Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2008, 09:40 PM   #31

Good stuff Wendy. My wife is probably going to hate you soon, since I am about to start going to every estate sale I can after you last post.

01-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ramitt Quote
Good stuff Wendy. My wife is probably going to hate you soon, since I am about to start going to every estate sale I can after you last post.
She wont, if you share your experience with her. If you have children share it with them , it makes it all the more special.

Wendy

"Special things can sometimes only happen once in a lifetime. If one recognizes them they are plentiful."

Me

Last edited by WendyB; 01-21-2008 at 10:18 PM.
01-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Someone knocked you to the ground to buy a used tripod? What a very unpleasant individual.

Wendy, I am in awe at your collection.

-George
01-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Sounds like a very charming life, Wendy. People have written screenplays and novels around quirky situations like you describe - getting up early every weekend for the past 17 years to hit the estate sales, battling with the evil Walter - sounds like something you should keep a journal about.

You should use your new f1.2 to take a picture of this Walter guy and post here - we can make him our unofficial mascot! :^) (In my mind's eye I imagine him looking and acting like 'Newman' from Seinfeld...)

01-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #35
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WendyB Quote
Socially I redundantly see the very same people in the number line, some who look for rare fine china, some Remington castings and the like, some old weapons and war memorabilia, and some who seek photographic equipment.
That's a very interesting widow into a world I don't know... I assume there are 'regulars' who go for the stereo equipment too? I'd be one of those guys grabbing every hi-end speaker, prefereable horn set, and tube amp I see... if I could handle the hours! I'd expect there to be people seeking that gear as you d othe Pentax. Am I mistaken?

Could someone in the forum please help me get by a "port" problem so I can post my images. Every time I try I get a pop up message that "port 1090 is blocked for firewall security"

I have only been on the internet in regards to photography since the advent of my K10D for about a year now and am still learning. In whole I have been on the internet for about two and a half years.
Maybe I can help. A few important questions before I have a chance however.
1) What operating system do you run and what version is it?
2) Do you know if your computer came with Virus and Firewall protection pre-installed? If so, is it perhaps McAfee or is it Norton?

I do find your situation unusual, because when you upload an image, your web browser is communicating to the Web Server using port 80. The port number your side uses, as it is a "outbound connection" from your computer, should not be restricted.
01-22-2008, 08:12 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Let me please clarify, I have seen "for many years" the "A 1.2" marking, This is the first "A 1:1.2" I have ever experienced.
The only explanation I have is that you are referring to "A 1:2". Indeed, PENTAX-A 1:2 is very common and it is not surprising that you have been seeing lots of 1:2 versions. In contrast, PENTAX-A 1:1.2 is relatively rare lens and not easy to find around. I have personally never heard of "A 1.2" just "A 1:2". If you own "smc PENTAX-A 1.2 50mm" (not 1:1.2) this should be reported to Bojidar Dimitrov immediately and posted on his site. Could you please post pictures of both?

Here are "1:2" and "1:1.2" versions I was talking about with clearly visible markings:

Last edited by Ivan Glisin; 01-22-2008 at 08:18 PM.
01-22-2008, 08:34 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Wendy -- your "you are there" post describing your tag sale routine and arch-nemesis Walter was a terrific read -- thanks for sharing.

FWIW I didn't know anything about how special your new 50mm 1:1.2 -- congratulations.

snip

Could someone in the forum please help me get by a "port" problem so I can post my images. Every time I try I get a pop up message that "port 1090 is blocked for firewall security"
Unless you have some special computer set up (and I'm thinking you don't), your pictures usually have to live somewhere on the internet before they can be linked here, like this:

[IMG] your image's url [/IMG]

So that this image

is [IMG] http://homepage.mac.com/tlarch/.Pictures/MM_park.jpg [/IMG]

with the spaces removed.

I see also this forum allows for attached images to be hosted by site -- looks like five are allowed.

Please excuse me if this is not the information you need!

01-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #38
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
That's a very interesting widow into a world I don't know... I assume there are 'regulars' who go for the stereo equipment too? I'd be one of those guys grabbing every hi-end speaker, prefereable horn set, and tube amp I see... if I could handle the hours! I'd expect there to be people seeking that gear as you d othe Pentax. Am I mistaken?]

Nope your not mistaken, there are a couple that solely search for the stereo equipment, and the audiophile named Peter who drives over the border every Saturday from Windsor Ontario he spends hours just sorting through old 45's and 33 records.A few weeks ago a regular named Mellisa seriously found a genuine Picasso ceramic piece for 50 cents she just sold it for $1,900.

[Maybe I can help. A few important questions before I have a chance however.
1) What operating system do you run and what version is it? ]

Any way the Windblows XP pro SP2

[2) Do you know if your computer came with Virus and Firewall protection pre-installed? If so, is it perhaps McAfee or is it Norton?]

A-Squared Background Guard

[I do find your situation unusual, because when you upload an image, your web browser is communicating to the Web Server using port 80. The port number your side uses, as it is a "outbound connection" from your computer, should not be restricted.
What bothers me is I have no problem uploading my eWay auction images and to another site that I am not at liberty and under contract not to write about at this moment. But when I have tried to upload to my trial P-base account and here I get the firewall denial error. My trial period at P Base has run out and I would hate to pay for the service if I can not upload images to it. Everyone in our local Pentax photography club insists I use P-base because of the quality of the site and they are all situated there. I have not attempted to use any other image sites as of yet.

Anyways any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Wendy
01-22-2008, 09:03 PM   #39
Veteran Member

a a i b: Let me guess - that shot was taken with the FA 50mm f/1.4, right? No? A 50mm f/1.7?
01-22-2008, 09:21 PM   #40

Hi Wendy, I'd suggest setting up a flickr account. In free mode it allows you to upload 200 images at 1024x768 which would be plenty sufficient for linking to in other forums.

As for the purchase, all I can say is WOW.

I never ever have this luck with finding lenses. They are already way up into the sky as far as pricing goes by the time I find them.

I've never been to an estate auction before so that will commence from now on I'd say.
01-22-2008, 09:23 PM   #41
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
The only explanation I have is that you are referring to "A 1:2". Indeed, PENTAX-A 1:2 is very common and it is not surprising that you have been seeing lots of 1:2 versions. In contrast, PENTAX-A 1:1.2 is relatively rare lens and not easy to find around. I have personally never heard of "A 1.2" just "A 1:2".

Here are "1:2" and "1:1.2" versions I was talking about with clearly visible markings:

This is exactly what I was referring to. The first image "A 1.2 or F2" I have seen hundreds of them. The second image is the exact lens I was asking about and purchased at the sale. I had never seen heard of or handled one till this point in time. It interested my curiosity when the lens was larger than any of the 1.2's I had seen before.

Thank you for posting these images.

[If you own "smc PENTAX-A 1.2 50mm" (not 1:1.2) this should be reported to Bojidar Dimitrov immediately and posted on his site. Could you please post pictures of both?]

I have in my lens cabinet around 11, "50mm A 1.2 's" some are different from the others but quite similar, most are exactly the same. I have not handled them for quite some time. I will photograph them when time allows and forward the images to Bojidar Dimitrov. I have no problem e-mailing images just posting them as explained earlier in this thread.

Last edited by WendyB; 01-22-2008 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Dyslexic fingers
01-22-2008, 09:44 PM   #42
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

You should use your new f1.2 to take a picture of this Walter guy and post here - we can make him our unofficial mascot! :^) (In my mind's eye I imagine him looking and acting like 'Newman' from Seinfeld...)
I am laughing so hard at this I have tears in my eyes. Never thought about the Seinfeld-Newman connection before, Oh my God when I think about it Walter fits the character perfectly. Not quite as portly but absolutely the same demeanor.

Quite honestly I am looking for an opportunity to kick Walter square and hard right in the babymakers if he ever attempts to lay a hand on me again. It took a month for the bruise on my hip to go away.
01-22-2008, 09:44 PM   #43
m8o
Veteran Member

What bothers me is I have no problem uploading my eWay auction images and to another site that I am not at liberty and under contract not to write about at this moment. But when I have tried to upload to my trial P-base account and here I get the firewall denial error. My trial period at P Base has run out and I would hate to pay for the service if I can not upload images to it. Everyone in our local Pentax photography club insists I use P-base because of the quality of the site and they are all situated there. I have not attempted to use any other image sites as of yet.
Sincerely,
Wendy
I'd like to help; which is why I asked a number of questions, to have some understanding of your environment... You can selectively turn firewall restrictions off, but there are 4 or 5 possible versions of Windows alone that you could be running, each operating and configured differently, and out of the many possibilities most likely about 4 or 5 different firewall brands, with a number of different versions of each. If your run Mac, hoping someone else can help as I don't know that platform.
01-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
a a i b: Let me guess - that shot was taken with the FA 50mm f/1.4, right? No? A 50mm f/1.7?
I'd guess the 77 Limited. (But then, that wasn't much of a "guess" since I checked the exif data)

By the way - pbase isn't the problem - lots of us post from there.

Last edited by betsypdx; 01-22-2008 at 09:49 PM. Reason: pbase info
01-22-2008, 09:57 PM   #45
m8o
Veteran Member

This is exactly what I was referring to. The first image "A 1.2 or F2" I have seen hundreds of them. The second image is the exact lens I was asking about and purchased at the sale. I had never seen heard of or handled one till this point in time. It interested my curiosity when the lens was larger than any of the 1.2's I had seen before.
Wendy, whether a typo or you're not making the distinction, this by the way is the source of confusion many were set off by ... when you say "larger than any of the 1.2's I had seen before", you should realize this is incorrect. You never had seen or handle a "1.2" before [f/1.2, or 1:1.2 note the extra "1." there ] ; as you'd stated though you had handled 1:2 [f/2, or 1:2] lenses plenty.

So just trying to point to you that you continue to mix up or interchange the "." with the ":", and are equating "1:2" with "1.2". It means enormously different things...

Last edited by m8o; 01-22-2008 at 10:04 PM.