Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Estate sale lens, 50mm A 1:1.2, I have never seen this lens before.

While at an estate sale on Saturday I picked up an A3000 body paired with a SMC-Pentax 50mm A 1:1.2 marking on the on the outer bevel on the front of the lens. I have never seen a 50mm A marked like this before. (I am having great difficulty uploading images from my PC and wish I could get some help from someone in the the forum). The only 50mm 1.2 A lenses I have seen over the years have an "A 1.2" marking.

I was a bit tentative about purchasing this lot because it was $65 dollars and the seals on the body look rather weak.

Anyways I mounted this lens on my K10 today and it seems to be quite a bit more special in image quality than my 50mm 1.2. The focus ring is velvet smooth. I really quite like this lens and think It is most definitely a keeper.

Is there a difference between the A 1:1.2 and the A 1.2 or did Pentax just change the die to imprint the lens or did I just happen upon a European/Japanese lens that is marked differently?

Last edited by WendyB; 01-20-2008 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Dyslexic typing fingers
01-20-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never heard of the ens before Wendy, although that shouldn't be any surprise.
I am however very interested in seeing the image quality.

If you can't post it feel free to e-mail it to me at stu at bcscenicwonder dot com, and I'll post it for you.
01-20-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Wendy,

First of all, congrats on the new purchase. What a great bargain!

As to the markings on the A50/1.2 lens, the one I have is marked like this:

Is that what you were talking about in your first thread above?
01-20-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Is this what you got?
Pentax Lens Review Database - 50mm F1.2

You'll note that the average price is almost 10 times what you paid. Congrats!

01-20-2008, 10:55 PM   #5

It's probably the best 50mm there is.
One sold on ebay the other day for just under $500.00 dollars.
Here's a link to the lens shootout and sample pics.

Match 1: (1) SMC Pentax-A 1:1.2 50mm vs. (16) KMZ Helios 44M-4 1:2 58mm Photo Gallery by Sean Carpenter at pbase.com
01-20-2008, 11:05 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Hi Wendy,

First of all, congrats on the new purchase. What a great bargain!

As to the markings on the A50/1.2 lens, the one I have is marked like this:

Is that what you were talking about in your first thread above?
That is the exact same lens. I did not have a clue about this one. This might be a stupid question but why is there such an extreme price difference on 50mm 1.2? I think I already know why after about a hour of using this lens and then looking at raw post process.

Last edited by WendyB; 01-20-2008 at 11:16 PM.
01-20-2008, 11:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You are joking right WendyB.

You have never heard of this lens plus never seen markings like that on the outer barrel when all the A lenses are marked this way which you have to many to list.

On top of this you paid $65 for a lens that goes for around $500.

01-20-2008, 11:28 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote

You have never heard of this lens plus never seen markings like that on the outer barrel when all the A lenses are marked this way which you have to many to list.

Quite honestly I have not, Rico, I have acquired about 300+ Pentax lenses over the last 30 years most I know a great deal about most of them, some I do not. This one I had never seen before. I still carry about 236 in my lens cabinet.

You are more than welcome to visit and see them if you would like.

I asked an honest question and I expect an apology from you.

Last edited by WendyB; 01-21-2008 at 12:54 AM.
01-20-2008, 11:32 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster

"never seen markings like that on the outer barrel"

Let me please clarify, I have seen "for many years" the "A 1.2" marking, This is the first "A 1:1.2" I have ever experienced.
01-20-2008, 11:38 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by WendyB Quote
Quite honestly I have not, Rico, I have acquired about 300+ Pentax lenses over the last 30 years most I know a great deal about some I do not. This one I had never seen before. I still carry about 236 in my lens cabinet.

You are more than welcome to visit and see them if you would like.

I asked an honest question and I expect an apology from you.
What do you do with the lenses you have? Do you have a lot of copies of the same lens (ie: duplicates). I get the incredulity of the other poster - 1. some people here don't get innocence, and 2. most people who collect such a number of lenses know far more than most - it's their hobby after all.

Thanks for any insight you can throw onto your amazing collection.

Cheers,
G.
01-20-2008, 11:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

An apology for what?

Now you say you have hundreds of lenses but never heard of the SMC Pentax-A 50mm 1:1.2.

Frankly this does not add to your credibility.
01-21-2008, 12:14 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 123K10D Quote
What do you do with the lenses you have? Do you have a lot of copies of the same lens (ie: duplicates). I get the incredulity of the other poster - 1. some people here don't get innocence, and 2. most people who collect such a number of lenses know far more than most - it's their hobby after all.

Thanks for any insight you can throw onto your amazing collection.

Cheers,
G.
I do have the day off tomorrow for the holiday and tiring quickly but will answer briefly.

"What do you do with the lenses you have?"

I photograph with them and I do resell at times. (selling is not my purpose of being a member of this forum) Mostly members of our local Pentax camera club make use of them.

"Do you have a lot of copies of the same lens (ie: duplicates)"

Yes I do mostly it started as a paranoia thing on my part, In case I have a particular lens that gets damaged so I have a backup. I try to keep a minimum of three of each lens. In some cases on a popular lens series I store 6 to 7 .

Of course it is obvious I can not afford to keep a store of the very high end lenses. My husband would ship me off to a Tasmanian tribe and sell the whole lot off and is considering doing so with what I have on hand right now.

"2. most people who collect such a number of lenses know far more than most - it's their hobby after all."

A few lenses are just not in my knowledge base. If one considers the amount of Screw, M, A, F, D, and DA K mount lenses that have been produced please forgive me for not knowing about all of them.

When I see or find one I do not recognize. I ask. The answers enhance my personal knowledge base.
01-21-2008, 12:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WendyB Quote
Quite honestly I have not, Rico, I have acquired about 300+ Pentax lenses over the last 30 years most I know a great deal about some I do not. This one I had never seen before. I still carry about 236 in my lens cabinet.
Thats quite the collection...say how many lenses did Jim King have again? haha
01-21-2008, 12:17 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
An apology for what?

Now you say you have hundreds of lenses but never heard of the SMC Pentax-A 50mm 1:1.2.

Frankly this does not add to your credibility.
Not worth the argument good night.

Quite frankly what does your reply say about your credibility?

Last edited by WendyB; 01-21-2008 at 12:59 AM.
01-21-2008, 12:24 AM   #15

Photos: Albums
Wendy, to answer your original question, the lens is 500 dollars because it's a "f = 1/1.2" (alternatively spelled "1:1.2") as opposed to the A 1:2 ( f=1/2). That means the aperture opens up a half stop more (i think, I may be wrong in the calculus) than the 50mm f=1/1.4, making it the "fastest" (biggest aperture) lens in the Pentax lineup.

That said, I have a K 1/1.2 and it's one of my favourite lenses. I'd say don't sell it yet - if the K20D has good High ISO quality, the prices are going to rise pretty quick, as the 1/1.2 gives you more light that the human eye at ISO 1600 and onwards, making for very special photography.

Plus the bokeh is special.

Attached are a few photos taken with it.