Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Oh yes, definitely, if you're looking to spend a chunk of money on something aid astrophotography, a proper equatorial mount (and, ideally, a clock drive) is the way to go. $100 spent on this will get you much farther than $100 spend on a anything else, I would have to imagine.
Do you care to explain the proper equatorial mount with a clock drive and how that works exactly please? And link me to somewhere to buy it as well please

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
also, turn off in camera noise reduction it took too long to take another shot.
I've heard about this as well and I forgot all about it. Thanks for the tip. So this helps with the time between each shot correct? Because as of right now, sometimes it takes a minute to get to take another picture again if I did an exposure under one minute

06-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you use 18mm, you can try the exposure time 25-30secs.
Turn off noise reduction I remember because the camera took another shoot with shutter close to do dark frame substitution, so you have to wait the same amount of exposure time as you took the pic. Without noise reduction, there is no wait time between shots. But you do need to do noise reduction in post.
Also, set WB to sunny (cause stars are like sun light), use mirror lock up to reduce vibration, and set SR to off (K5 did this automatically for long exposure but not sure about Kr).... and.... remove any filter, if you use filter.
06-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
if you use 18mm, you can try the exposure time 25-30secs.
Turn off noise reduction I remember because the camera took another shoot with shutter close to do dark frame substitution, so you have to wait the same amount of exposure time as you took the pic. Without noise reduction, there is no wait time between shots. But you do need to do noise reduction in post.
Also, set WB to sunny (cause stars are like sun light), use mirror lock up to reduce vibration, and set SR to off (K5 did this automatically for long exposure but not sure about Kr).... and.... remove any filter, if you use filter.
Understood. And never knew about the WB to sunny and I think that is a great piece of information to know. Also, do you or does anyone else know how to use mirror lock up on the KR?

Edit: Believe I figured it out. Must use self-timer for mirror to lock up. Which is better, 2sec or 12 sec?

Last edited by DominicDom; 06-07-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Figured out how to lock mirror
06-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wikipedia has entires both for equatorial mount and for clock drive; those should explain things far better and more efficiently than I could. But basically, these are devices to keep your camera or telescope pointed at the same place in the sky while the earth rotates, in principle allowing infinitely long shutter speeds with no motion blur. The equatorial mount also provides a simple way of pointing your camera at specific coordinates in the sky, such as to find some particular nebula that isn't visible with the naked eye. Although that's really only relevant when using telescopes or extreme telephoto lenses where you planning on shooting just that nebula rather than wide angle shots of the whole sky.