Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Could/should Pentax ever make a new leaf shutter lens?

Just out of curiosity, what's the possibility that Pentax could develop a new leaf shutter lens? For 645? For K-mount? The other medium format brands offer lenses with leaf shutters. Kowa and Voigtlander had 35mm SLR camera/lens combos with leaf shutters at one time. Fuji has a leaf shutter in their X100.

I hardly know enough to even make an educated guess about this matter but I suppose it'd take more space, could bring down shutter life span, and would be expensive.

Having a couple of leaf shutter lenses for the 645D could potentially steal some business from the other MF makers. I don't think that the 1/125 flash sync speed on the 645D is impressing anyone. If it were possible to have a leaf shutter K-mount lens that could sync at least at 1/500 or even faster, it'd probably attract a lot of strobists. If Pentax were to have a FF body with a high MP count sensor like the D800 and a leaf shutter lens, that combo could bring users over from the other FF brands and MF brands alike.

I'm sure I'm dreaming here but I'd like to hear from someone who has more knowledge than I do explain, or take a guess at, what would make this idea possible or impossible.

Thanks!

06-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Q has flash sync of 1/2000 using lenses with built in shutter...

Probably not what you wanted to hear!
06-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yeah the Q has a standard prime and standard zoom lens with leafshutter and ND filter build in.

Instead of a leaf shutter i actually think its more likely that the mechanical shutter gets replaced by an LCD shutter in the near future.
These shutters are used in some glasses you need to use for 3D tv so the development and production should have gotten a small kick so hopefully we see that soon.
The fastest i could find could "only" do 1/1000 but that's fast enough for me and that's for the whole sensor area so that's your x-sync speed.

Maybe we will see it in the 645D first because the shutter is the cause for a lot of vibration inside the camera.
06-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I'll admit, I've mostly dismissed the Q after seeing the miniature sensor size. Didn't even know about it's two lenses with leaf shutters, certainly a nice feature.

You'd think that with the exorbitant price of the 25mm lens for the 645D it would have a leaf shutter, though at that wide of an angle it might not get used much with flash. Obviously the landscape photographers don't care.

The Schneider leaf shutter lenses for PhaseOne and Mamiya have sync speeds of 1/1600. The Fuji X100 and X10 have the same 1/1600 x-sync but I think there's a limitation at large apertures.

I'd actually prefer to see something like an LCD shutter push the x-sync speed up to or beyond 1/1000. That'd be awesome but most important of all is that it ends up in a Pentax DSLR so I can use it with my lenses!

06-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Maybe new aperture technology might do it.
Most compacts actually use the aperture as the shutter for example but i've never seen it with larger lenses/cameras