Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
I hate to possibly add bad news, but my DA*16-50 also made this exact noise for about two or three years. During that time I had many instances of the SDM motor needing to be "awakened" by manually rotating the focus ring several turns after mounting, and failed focus attempts on subject with good light/contrast. The lens finally died this last Christmas and required a 200 dollar motor replacement. I am sorry to say this, but I don't think I'd buy or keep another DA * lens that made that squeak. Best of luck with this.
That's too bad, but thanks for telling me. Haven't had to "awaken" the SDM motor in any instances.

06-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The person selling the lens to you should have mentioned this problem. Even eBay policies would accept a return in this case.

THE LENS DOES NOT WORK FINE MECHANICALLY - it makes funky mechanical sounds. It may explode on your camera one day . Well, it won't explode, but what would you actually call a mechanical problem... Sounds odd??? Come on guys something is wrong with this lens, it will probably fail in the future, and the sound is perfect for taking images in silent places - it's a feature isn't it.
Have it fixed, wait for it to fail completely or sell it to some other poor person. Maybe the sounds is due to Pentax quality control, maybe it indicates that the previous owner did something really bad to the lens.
They were "as is", person selling them did not know anything about them. I'm not going to go through the story they told me... for all I know, it could have been stolen (like sadly, some items on the local secondhand market appear to be...) It was the first piece of used equipment that I brought, so yes, I wasn't being smart, but it has taught me to be a smart buyer now. Anyway, that is why I would prefer to buy an expensive piece of equipment here from an honest seller instead of Ebay, craigslist, or whatnot.

Sorry, I did not make myself clear; I meant mechanical as in the lens does what a lens is supposed to do- AF/SDM work fine and the focus is accurate.
I understand why you are calling it a mechanical problem.