Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
and on and on and on and on.

I am getting absolutely sick and tired of self-proclaimed Pentaxians bitching and complaining about how expensive the Pentax offerings are.
To be clear, I'm not a "Pentaxian". I enjoy my Pentax gear, and appreciate the ways in which it is superior to alternatives, but Pentax does not pay me anything or give me free stuff.

I hope they succeed, both for selfish reasons (I'm invested in the system) and because I think the company has a lot to offer, but also, I can make comments about out-of-touch pricing — apparently a right I wouldn't have if I were a true Pentaxian.

In any case, it appears I was right in both this post and in the one a while back where I said the sky isn't falling and that there's no way out-of-touch prices could be sustained — see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/188901-b-h-price-drops.html (which of course you all have seen by now anyway).

06-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
DxO reached the exact opposite conclusion rating the XS 1 point higher than the Ltd.
My experience completely agrees with DxO's ratings of sensors and completely disagrees with their rating for Lenses. For what that's worth, at least.
06-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I don't get it. You guys talk about Pentax lenses without SDM like it's a bad thing. I imagine the 40mm works because it's screw-driven. If it was SDM many people wouldn't even be interested, including me.
Well, we are also hoping the Pentax SDM gets fixed and becomes an asset instead of a problem.
06-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Well, we are also hoping the Pentax SDM gets fixed and becomes an asset instead of a problem.
SDM has been fixed for me. See the equipment listed in my signature.

06-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #65
Pentaxian

and on and on and on and on.

I am getting absolutely sick and tired of self-proclaimed Pentaxians bitching and complaining about how expensive the Pentax offerings are. Are some of their lenses more expensive than their Canonikon counterparts? ........
+1 to Heie for all the points.

The argument presented on this thread is wrong in the first place.
The Canon lens is supposed to be compared to the 40XS not ltd.
I thought non-SDM is a good thing on PF? (now someone is arguing it the other way round)(...wait till the it fails on the canon ... )
06-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Same here...No issues with SDM, and I am confident it never will. And if it does? Oh well, I'll bite the bullet and replace the motor because they are such nice lenses. But until (if) that happens, I am not letting fear inspired by the vocal minority (because it can't POSSIBLY be the majority) determine that SDM is a lost cause.

There are much worse things to be consumed with worrying about than SDM. To each their own, I guess...

-Heie
06-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I thought non-SDM is a good thing on PF?
Same here...No issues with SDM, and I am confident it never will.
Yes, non-SDM is good. My sarcasm was missed. After having issues with SDM I've replaced all of them with non-SDM (my short post above mentioning my signature shows no SDM anymore, and that's how I fixed my SDM problems ).

06-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Yes, non-SDM is good. My sarcasm was missed. After having issues with SDM I've replaced all of them with non-SDM (my short post above mentioning my signature shows no SDM anymore, and that's how I fixed my SDM problems ).
Oh, haha. I guess I skipped your signature

But my point still stands - I think the SDM lenses are great and would buy them all again if they were stolen from me and I had the money.

-Heie
06-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #69
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
DxO reached the exact opposite conclusion rating the XS 1 point higher than the Ltd.
My understanding of DXOMark is that their conclusion rating is an overall score factoring in price, size, weight etc etc on top of optical performance (the XS's F-Stop rating is also more accurate). The limited version is sharper with better chromatic aberration control (according to both sites) though which is inline with SLRGear.com results.

Of course the question is, what's more important to you? Personally I'd pay for a sharper lens wide open with quick shift but the XS still seems to be a good deal.
06-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jay_akita Quote
Double checked - this comparison is copied directly from SLRGear.com (see below in red). I was set on the new XS largely because I'm very happy with the 35 F2.4 lens I bought last year and I don't own a pancake lens but it sounds like I'd be better served with the limited version - thankfully the prices just dropped on that one to something much more reasonable. The XS's diminutive size is very compelling though and I think it looks great on a K5...

Pentax 40mm ƒ/2.8 Limited SMC P-DA ~$500
At double the price and double the width, does it offer double the quality? The Limited SMC P-DA does offer significantly more sharpness than the XS model as well as convincingly better performance regarding chromatic aberration. Distortion and corner shading results are the same, and there are a few more frills such as a distance scale.

Like i said the lens design/optical formula is the same it's only the body that's different and the coating.

DxOMark - Pentax?s new pancake lens falls flat

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Lenses/Compare-Camera-Lenses/Compare-lenses...676#div1anchor
06-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Like i said the lens design/optical formula is the same it's only the body that's different and the coating.
It seems pretty clear you've never held or used both versions of the DA 40mm lenses before because if you did you'd know that there is a difference in the aperture blades. The aperture blades are rounded on the new 40mm XS.
06-11-2012, 01:57 AM   #72

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Perhaps some, but, most will just keep complaining, about something, we don't know what. I don't complain. If I need something Pentax doesn't have, I'll switch. What's the point in complaining? You guys go on and on and whine and whine. Just take pictures FFS. No one cares if you stay, no one cares if you switch. Just switch systems, quietly, please. Not for us, for your own good. Find something that makes you happy. Or at least something that makes you stop complaining. What is with you people?

There are lots of great systems out there. Maybe you can find something you like better.You don't buy a car, and then start whining because you didn't buy one suited to your needs. You bought the car , you're complaining about your decision. You bought a Pentax, you're complaining about your stupid decision. Not Pentax's decision, your decision. If you whiners had an once of integrity, you would have been out of here long ago. Put your money where your mouth is. I don't need Pentax to be the cheapest system. I just need it to be what I need, and it is, and all staying with them has to be is cheaper than switching. I simply cannot believe that people who are so unhappy with Pentax, still own Pentax cameras. If I was crying like some of the guys posting on here I'd be embarrassed. I don't know how I'd show my face. But hey, that's just me. I'm take control kind of guy. I run my life. I don't spend my time complaining about the price of this or the price of that. If you want something someone else has, you have to pay their price. If you don't want it, buy something else. Is this a difficult concept?

If Adam were smart he'd start a website for people pushing other systems. And another one for those who just want to complain about what Pentax has and hasn't done. Or invent a way I can block these stupid posts. Why do I want this crap on the top of the browse new posts page when the real Pentax users, those in post your photos and photocritque etc. don't seem to even get there. Drowned out by the whiners, complainers and politics. It's odd, the joy is hidden, the BS floats to the top, for every one to look at.
Took the words right out from my mouth. +1
06-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
It seems pretty clear you've never held or used both versions of the DA 40mm lenses before because if you did you'd know that there is a difference in the aperture blades. The aperture blades are rounded on the new 40mm XS.
I've the limited for 3 years now and users here that have directly copmpared say the shapes of the blades aren't different.
Beside that what has the shape of the blades to do with the for example the sharpness, colour, contrast of an photo?
Rounded blades are really overrated.
06-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #74
Banned

Yeah, I went the non-SDM route from the beginning. I might be missing out, mostly on WR, but I don't want to keep shelling 250 euros out every year.

So now with the DA40 Limited and XS, we see there are some differences on a bench and spec sheet, but I'm finding it hard to imagine that there would be so much of a real world difference. The only major difference/question I had was regarding the fact that the XS doesn't have a hood and how that affects things.
06-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Non of the DA* primes have really an issue with SDM and neither does the DA*60-250 so why will you stop buying those while it's only the DA*16-50 and DA*50-135 with the most problems.

Some people here are really irrational....

And there should be a new rule here, no complaining about something if it didn't happen to you.

I've the DA*16-50 and DA*50-135 for two years now without any problems, am i really that lucky, i really doubt that.