Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
DA40XS certainly punches above its weight (by a lot)
You have a way with words. Well stated.

06-08-2012, 05:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is so flipping stupid. Can I urge everyone not to go and check DXO's site to see this review, giving them free traffic, as it's just stupid and flies in the face of every sensible review or user opinion about this lens (and the DA40mm). There's clearly something lacking in the way they test lenses.
06-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
well, I first thought they are optically identical......
06-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Dxo is a joke

06-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #20

I can't help but notice the irony...more so over on depreview...when someone asks about the K-5 vs 'x' camera, the advantage of the K-5 based on the dxomark score is taken as gospel (even when comparing it a camera that uses the same sensor), but if dxo gives a so-so review to a Pentax lens, "well, I never liked dxo's scoring...".

While I think lens reviews can be helpful, I don't know if they've ever made or broke a decision for me.
06-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by guinnessman Quote
I can't help but notice the irony...more so over on depreview...when someone asks about the K-5 vs 'x' camera, the advantage of the K-5 based on the dxomark score is taken as gospel (even when comparing it a camera that uses the same sensor), but if dxo gives a so-so review to a Pentax lens, "well, I never liked dxo's scoring...".

While I think lens reviews can be helpful, I don't know if they've ever made or broke a decision for me.
While I think they are good at scoring sensor performance I'm less than impressed with their lens reviews (be they good or bad) Photozone seems a better spot (and they aren't always kind to Pentax product either)
06-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the XS is better than the Limited I should have bought the K-01 kit - I think the Ltd. is a great lens on my K10D and K-01.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-08-2012 at 12:17 PM.
06-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #23
Banned

Original Poster
We are always more willing to accept the opinions of those that support our beliefs. But someone that disagrees with what we believe is instantly rejected as a fool or as an enemy. It's our nature.
06-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
btw, I own the the lens in question and find it more to my liking than the Ltd. version.
I descided to sell the xs-version and keep my Ltd. Having two 40mm was not to my idea. Not having a hood was a minus for me.
06-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
We are always more willing to accept the opinions of those that support our beliefs. But someone that disagrees with what we believe is instantly rejected as a fool or as an enemy. It's our nature.
So true.
06-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I descided to sell the xs-version and keep my Ltd. Having two 40mm was not to my idea. Not having a hood was a minus for me.
I never noticed that you couldn't add a hood to it or that it wouldn't take 49mm filters. This is reason enough to stick with the ltd version for me since the DA40xs doesn't have the filter rings.

Is it possible that testing one lens with the filter (ltd) and one without (xs) could account for the differences that the test sites are seeing?
06-10-2012, 03:32 AM   #27
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
I never noticed that you couldn't add a hood to it or that it wouldn't take 49mm filters. This is reason enough to stick with the ltd version for me since the DA40xs doesn't have the filter rings.

Is it possible that testing one lens with the filter (ltd) and one without (xs) could account for the differences that the test sites are seeing?
It takes 27mm rings, so you can put a hood on. I also have some 49mm filters like IR, so I don't want to trade in on that investment. I found quickly a buyer since it isn't available as separate lens at the time overhere.
06-10-2012, 03:39 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, the sensor scores are more in line with what I see when I am shooting. The K7 had a pretty poor score and it wasn't great at higher iso or, in the dynamic range department.

On the other hand, lenses get a single number, that seems to be primarily dependent on light transmission and whether the lens is mounted on a full frame camera. Bokeh, lens build, lens size are not taken into account. On photozone, Klaus can be very hard on Pentax (and other makers) lenses, but at least he looks at all aspects of a lens before giving his final verdict.
06-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
As mentioned, it does have 27mm filter ring so I just added a 27mm-to-49mm step ring so now my old hoods and filters fit if needed.