Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2012, 01:15 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm yet to be disappointed with any of the Sigma lenses I have ever owned. That includes three ancient MF lenses, and three modern AF zooms.

I'm currently comparing my new DA*16-50 with my much-loved EX17-50, and I'm having hard time splitting the two. The Pentax wins on build quality and WR, AF performance (speed, silence and accuracy) and quick shift, while the Sigma wins on chromatic aberration and colours, and maybe marginally in sharpness. Given that I have some stellar primes for sharpness, and CA and colour rendition can be corrected in PP, I'll probably sell the Sigma, but not without reservations.

My 70-200 is absolutely flawless. It is still one of my most used lenses.

I would have no hesitation about the 85/1.4 simply because it's a Sigma. If I ever tire of the FA77 for tight portraits I would seriously consider it, especially if a full-frame materialises.

06-10-2012, 01:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Where did you read about Sigma QC issues?

Like you I have never had any issues with my Sigma lenses. And when I read about lens QC issues they are Pentax-related as in bad 55/1.4 copies (DPreview tried three and none was good, forum member robgo tried five and none was good), SDM failures, 16-50 decentering issues, etc.

Surely Sigma produces some copies that should be returned but where is evidence that this happens any more often than with other manufacturers?

In Germany, Sigma once sold lenses with a six year warranty (not sure whether they still do it). That's quiet a statement of confidence. Compare that to the one year Pentax warranty even for DA* lenses.

I hear you . I have owned 2 x sigma lenses previously and still do. both came with screwdrive mounts ,a 70-300 DL macro and the other 24-70 F2.8 , As I have Mentioned None of these lenses has given me any trouble in the past, the answer to your question " where did you read about sigma QC issue ? is Right here on the Forum. review by one of our own members in the 85 1.4 Sigma section . whose lense had a small abbrastion mark on rear element on arrival. so this made me think about Longer Warranty etc , lets face it warrantly is just insurance anyway ( right ) I took out 5 year warranty on my pentax K5 , will I need it . may be not, Is it a waste of Money? well that's for me to decide . I'm not burning someone else's cash. I can only go by what I hear and read . I WILL not have any hesitation in owning Sigma again because my 24-70 has been a Legendary Lens. it's quick to focus even for a Screw Drive. I remember the salesman who sold it to me asked me if I wanted the HSM version which is faster to focus but more expensive . I told him that I wanted the None HSM , not because it was cheaper but because I wanted more simplistic , less things to go wrong.
06-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #18
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Where did you read about Sigma QC issues?
1. I have owned a Sigma lens that had a focusing issue.
2. Countless magazine reviews of Sigma lenses cite bad samples tested.
3. Countless internet forum have users who have returns and issues with their Sigmas.
4. I've seen more reports of issues with Sigma products than any other brand.
5. I don't buy Sigma anymore. Not when comparable lenses from other brands exist. There isn't one Sigma I HAVE to have over something else.
06-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
Right here on the Forum. review by one of our own members in the 85 1.4 Sigma section . whose lense had a small abbrastion mark on rear element on arrival. so this made me think about Longer Warranty etc , lets face it warrantly is just insurance anyway ( right ) I took out 5 year warranty on my pentax K5, will I need it . may be not, Is it a waste of Money? well that's for me to decide.
Surely that would only be a problem if it took you more than two years to spot the abrasion mark?

Unless it's really cheap I'd forget about the extended warranty tbh.... if it doesn't die in the first two years, there's a good chance it will last the next three. And if the worst happens at least you've had at least two trouble free years to enjoy the lens

06-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
I've seen more reports of issues with Sigma products than any other brand.
You are not following this forum then?
It is a bit frightening how normal it has already become to read about people having had their Pentax SDM fail more than once.

Let's agree to disagree (on all your other points as well, except the first one).
06-10-2012, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

I own many sigma Lenses, never ever had any issue with them, from old MF lenses in the 80's thru to today, The 85 will be able to focus well in low light, but, you will have to get used to using a lens with a very shallow DoF, and that in itself can give some users a lot of trouble focusing as you must really take more care as to exactly what you lock focus on. Remember, take care with shallow DoF, and practice practice practice with the new lens and you'll love the results.

Enjoy
06-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I own many sigma Lenses, never ever had any issue with them, from old MF lenses in the 80's thru to today, The 85 will be able to focus well in low light, but, you will have to get used to using a lens with a very shallow DoF, and that in itself can give some users a lot of trouble focusing as you must really take more care as to exactly what you lock focus on. Remember, take care with shallow DoF, and practice practice practice with the new lens and you'll love the results.

Enjoy
Thanks cmohr , it sounds to me like the DOF on 85 1.4 is even more shallower than 50 , I taken a lot of shots with my 50 at 1.4 and find them a little too soft ,I need to stop down a little bit . The catch-in-focus does come in handy at times but gets a bit frustrating when you focus on the part of the face you want and then recompose to take the shot and K5 won't fire but that's another story . I liked how solid it felt on Nikon Mount.

06-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Sigma 50mm 1.4 is a lot softer that the 85mm. The 85mm is the better lens by a huge margin. I had the 85mm first and then bought the 50mm expecting the same quality but am bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the 50mm is still a great lense, I think I was just spoiled by the 85mm and maybe expected too much
06-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iwillau Quote
The Sigma 50mm 1.4 is a lot softer that the 85mm. The 85mm is the better lens by a huge margin. I had the 85mm first and then bought the 50mm expecting the same quality but am bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the 50mm is still a great lense, I think I was just spoiled by the 85mm and maybe expected too much
Thanks iwillau , i have also considered the sigma 50 1.4 earlier. Once I recieve the 85mm F/1.4 AF hsm I will offload the 50-A 1.4 , I find it troublesome at most times to get a focus confirmation on 50-A specially in low-light . the green hexagonal won't display , It's frustrating as hell. specially if your subject is standing there pulling a smyle for a Minute , I feel silly as a Photgrapher. liveview gets you close but not quite there. I love how K5 is so backward compatible though.
06-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
5years for how much $$$?
It would cost around $90 to extend the 2 year warranty to 5 years.

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Surely that would only be a problem if it took you more than two years to spot the abrasion mark?

Unless it's really cheap I'd forget about the extended warranty tbh.... if it doesn't die in the first two years, there's a good chance it will last the next three. And if the worst happens at least you've had at least two trouble free years to enjoy the lens
yeah true.

at the price quoted I think I will keep the 2 year standard warranty. and use the dough I was going to put aside for the warranty and spend it on more filters.
06-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #26
Veteran Member

The Sigma 85mm is one that I've had my eye on for a long time. Unfortunately, I keep visiting the forum Marketplace, so it's been hard to save up for the 85. When you get it, be sure to share your experience.

As far as Sigma quality issues, I've never had any problems, and I trust them far more than Pentax lenses. If you check out my signature, you should get some idea of the confidence I have in Sigma lenses. The only problem I've ever had with any of my Sigma lenses is when my new 30mm 1.4 was front focusing on my K-x. I sent the lens and my body to Sigma, and they calibrated it for free and got it back in the mail the same day they received. It came back perfectly calibrated, and is now my most used lens.
06-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
The Sigma 85mm is one that I've had my eye on for a long time. Unfortunately, I keep visiting the forum Marketplace, so it's been hard to save up for the 85. When you get it, be sure to share your experience.

As far as Sigma quality issues, I've never had any problems, and I trust them far more than Pentax lenses. If you check out my signature, you should get some idea of the confidence I have in Sigma lenses. The only problem I've ever had with any of my Sigma lenses is when my new 30mm 1.4 was front focusing on my K-x. I sent the lens and my body to Sigma, and they calibrated it for free and got it back in the mail the same day they received. It came back perfectly calibrated, and is now my most used lens.
will do. seeing the number of sigma lenses that you have in your possession says a lot about your confidence in the Sigma lenses.I too have my eyes set on the Sigma 30 1.4. Yesterday i went to the camera store who had ordered my lens and the 85 had arrived. very large glass with a giant hood
06-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yesterday i went to the camera store who had ordered my lens and the 85 had arrived. very large glass with a giant hood
Oh, exciting! Let us know how you like it! It's large, but I think it's worth every little bit of it.
06-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #29
Veteran Member

the 85 had arrived. very large glass with a giant hood
Yes, it certainly is a lot of lens. But the massive dimensions should serve to impress your friends and confuse your enemies.
06-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well , It's here. I picked it up on Thursday.

Now I need to get out and start using it.

@iwillau , my first imprssion of this lens is that is really well made. it balances quite nicely on the K5 with grip. I'm trying to get used to the AF . Think I'm going to enjoy the lens.