Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So no information from Pentax or B&H about what happened?

06-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #32
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
I'm sure Pentax jams a certain amount of product down their throats on a regular basis whether it sells or not
C'mon, really? That's going just a bit too far. How are you "sure" Pentax compels a dealer to order - I'd like to learn that sales and customer relations technique myself.
06-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
C'mon, really? That's going just a bit too far. How are you "sure" Pentax compels a dealer to order - I'd like to learn that sales and customer relations technique myself.
Especially when Pentax has like no leverage...
06-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax with its lack of leverage may not be able to but its normal in other industries (and possibly for companies like nikon and canon) to require a certain number and type of models be stocked and to make a minimum purchase each year or other time interval, otherwise you lose your dealer status. I know the marine industry does this as does manufacturers of lawn tractors and outdoor power equipment (chainsaws, weed whips), I've experienced that first hand. Snowmobiles and ATV's motorcycles and personal watercraft do that for 100% sure. I'm told auto dealers are the same. Scuba gear also.

I would imagine its the same in any industry where you have official dealers unless the company has zero leverage, so Pentax may be unable to do that. Its in the dealer contract you sign when you apply to be a dealer.

06-20-2012, 01:11 AM   #35
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Indeed- in the UK I was speaking to a guy in a local LCE store and he said certain companies require a minimum acquisition per store. The companies he mentioned specifically were Leica (which LCE do stock in some stores, e.g. Bristol) and Fuji (where the one in Winchester stocks the full X range). I don't think he mentioned Pentax, but it's clearly something some companies demand.
06-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #36
Veteran Member

It is standard practice for a distributor to ensure that dealers carry stock and achieve a given sales target. Not any tom, dick and harry retailer can be listed as a dealer unless the said retailer agrees to the terms set out by the distributor. In the photo biz, big companies like Canon and Nikon frequently rebate back a certain additional percentage of the trade allowance to the dealer if the sales target is met or exceeded. So I don't know where people have the idea that a national distributor like Pentax USA or any other distributor has no leverage. Pentax operates not much different than the big two, the difference lies in the scale of operations.
06-20-2012, 06:21 AM   #37

I think there must be a real power struggle going on between Pentax and Ricoh exec. Different philosophies about how to sell gear. We are just seeing the back and forth manifestation of the struggle in the lens prices. Since they were generally low for most years with modest price increases over time, I hope team Pentax wins. I do not think team Ricoh has our happiness factored in to it's grand scheme.
06-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #38
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Establishing minimum annual orders/sales and volume bracket pricing in a Dealer Agreement (the word is, after all, Agreement) differs markedly from compelling a dealer to purchase a certain item at a certain time. It is highly likely PRIAC has established minimums and volume pricing brackets written into its standard Dealer Agreement. I know for a fact they had such structures in the late 90's.

IMHO the most likely reason B&H briefly dropped their prices was to reduce inventory in advance of a major shipment related to the K30 introduction. IMHO this price management was likely done with the tacit approval of PRIAC.

IMHO the second most likely reason (and not very likely in my opinion) was a brief market test with or without the tacit approval of PRIAC.

IIRC Ned openly stated PRIAC plans to run seasonal specials on popular gear (Rebates, Sale Pricing, special kits) and that buyers whjo are price sensistive shuold wait for those specials. He openly stated this is how the other large camera makers price.

Nothing to see here. Move along now. Move along.

I still want to see the big deal "major chain whose primary color is red" new distribution.

06-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I can't believe my eyes when I saw how much Pentax lenses are being sold now.
06-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Who is going to buy those DA* zooms now after what we've seen in the last month? The prices are a joke compared to the competition, and $2k for a 60-250/4 is beyond the pale.
06-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #41
Site Supporter

I sincerely believe that I have purchased my last Pentax lens. My K-5 and K200D are still working fine and I have about a dozen lenses for the system - all Pentax including most of the DA Limiteds. So I can go for literally years while I watch this Pentax saga play itself out. But until it does, I will be purchasing no more Pentax gear. These prices have my eyes glazing over. If my camera bodies act up - and we haven't reached some kind of equilibrium in terms of Pentax products and prices - I will look elsewhere. Meanwhile, I'll save some money in the short run. And I might work on building up my micro four-thirds kit or perhaps experiment with one of Sony's SLTs.
06-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #42
Site Supporter

I'm really confused about what they are doing. I don't see how this makes any kind of sense.
06-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #43
gtl
Veteran Member

I am all set for lenses. Was eyeing the 60-250mm but not anymore I guess. For $2000 the Nikon 70-200mm seems to be a much better buy.
06-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Crazy thing is you could buy a Canon 70-200/4 L IS which is a super sharp lens, and a Canon 60D body, for only slightly more than a Pentax 60-250.
06-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Still $1299 at Prodigital in Canadaor under $1599 anywere else in Canada