed (one bb between each curved rod) in a groove under the mounting ring, and are the bearings allowing smooth rotation of I forget which part of the adapter. I think there's a second identical set of bearings on the other end. The rattle you're hearing is probably ball bearings.

Based on my experience I don't particularly recommend trying to disassemble it yourself.
Thanks for the tip...sounds messy. I didn't notice any ball bearings coming out yet...hopefully i didn't lose them.

Who could do repairs like this in the states nowadays? I wouldn't trust even an A50/2 to any of my local shops...much less my bokina.

06-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just took the lens to AP-T Camera Repair in Albuquerque, they seemed to know the problem (same as posted by baro-nite), and said it'd cost $50-$75 to fix. I'm giving them a chance, and will post back with the results in a couple weeks.
08-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Update:

AP-T couldn't fix the problem, but they did give me some details of what the problem is:

The inner aperture actuating plate is missing lock spring & three spacers. Essentially, the rod that controls the aperture is slipping out of the plate when the lens is extended. Sounds like what happened is the spring got brittle and broke, then when I extended it fully, the spacers dislodged and fell out. I can't understand the three missing spacers, but it's possible some fell out before I noticed.

He said that if I found the same lens in the same or any other mount (except Canon), he could fix it, but not without parts. They tried contacting Tokina, but obviously they were no use.

Anyway, any of you users experienced this? Can it be fixed without finding another lens? I imagine it can if you could find (or make) the right spring and spacers.
08-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Like i've said, send it over to me and lemme have a look.. So long as it's not an autofocus lens, i'm interested! Think about it.. Kinda "broken" now.. :/
11-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just purchased an as-is Minolta parts copy of the lens for $35 off the bay...here's hoping this lens will come out of retirement.

02-25-2013, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just to complete the loop for anyone with a similar problem -

I sent the lens to KEH Repairs, and low and behold for $120 and just 1 week they fixed it perfectly without even cannibalizing the Minolta copy! They also cleaned out the star-field of dust. It's like an all-new lens, and after testing it again, boy did I miss it.

Bravo to KEH repairs!
02-26-2013, 05:44 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Bravo to KEH repairs!
Good to know, and congrats on getting your lens back in action.