Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
Inactive Account

It's 27mm that specs sheet said. The da 40 is like half that and the xs even smaller. That said, Pentax need to make the ship more water tight.

06-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think this 40mm is that big of a deal, it's just a Canon attempt at saving *our* 40mm lenses from having their levels lopped off. Personally, I think it's probably just an attempt to get some attention from those in the world of photography, while making it so that their second cheapest lens isn't in the 300$ range. However, this does raise the question - When is Ricoh going to step in and really do something...not just re-release the same sensor in a new body at a lower price?(I suppose Canon has done that with the T4i though...)

Edit: ALSO - The reason this has internal focusing is do to the fact that the EF(Electrofocus) mount cameras *lack* screw driven AF. Every EF lens(Barring 1 or 2 freaks of nature) has internal focus. My guess? This thing's AF will sound a lot like the 50 1.8 from Canon does, noisy, irritating and will be highly inaccurate at times. Willing to be 40% of the cost of this lens is the motor, and the assembly of said motor. 99% chance it will pale in comparison to the 40 LTD, and still suffer a horrible death at the hands of the XS.(Not surprising, it's optically close to the LTD)

Re-Edit: Also, bear in mind, Canon has a 1.62 crop factor on their T*i series cameras. This won't provide that same cozy feel, it'll be more like a short tele.

Pentax should start putting Lens->Body seals on all their lenses. Then they could at least have the gimmick of "All our cameras and lenses are weather resistant".

Last edited by Eulogy; 06-08-2012 at 10:39 AM.
06-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #18
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
"The EF 40mm f/2.8 STM is Canon's first EF pancake lens with a fixed focal length of 40mm and wide f/2.8 aperture, making it ideal for photographers who want a versatile, compact and lightweight lens for portrait, reportage, travel or landscape situations. Precision control over the circular, seven-blade aperture is enabled by the EMD, producing a beautiful bokeh effect and an aspheric lens with Super spectra coatings ensures optimal image quality from the centre of the lens to the periphery for stunning shots of practically any subject."
I don't care. It's Planar and rather big vs DA40 and DA40XS. Not metal. Cheap lenses from Canon are rather mediocre.
Canon has no rather compact cameras like K-5 or K-30.
The real focal length of Canon is 38 mm. Let's compare with DA35/2.4.
06-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Okay lets talk about Canon 650D and this new 40mm lens.

Did you know the 40mm lens has a new "type" of autofocus motor Canon calls it STM

Did you know that the 650D has phase AF pixels on the sensor just like Nikon 1 camera.

Did you know you need to have a lens with STM to use this feature

you can say what you want about Pentax but they don't screw us like this.
I'm sorry, but this is a crazy-sauce view of the world. The new camera features need new lens features to work properly. This is like complaining that Pentax requires people to buy these new "FA" series lenses in order to get autofocus when Pentax introduced the KAF mount — why can't it just work with the M and A lenses?

06-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I'm sorry, but this is a crazy-sauce view of the world. The new camera features need new lens features to work properly. This is like complaining that Pentax requires people to buy these new "FA" series lenses in order to get autofocus when Pentax introduced the KAF mount — why can't it just work with the M and A lenses?
And what is that new features, autofocus is not really new you know
Anyway you're wrong because the site was wrong i got the information from so it work with all lenses.

Anyyway, did you know what pentax did when they went to SDM, they build a lens that also has screw-drive AF so that it works with older lenses, penatx is the only one who has does that.
06-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
And what is that new features, autofocus is not really new you know
Anyway you're wrong because the site i got the information from was wrong so it work with all lenses.
(...).
Unfortunately the hybrid, on-sensor phase + contrast autofocus works only with STM lenses (lenses equipped with a linear stepper motor) and it's even written in Canon's press release -see the shooter:

"1 AF in Live View and Movies subject to use with Canon stepping motor (STM) lenses"

Canon announces EOS 650D / Rebel T4i 18MP touch-screen DSLR with Hybrid AF: Digital Photography Review
06-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
your girlfriends lens is DX , your lens would be classed FX, look at the price of an FX 35
the DA 35 2.4 is the DX equivalent (though the nikon is an excellent value i agree, between it and the 50 and 85 it's tempting me to get a D3200 as a second system camera (the DXO score certainly made me start thinking about it)
lolol, but pentax has no FF. And the nikon 35 1,8 is compatible with FF, I've heard. Just like the "inferior" :-) DA 35 2,4.

If nikon would offer the FA 35 f2 instead of their 35 1,4 people would LOL, unfair comparison because pentax has no competitive glass to Nikons FX. Sorry.

06-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #23
Forum Member

Pricing is one issue, but other major features needed are: Faster sensor readout to improve AF speed in CDAF and phase detect sensor like in nikon 1 system (for use in live view) with AF motor in 18-135mm or 18-250mm silent and fast. This will make K-mount cameras one of the best values for traditional still camera use AND best responsive liveview DSLR with lots of legacy lens support
At that point people will not complain too much about lens pricing
06-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Don't forget that Canon's pancace is officially FF compatible.
06-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
dishonesty?
40 xs - $246.95 not $199
35,50 - plastic mount!!! and canon 50/1.8 - $109 not $250

just look at how many lenses are available for pentax and canon from adorama
06-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Don't forget that Canon's pancace is officially FF compatible.
pentax's only isn't because there isn't a FF to mount it on. it would be if there were wouldn't it?
06-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #27

ah, I was crying when last weekend my friend pulled out her d700 and nikon film camera to switch 50mm
06-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #28
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Right on. Here's my take on this:

New Canon 40mm Pancake - A Threat to Pentax? - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-08-2012, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by QFish Quote
40 xs - $246.95 not $199
35,50 - plastic mount!!! and canon 50/1.8 - $109 not $250

just look at how many lenses are available for pentax and canon from adorama
Here's a tissue. You have some spittle coming out of your mouth.
06-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #30
Forum Member

I believe you missed the point here: This lens uses silent/ STM motor for use in a sensor capable of phase detect AF and CDAF. Potentially this means faster AF. If the image sensor has a faster readout ala olympus/ panasonic, then live view operation will be close to a EP3/ OM-1 in terms of speed. So you have a camera that can do traditional operations well AND can compete with mirrorless guys... Look at Pentax. K-01 is a good concept except that they did not take steps like faster sensor readout or lens design needed to optimize CDAF which means among mirrorless cameras it is a laggard. If K-30 has those features, then we got a video camera that can do good AF, live view camera with faster AF and traditional camera. Even though canon T4i seems like a evolution, in essence they are testing their new technologies for better mirrorless cameras. I bet they will come out with K-01 sized mirrorless except that faster AF and everybody will ignore the size issues. They took the ideas from Pentax but implemented one notch higher.