Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2008, 12:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Thats quite the collection...say how many lenses did Jim King have again? haha
Not really Pete, it's only 10 a year. And Wendy never said that they are new.

In the last year I've collected about 6 Pentax lenses, and something like 6 additional lenses.
Plus I've just ordered another 2 new Sigma's and will be mailing off a mail order for a screwmount tomorrow as well.

01-21-2008, 12:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

An f/1.2 for $65... all I can say is lucky, lucky, lucky...
01-21-2008, 12:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Seriously, that is a hell of a bargain! I am so envious and you should be feeling so lucky to grab such an amazing lens!

Here is my shot of the lens 2 days ago.

f1.2

01-21-2008, 01:06 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by countzero Quote
the 1/1.2 gives you more light that the human eye at ISO 1600 and onwards,
At what shutter speeds? Aperture and iso speed alone mean nothing .

01-21-2008, 05:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

1:2 vs 1:1.2

I think it's more than probable that WendyB confused the 1:2 marking of the A50/2 with 1:1.2 (i.e. f/1.2). She would not be the first to do so...
01-21-2008, 06:07 AM   #21
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Too true RBellavance. We've seen a fair share of Ebay auctions that were mistyped that way. Makes your heart skip a beat when the BIN is $49.00 until you realize the typo.

Congrats Wendy. Totally awesome deal on a beautiful lens.
01-21-2008, 07:16 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Yeah, but you own 300 lenses and (1)You don't know the HUGE difference between f/2.0 and f/1.2 and (2)Notice that there is ALOT more glass on the f/1.2 vs. the f/2.0. Seems someone with that many lenses would understand f-stops/aperture/etc....
Scratches head....

Enjoy the lens!

01-21-2008, 09:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Wendy, I believe everything you say..

With so many lenses, would you be interested in renting a few? If you could provide us with a list of your lenses, at the very least you would be a good database for us when considering a new purchase.. Thanks.
01-21-2008, 09:24 AM   #24
Veteran Member

haha I still have problem focusing with my FA 50 at f1.4... little movement with my hand, the image will be out of focus... so a f1.2 lens will only be wasted by me if I get one hahaha
01-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #25
Inactive Account

BIG DIFFERENCE between 1:1.2 and 1:2. 50/2=25mm and 50/1.2=41.666....mm
Surely you know what f-stop/aperture is and were able to discern that a marking of 1:1.2 means f/1.2 and a marking of 1:2 is f/2? You do know about the relationship between f-stop/shutter speed/ISO, correct? Honestly if you were new to all of this, we wouldn't be having this discussion, but over the course of 30 years and hundres of lenses, you weren't aware of f-stops????

QuoteOriginally posted by WendyB Quote
"never seen markings like that on the outer barrel"

Let me please clarify, I have seen "for many years" the "A 1.2" marking, This is the first "A 1:1.2" I have ever experienced.
01-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #27
m8o
Veteran Member

Wendy, I envy you on that catch. All the images I've seen posted on this board from the f/1.2 over time are indeed special. One of my favorites was taken directly down the petals of a slightly opened tulip with the lens wide open with focus just on the outer tips of the petals. I look forward to your images from it, and others from the K** *D and other bodies and lenses in your possession...

If you've been film in the past and need help with some technicalities about posting images, just send me a PM and I'll try to help you out.

Last edited by m8o; 01-21-2008 at 12:35 PM.
01-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #28
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=WendyB;157636]While at an estate sale on Saturday I picked up an A3000 body paired with a SMC-Pentax 50mm A 1:1.2 marking on the on the outer bevel on the front of the lens. I have never seen a 50mm A marked like this before. (I am having great difficulty uploading images from my PC and wish I could get some help from someone in the the forum). The only 50mm 1.2 A lenses I have seen over the years have an "A 1.2" marking.

Hi Wendy,

It appears that the sample picture on Bojidar Dmitrov's site is marked like your new acquisition, i.e. "SMC Pentax-A 1:1.2 50mm". My "a 1.7" is marked the same way (with the one obvious difference). BD also lists a chrome A1.2 Special as well as a Gold version which were shipped with LX camera bodies. Interestingly, I have never seen one labelled "A 1.2" but my sample is much smaller than yours and my history with the brand is likely much shorter.. BD does report a 20 year production run for the A 50 1.2 so it seems conceivable to me that some of the cosmetics may have been changed over such a lengthy run. Perhaps there's a Pentax historian on board who could comment. In any event, it appears that this was a spectacular deal -- enjoy! Dave
01-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #29

Wendy, I'll give you $70 plus shipping.
01-21-2008, 09:15 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster
If you mean "Flip" as sell this lens that will not happen. Having spent todays holiday shooting with this particular lens. It is truly a magnificent piece of glass. This lens will permanently be in my camera bag until I leave this wonderful world. Then you guys can fight over it as a possession.

I live in an area on the east side of Detroit called the Grosse Pointe's. Estate sales from the aging population of these very wealthy communities are very common place. The term Estate sale is equivalent to the term Tag Sale.

Each Saturday morning I awake at 4 am make my coffee and take a 3 mile run by the lakeshore drive with my 3 year old yellow Labrador. It is one of the joys in my life to photograph this magnificent animal joyfully play on the newly formed sediment beaches in the early morning light of day. Of course that is during the late spring, summer and early fall in our area of this place we call planet earth.

I usually arrive back home around 5:45 am then head to the most promising estate sale. I arrive at the location around 6 am and grab a number for entrance to the sale. Then wait for the doors to open usually around 8 am. Socially I redundantly see the very same people in the number line, some who look for rare fine china, some Remington castings and the like, some old weapons and war memorabilia, and some who seek photographic equipment.

There is a very ruthless estate sale guy named Walter who is at most sales I visit. It has been a well known fact the Walter and I dislike each other very much. Most of the regulars that are in the early number line are aware of this. If Walter arrives ahead of me in line somehow an entrance number lower than his is forwarded to my hands and somehow I get ahead of him in line. Walter and I go after the photographic equipment. None of the regulars really care for Walter. They know I go only for Pentax specific.

So that is what my Friday and Saturday mornings have consisted of for the last 17 years.

On Saturdays my husband and kids usually are slowly removing themselves out of their bedrooms when I arrive home around 9 or so. When they see a broad smile on my face they know I found something special. We all go to the dinning room table and inspect the lot I have purchased and brought home. These are pretty special happy and joyous moments of sharing with my dearest loved ones in my life. I would not trade this lifestyle for anything that is in place on this earth.

In another thread I mentioned how I found a set of lenses one of which I had always wanted and had been seeking over the years a SMC Pentax-F* 300mm F4.5 ED [IF]. That set was found at an Estate Sale of a photographer and filmographer whom worked with a man called George Pierrot who hosted a local program called the " World Adventure Series" at our Detroit Institute of Arts. It took quite some doing but we found out about the man who owned this equipment and his work.

At that sale Walter very greedily grabbed a very nice tripod and set of umbrellas, I grabbed an old ragged camera bag. I am still pissed about the tripod he knocked me on the floor to get it.

So for those who suggest the integrity of my postings on this subject , now you know a bit more of what I am about.

Could someone in the forum please help me get by a "port" problem so I can post my images. Every time I try I get a pop up message that "port 1090 is blocked for firewall security"

I have only been on the internet in regards to photography since the advent of my K10D for about a year now and am still learning. In whole I have been on the internet for about two and a half years.

Sincerely,

Wendy

Last edited by WendyB; 01-21-2008 at 09:29 PM.