Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
Banned

M 85 Lens Hood Recommendations

This is kind of an elementary question, but I just picked up an M85 f2 via ebay and would like to put on a lens hood, as I'm reading in the reviews that one is very recommended.

Can anyone give me some recommendations on which type? I've looked around and tons are out there of different shapes and sizes, so it seems a crapshoot without some prior experience.

Also, if possible, can you provide pics? I'm in Germany, so it would help me to locate the exact one that is recommended.

06-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The original quick release hood should work just fine if you can find one. On a digital body just about any screw in 49mm hood up to one intended for a 135mm f/3.5 should work without vignetting. There's a bit of a trade off between longer hoods offering more flare protection but also making the lens bulkier to handle and store. The 49mm thread Takumar hoods are fairly easy to find in various lengths on the used market.

There's a picture of the original hood (for the 85mm and the 100mm macro) half way down this page: Pentax 100mm f/4 SMC-M
06-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Ingenious = Pentax

A thoughtful additional feature of the original Pentax rigid plastic clip-on hood
(mentioned and linked to in the previous post)
is that it can be mounted on the lens reversed for storage, and a lens cap attached.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 06-11-2012 at 02:05 PM.
06-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
On a digital body just about any screw in 49mm hood up to one intended for a 135mm f/3.5 should work without vignetting.
That's exactly what I'm using...a Pentax rigid metal hood for a 135mm lens.

06-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
Perfect advice and exactly the type of "hidden" things I'm looking for. One of the primary reasons I looked for this specific lens is the compactness when I pack light for trips with my three lenses, so a reversible hood is very advantageous.

I was wondering about the rubber lens hoods, even though they offer fairly minimal protection for the lens, though people I speak to are out on them. Some like them, some not so much, for various reasons.

Last edited by snake; 06-10-2012 at 11:30 AM.
06-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
The original quick release hood should work just fine if you can find one.
I had one that came with a new M100/2.8 when I bought it in 1983.
It didn't last long - one of the little clips fell out.
06-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
I was wondering about the rubber lens hoods, even though they offer fairly minimal protection for the lens, though people I speak to are out on them. Some like them, some not so much, for various reasons.
I like them for a couple of reasons.

The most important is that you just draw them out for use,
no fiddling, so they're immediately ready for unexpected photo ops.

They also give a nice cushioning against minor bumps when extended.

The downside is that the rubber gradually perishes,
so regard them as a consumable item that needs to be replaced over time.
06-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I would recommend you take a look at the Heliopan range of lens hoods, cheap, good and available in nearly all sizes both in rubber and metal.

Contact HELIOPAN-LICHTERFILTER-TECHNIK SUMMER GMBH & CO.KG, D-82154 Gräfelfing / München

Also in Germany

06-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you have a DA40mm, try that lens hood. I got one thrown in with a lens once (FA43 as it happens) and have been happily using it on all lenses over 40mm. Works great and doesn't add bulk.
06-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Another Option?

Hello Snake,
Some good advice so far, if you can find an original clip-on type, that could be the best choice.
If that doesn't work out, I personally don't care for the rubber hoods; Not much real protection. I find the cheap metal screw-on ones from China work much better. I bought a selection of wide, standard and telephoto in 49mm and found this one (see photo) works great on my M85mm, M100 f/2.8 and macro M 100mm f/4.0. The hood on the left is the "Standard" and the one on the right is listed as "Telephoto", that's the size I use. No vignetting at all on the M85.
No, it doesn't slip on backwards, so it adds some bulk. But since it works on 3 different lenses, I don't mind!
Ron
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
06-11-2012, 03:34 AM   #11
Banned

Original Poster
Thanks for the recommendations. Looks like I'll be picking up the longer, screw on type pictured above. Certainly, I'd love to try the hood from the DA40, but these parts seem to be nowhere to be found and Pentax Germany isn't exactly cheap. I'll see if I can try and source a used one, nonetheless.
06-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Cropped sensor...you can use a hood designed for a lens with a focal length = crop factor*85...ie, the 135 Takumar hood will be perfect.
06-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #13
Banned

Original Poster
Thanks, I just got the metal type pictured above. Works fine. storage, as expected, is not the best, but it is what it is. I tried getting Pentax Germany to price me a DA40 hood, no response, as expected.