Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Julie's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,067
DA* 55 - SDM Squeak?

Being my first SDM lens purchased used (in December 2011, I believe), I thought it was normal... However, after purchasing the DA* 50-135 (also used) and seeing how silent it is has left me wondering why my 55 squeaks?

It happens on K20d (but also on K-5 & K-7)- when I choose something I want to focus on, it will squeak once or twice before it locks focus and I get the confirmation beep.

I found this video --->
,and it seems to be a similar sound- except mine will do it once or twice and when I shift the subject from something closer up to something further back. It also doesn't make that "thud" sound after the squeak. (and I don't know if it is just the audio quality of this video, but mine sounds a little quieter- but still noticeable.)

I've read about SDM failure on zooms such as 16-50 and 50-135, but on a prime like the 55?

06-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
gtl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 349
Mine definitely doesn't make such screeching noises. Go get it changed or fixed under warranty if possible?
06-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian
aurele's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,907
Ouch ! need some grease in the mechanics !

I really suggest you to send it back now.

(Mine don't do that sound either.)
06-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,782
No that is not a noise I hear in mine. All I do hear is the very ultra sonic sound when SDM system is working.

06-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Julie's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,067
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
Mine definitely doesn't make such screeching noises. Go get it changed or fixed under warranty if possible?
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Ouch ! need some grease in the mechanics !

I really suggest you to send it back now.

(Mine don't do that sound either.)

Wish I could but I guess one of the problems with buying used is you don't get warranty.
Everything works fine mechanically and I'm not going to pitch-in another $300 towards getting a squeaky noise fixed ... if SDM ever does fail completely, then I might consider it...
06-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Julie's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,067
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
No that is not a noise I hear in mine. All I do hear is the very ultra sonic sound when SDM system is working.
Yes, that is what I hear with 50-135.
06-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Julie's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,067
Original Poster
I'm going to check the serial # in the database and see if anyone has had problems with the 55 produced around the same time as mine...
(whoops, sorry for double post)

*edit* never mind, nothing helpful there- just reports of front/back focus (which mine has- corrected with AF adjustment of +1)
06-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian
philbaum's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Port Townsend, Washington State, USA
Posts: 3,659
Julie,
I think its just your lens talking to you, perhaps saying "Hi, i'm on the job again - just a moment - there, its in focus"

I don't think many if any of the slidiing surfaces in these lenses are lubricated - lubrication collects dust and may gum at the end of the life.

So what we probably have is dry on dry sliding surfaces which may squeak or not depending on a variety of factors. No big deal in my opinion. I agree with you - don't get it fixed unless it stops working, or if it stops traffic on main street. I've never seen any correlation between squeaks and failure. My 50-135 doesn't squeak either but if it started i probably wouldn't do anything about it. i think these squeaks aren't very loud.

06-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 121
My 50-135 squeaks. My 16-50 and 300 do not. It doesn't affect the performance of the 50-135, which is my favorite lens, but it is a little annoying. You might try rotating the screw drive on the back of the lens by putting a small straighthead screwdriver in it and turning it about a quarter of a turn past the resistance point in both directions. Do this with the lens set to manual focus. Do it a dozen or more times. This seems to loosen up whatever is causing the friction and reduces the squeaking noise.

Russ
06-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 814
My 55 does make a faint squeaking noise whenever the focus motor starts or changes directions. Not loud but definitely noticeable. My 60-250 doesn't make the same sound.

Works fine, and no changes in AF performance after 1.5 years. I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited by Cannikin; 06-04-2012 at 06:01 PM.
06-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member
Julie's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,067
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Julie,
I think its just your lens talking to you, perhaps saying "Hi, i'm on the job again - just a moment - there, its in focus"

I don't think many if any of the slidiing surfaces in these lenses are lubricated - lubrication collects dust and may gum at the end of the life.

So what we probably have is dry on dry sliding surfaces which may squeak or not depending on a variety of factors. No big deal in my opinion. I agree with you - don't get it fixed unless it stops working, or if it stops traffic on main street. I've never seen any correlation between squeaks and failure. My 50-135 doesn't squeak either but if it started i probably wouldn't do anything about it. i think these squeaks aren't very loud.
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
My 55 does make a faint squeaking noise whenever the focus motor starts or changes directions. Not loud but definitely noticeable. My 60-250 doesn't make the same sound.

Works fine, and no changes in AF performance after 1.5 years. I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks for the reassurance, guys. As long as it works, I'm not complaining.
06-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Julie's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,067
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by oeriies Quote
My 50-135 squeaks. My 16-50 and 300 do not. It doesn't affect the performance of the 50-135, which is my favorite lens, but it is a little annoying. You might try rotating the screw drive on the back of the lens by putting a small straighthead screwdriver in it and turning it about a quarter of a turn past the resistance point in both directions. Do this with the lens set to manual focus. Do it a dozen or more times. This seems to loosen up whatever is causing the friction and reduces the squeaking noise.

Russ
Thanks for the suggestion Russ, but the 55 doesn't have screw drive, it only has SDM focusing. (50-135 has both SDM and screw drive, I'm assuming the same for 16-50?)
06-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
Site Supporter
germar's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Austin Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 728
I hate to possibly add bad news, but my DA*16-50 also made this exact noise for about two or three years. During that time I had many instances of the SDM motor needing to be "awakened" by manually rotating the focus ring several turns after mounting, and failed focus attempts on subject with good light/contrast. The lens finally died this last Christmas and required a 200 dollar motor replacement. I am sorry to say this, but I don't think I'd buy or keep another DA * lens that made that squeak. Best of luck with this.
06-06-2012, 12:39 AM   #14
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Israel
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 943
Nothing of this sort on my DA* 16-50/2.8... To me personally it sounds a bit odd....
06-07-2012, 03:10 AM   #15
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 893
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Wish I could but I guess one of the problems with buying used is you don't get warranty.
Everything works fine mechanically and I'm not going to pitch-in another $300 towards getting a squeaky noise fixed ... if SDM ever does fail completely, then I might consider it...
The person selling the lens to you should have mentioned this problem. Even eBay policies would accept a return in this case.

THE LENS DOES NOT WORK FINE MECHANICALLY - it makes funky mechanical sounds. It may explode on your camera one day . Well, it won't explode, but what would you actually call a mechanical problem... Sounds odd??? Come on guys something is wrong with this lens, it will probably fail in the future, and the sound is perfect for taking images in silent places - it's a feature isn't it.
Have it fixed, wait for it to fail completely or sell it to some other poor person. Maybe the sounds is due to Pentax quality control, maybe it indicates that the previous owner did something really bad to the lens.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da*, da* 55 sdm, focus, k-mount, mine, pentax lens, sdm, slr lens, sound, squeak, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Rokinon 35/1.4 MF, F-50 1.7,Tamron 1.4x SDM , Kenko 2X SDM manishved Sold Items 12 06-06-2012 12:42 PM
No more SDM failures? -Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Taviali Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 03-13-2012 10:01 AM
645D, K-m2 and NEW LENSES DA*10-16/4 SDM, DA*20/2 SDM, DA*28/2 SDM ogl Pentax News and Rumors 165 08-11-2010 03:26 AM
DA 17-70mm SDM vs DA* 16-50mm SDM? shang Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 07-02-2010 06:09 AM
Lens offer from Amazon: DA* 50-135 SDM & DA* 16-50 SDM f8 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 03-25-2008 04:45 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top