Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2012, 02:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
77 is the first FA ltd I bought, no regret!
(The only lens that can beat this is FA*85, but it is a monster compare to 77).

great choice!
I think DFA 100 WR can compete just as well, plus the added benefit of WR (albeit at a slightly longer FL).

06-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Okay, where to start ? Well first off I don't think I should because a thorough appraisal of this lens will only reveal itself after some time. An afternoon shooting across a really miserable London in the drizzle is not the greatest way to birth the new jewel. But I promised a pic so here's two, man have I got to learn how to work this glass. I've only just mastered the FA 50.

Both f2.5, bit of Lightroom and a small crop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by London Rob; 06-07-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: pics
06-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I don't know why people talk about CA with the FA 77mm like it's a big deal. I have used 2 copies of the FA 77mm and I have not encountered any issues with CA. I can only conclude those who did might have got a dud copy.
Quit showing off.{:^). How about some pics of Sentosa(went twice in '92).
06-09-2012, 02:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Indeed, of all the primes I have, the FA 77mm (and the FA 43 mm to lesser extend) shows some 'unpleasant' PF. But now, as LR4.1 handles this fairly well, better than LR3 ever did, PF is no more a issue.
I think that we should see things as a combination of several items: body + lens + software and PP, correct me if I am wrong...

06-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #20

I'm looking at buying either the 77mm f/1.8 or the 70mm f/2.4 - In Australia there is still a pretty big difference in price, I'm looking at around $400 more for the 77mm.
I have a K5 and mostly shoot bands in low light, at the moment I only have the DA* 16-50 (which I love)

I have read so many reviews on both these portrait lenses but still can't decide, is the 77mm really worth the extra cash or will I see similar results with the 70mm? I've often read the 70mm has better optical quality, advise?
06-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #21
pdo

My favorite and most use lense.

06-10-2012, 05:51 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paceyy Quote
I'm looking at buying either the 77mm f/1.8 or the 70mm f/2.4 - In Australia there is still a pretty big difference in price, I'm looking at around $400 more for the 77mm.
I have a K5 and mostly shoot bands in low light, at the moment I only have the DA* 16-50 (which I love)

I have read so many reviews on both these portrait lenses but still can't decide, is the 77mm really worth the extra cash or will I see similar results with the 70mm? I've often read the 70mm has better optical quality, advise?
Well, if, soon or later, Pentax goes FF, then with the FA's you will be ready, I did say "if"...
But, as you already have a nice zoom lens (F 2.8), why not considering the less expensive 100mm (F 2.8) WR macro, which, BTW, is FF too.

06-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #23

Hmmm, this is something I hadn't considered. Such a jump in focal length it's almost scary! I'm used to only being able to go to 50mm :P
Is it a quick shift lens?
Sorry I also revamped another thread with a bit more of a detailed description!
06-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good question - the "in-depth" review doesn't say.
06-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
Well, if, soon or later, Pentax goes FF, then with the FA's you will be ready, I did say "if"...
But, as you already have a nice zoom lens (F 2.8), why not considering the less expensive 100mm (F 2.8) WR macro, which, BTW, is FF too.
I'm sorry but I never get why people offer up f2.8 macro lenses (both the Sigma 105 and Tamron 90 are also incredibly sharp with gorgeous bokeh) as considerations for low light shooting. They are a stop slower than the 77, the focal length is generally less than ideal, they rack from focus limit to focus limit (unless like the Tamron they have a limiter) and are generally slow to focus anyway. They are not the ideal portrait lens but can be excellent ... in the right situation.

To PaceYY.
If you are considering a 77 for shooting bands then you must be pretty close and with that consideration in mind the 77 is a very good choice, but maybe a 50/55 f1.4 or possibly a f1.2 would be even better. Though for the best shots you would need flash anyway - in which case something like the Tamron 17-50 or 28-75 (both f2.8) would be ideal.

77 Ltd - w/o. flash

77 Ltd - w. flash
06-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by London Rob Quote
Just ordered an FA 77 !
May you both be very happy together, by all accounts it's a cracking piece of glass.
06-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I'm sorry but I never get why people offer up f2.8 macro lenses (both the Sigma 105 and Tamron 90 are also incredibly sharp with gorgeous bokeh) as considerations for low light shooting. They are a stop slower than the 77, the focal length is generally less than ideal, they rack from focus limit to focus limit (unless like the Tamron they have a limiter) and are generally slow to focus anyway. They are not the ideal portrait lens but can be excellent ... in the right situation.

To PaceYY.
If you are considering a 77 for shooting bands then you must be pretty close and with that consideration in mind the 77 is a very good choice, but maybe a 50/55 f1.4 or possibly a f1.2 would be even better. Though for the best shots you would need flash anyway - in which case something like the Tamron 17-50 or 28-75 (both f2.8) would be ideal.

77 Ltd - w/o. flash

77 Ltd - w. flash

I really dislike the look that flash gives. I bought one not long ago and I really only ever use it if I'm taking pictures of friends etc.
I like the ambience in photos from the gig lighting and flash just squashes that all together.
I get some great shots without it.

I actually am starting to consider the 55mm F1.4 as it's not that much more expensive than the 77mm. I guess I got a little taken with the pancake style :P But maybe the 55mm would suit me better anyway being WR and have the better AF.
06-11-2012, 04:39 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Hmmm, this is something I hadn't considered. Such a jump in focal length it's almost scary! I'm used to only being able to go to 50mm :P
Sorry I also revamped another thread with a bit more of a detailed description!
The 100 macro wr is a quick shift, the 77 ltd is not. That is actually the one thing that I really wish they had on the 77 because I used that feature a lot on the 35 ltd and the 100wr.

After I got my 77 I wondered why I had waited so long to consider/buy one. I have only had it about a month and it is already the workhorse of my engagement and portrait shoots.

Last edited by Allison; 06-12-2012 at 04:31 AM.
06-12-2012, 04:15 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Honestly, I dont know what the big deal is about quickshift. I have several DA lenses including DA 70 LTD, have never once used quickshift. I prefer to shift the focus point to suit. If you really miss Quickshift though, you can use the Lens release button as a quickshift.
06-12-2012, 04:31 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I think quick shift is just a nice feature. The 35 ltd and the dfa100 wr really got me back to doing some manual focusing. This started as I was working with their macro capabilities. The af would get you so far (and I usually select my focus point) and then I could fine tune the rest. Then I started noticing how useful that was during portraits, too. Would a lack of quick shift prevent me from purchasing a lens? Clearly not as I have purchased the 77, but I think it is a nice feature to include on your top of the line lenses.