Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Holga Lens Review

I would love to know how the sample photos in the Holga lens review were done. I thought that some of the samples other people produced, particularly the view through the holes in a hedge, were remarkable and something I would like to produce. I followed all the instructions with the HL-P lens and then flew by intuition and experience, but failed to produce more than incessant beeping noises from my K-r. I attached the Holga HL-P lens, set the focal length (65mm was the nearest option available) and then struggled to do anything useful. I had no live view and the on-screen menu simply presented me with flashing AV, F- - and ISO settings while beeping interminably. Thing is, I actually got some test results some time ago, but I cannot now remember how I made the K-r play ball with me. I would be sincerely grateful for some practical advice.

06-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you have USING APERTURE RING set to PERMITTED?
06-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html
06-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Aperture Ring

RioRico,

Yes, and I've set the green button to determine the shutter speed in manual mode to, as recomended elsewhere.

My next post may prove to be of interest also.

Kind Regards,.
Painterinlight

06-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Humble pie...

boriscleto,

I read both that and the Robert S Donovan page on the same theme. I would appear to have got the basic principle right. Sadly, my mal-coordination enabled me to set the self timer unawares which explains the beeping. This and one or two other unintended alterations to settings took several hours to figure out but were swiftly dealt with when found.

I don't think I had the lens mounted properly in the first instance and I was shooting against the self timer each time, which I discovered by letting the beeping continue to a conclusion. I've since spent some time going through the process stage by stage, correcting the camera set-up as I went. I was the able to take the first test shots in recent months, thus proving the truth of my suspicions. I have now made a picture (nothing to write here about) but it shows that my errors have been resolved. I learned something about several functions. I am rather arthritic and often defeated by tiny buttons. The "problem" was largely self created, but at least I resolved it in the end.

I like the lens, but then art is in the eye and mind of the maker, it was pretty useless indoors this evening but should be "good" outside in strong light. I was inspired by these toys as a child and their output led to a life long interest in art. Just occasionally, they make something that nothing else can.

I am grateful for both replies, apologies in part, but at least I both figured it out in the end and learned a great deal in the process. I did try to read the manual at first, but was defeated by the breadth and complexity of the "entry level" camera I had just bought. I must admit to being somewhat intimidated by the book and put away the camera for several weeks. I then came to my senses and decided, on the advice of the vendor, to work through the essential in stages. I am still learning what several of my cameras can do ten years or more after they arrived.
07-31-2012, 08:22 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by PainterInLight Quote
I would love to know how the sample photos in the Holga lens review were done. I thought that some of the samples other people produced, particularly the view through the holes in a hedge, were remarkable and something I would like to produce. I followed all the instructions with the HL-P lens and then flew by intuition and experience, but failed to produce more than incessant beeping noises from my K-r. I attached the Holga HL-P lens, set the focal length (65mm was the nearest option available) and then struggled to do anything useful. I had no live view and the on-screen menu simply presented me with flashing AV, F- - and ISO settings while beeping interminably. Thing is, I actually got some test results some time ago, but I cannot now remember how I made the K-r play ball with me. I would be sincerely grateful for some practical advice.
Do you have a link to the post you're referring to? I can't seem to find the review you mentioned and I've been looking to purchase one of these lately, so it would be nice to see photo evidence of what the lens produces.

Thanks!