Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LBA - Now that I bought it what do I do with it?

Ok while out searching my haunts, i picked up a tamron SP 90mmF2.5 macro. It came with an M42 mount

I have heard good things about this lens, but not sure what I should do with it, relative to which mount I should put on it.

I have several adaptall II mounts, including, now with this lens, 2 M42 mounts (one is on my 24/2.5) one K mount (unused at present) and 2 KA mounts (one on my 200-500 and the other on my 28/2.5)

In terms of competition for use, this lens has lots, as I already have an M100/4, an SMC Macro tak 50, for macro lenses, so I don't need another macro in either M42 or K mount and both the super tak 85/1.9 and vivitar (samyang) 85/1.4 so I don't need a short tele portrait lens in M42 or KA mount

I can realistically see either the K mount on it and have a K series portrait lens (where I don;t have one presently), or I think more logically, take the KA mount from the 28mm as I have a few of those already, and have a KA mount macro, that would give me P-TTL flash.

assuming you had the lenses I have mentioned what mount would you put on it?

p.s. for those who don';t know me I have extensive K and M42 kits at present.

06-05-2012, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Admire it, adore it, embrace it, love it, smile and forget your doubts.
Go to sleep in the evening and then, next morning, wisdom will brighten your day.
If not, I think you shouldn't have bought it.

And though you ask us, and many will answer, you already know best.
And if not, go to sleep in the evening, don't close the curtains completely,
leave the window open slightly, surely a wisdom fairy will fly in and whisper the truth into your ear.

Of course you can always decide to change the mount each year.

And next morning you will know what to do.
06-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lowell: Of all the lenses I have tried over the years, my copy of that lens had the most visible snap into focus I have ever seen. It is also one of the very sharpest I have ever owned across the entire FoV (flattest). I had intended to use it just as you stated, but turns out it was sharper than I wanted for portraits, so I got a K105/2.8. I also had a number of other Tamron Adaptall lenses and mounts, as well as a Viv 105/2.5, so in a fit of kit rationalization I sold all the Tamrons and the VIvitar.

I would use the P/KA mount. Mine worked all the way down to 2.5 with the e-dial after I did the contact scraping fix. Metering seemed to be very close.

There are few lenses I regret selling - that's one of them.
06-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Lowell: Of all the lenses I have tried over the years, my copy of that lens had the most visible snap into focus I have ever seen. It is also one of the very sharpest I have ever owned across the entire FoV (flattest). I had intended to use it just as you stated, but turns out it was sharper than I wanted for portraits, so I got a K105/2.8. I also had a number of other Tamron Adaptall lenses and mounts, as well as a Viv 105/2.5, so in a fit of kit rationalization I sold all the Tamrons and the VIvitar.

I would use the P/KA mount. Mine worked all the way down to 2.5 with the e-dial after I did the contact scraping fix. Metering seemed to be very close.

There are few lenses I regret selling - that's one of them.
OK here goes,

I have already a K105, so the softness is covered, as Noted I also have a viv 85/1.4 with KA mount, but, I am too thinking the 28/2.5 is not really a worthwhile use of a KA adapter so it might just get demoted, and I would put the KA mount in this and have a fully auto mode macro.

06-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The adaptall sp90/2.5 is no particularly sharp wide open, so it may do fine as a portait lens. I'd do a comparison with the M100 to decide which I like for various uses. Film is cheap. No film is even cheaper.
06-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #6

I use the SP90/2.5 on FF digital and on the K20D using the m42 adapter since I am shooting close and prefer manual focus doing so. Both cameras underexpose when the lens is wide open but the dreamy bokeh is worth working with this lens. I also have the 2.8 Di version of the lens and several othe macro lenses but seem to find the "$40 wonder" on my camera the most often. Try it, I'm sure you will like it.
06-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lowell,
I am guessing if you try to attach a camera to your lenses maybe you will find them more useful...:-) and the answer will come...:-)

06-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've got two of 'em (both the 52B + 52BB) and all three Pentax adapters -- the M42 adapter and the 52B go waaay back to Spotmatic days.

Perhaps it's just old habits, but I rarely bother to mount the PK/A adapter for macro/close-up purposes and use them as M- and K-class lenses. I've never been more than slightly tempted to look for any other 90-105mm lens "upgrade" for their intended purpose. My Super Tak 105 is preferred for 'portrait-type' stuff though.

I'd note that a hood can make a surprising difference in the contrast and off-axis flare with this lens under certain conditions.

H2
06-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
LBA - Now that I bought it what do I do with it?
SELL IT, SELL IT SELL IT
to me.
please.
pretty please.
for almost no money...

I also have a m42 and KA mounts, but I don't like the adaptall lenses I have (80-210 and 70-210). I haven't been able to sell any of them yet, so I'm still hanging on to this fantasy that I'll find a cheap, worthwhile, Adaptall lens. I'm also interested in trying a real macro lens, rather than using tubes all the time.
06-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, so here goes.

I have tested it out,, so to speak in my K10D with the M42 adapter it came with (after making the appropriate aperture pin fix) and am more than slightly impressed.

I will need to think this one over some before I decide on a mount, but for the moment, it makes no difference which mount, but if I really want to do macro, and use a flash, i will eventually put it on a KA mount.

What I really need to do is some side by side tests against my SMC-M 100/4 and also my super tak 85/1.9 because this lens, at 90 mm could replace both of them.

We'll see

I will aslo look for a hood, as mine came without one but has the bayonet tabs to take a 1/4 turn hood.
06-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
SELL IT, SELL IT SELL IT
to me.
please.
pretty please.
for almost no money...

I also have a m42 and KA mounts, but I don't like the adaptall lenses I have (80-210 and 70-210). I haven't been able to sell any of them yet, so I'm still hanging on to this fantasy that I'll find a cheap, worthwhile, Adaptall lens. I'm also interested in trying a real macro lens, rather than using tubes all the time.
This is I believe my 51st lens, I have never , ever, sold anything.

as for the lenses you have, It is hard to get excited about them, i think of them really as consumer lenses, no where near on par with some of the other zooms out there (the series 1 70-210 F3.5 comes to mind)

THis is my 4th tamron, but it is a somewhat specific purpose lens
06-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
This is I believe my 51st lens, I have never , ever, sold anything.
Well you try it this once? Or maybe something radical and give it away.

I agree - the two lenses I have are nothing special. But I got the 80-210 with the m42 adapter for $20 shipped, and the 70-210 came with the PKA adapter, and another camera and lens for less than what the PKA usually sells for. So I can't complain too much, but will be happy when this gear sits on someone else's shelf and I recover my costs.
06-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Well you try it this once? Or maybe something radical and give it away.
no give aways either sorry
QuoteQuote:

I agree - the two lenses I have are nothing special. But I got the 80-210 with the m42 adapter for $20 shipped, and the 70-210 came with the PKA adapter, and another camera and lens for less than what the PKA usually sells for. So I can't complain too much, but will be happy when this gear sits on someone else's shelf and I recover my costs.
I have generally, (not always) have tried to purchase quality only, which is why I have not really so,d anything., I have a real use for everything I bought, and usually pick up items that are very well regarded, and for primes, always fast, -- in fact very fast. This, however was a whim, but a very good one, i have tried it, and it is still on my camera. Maybe I will do a series, all i need is one more lens, and I can do a lens a week project.
06-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As whim purchases go, this was a good one to buy. And my days buying lesser quality lenses are hopefully over, although there is no budget for anything expensive so I'll have to see where my LBA takes me. It has been fun using SuperTak lenses, which is one way of getting quality on the cheap, but then you start to learn about the limitations of not using F series or newer lenses - particularly zooms where you need the right focal length to make best use of the shake reduction. I probably could have figured this all out from reading the manual in full, but you don't get any pictures that way, good or otherwise.

I suggest you start your lens a week project and I'm sure something interesting to buy will show up by the end of the year.
06-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Congrats Lowell,

Put your Tamron sp 90/2.5 on the tc 2x 01f then p/ka, then tripod, then a wireless flash, then go out and shot some bug at f8, f11, f22.
The 90/2.5 and the tc is a killer combination. Very good working distance.