Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
Forum Member

Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 OS HSM Lens Creep

Howdy. Just bought my K-5 a month ago and have recently upgraded my kit lens to the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4. I debated for awhile between the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and the Sigma 17-70 because they were in my price range.

I've had the Sigma for about a week and I have found the image results to be not what I expected from an update to the kit lens. To add insult to injury, I just tested the lens creep and it looks like whenever I set the length to 50mm and tilt it vertically, it will smoothly drop to 35mm.

The build quality of the Sigma is great but I didn't expect this. Has anyone else experienced this?

06-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The standard cure for zoom creep is a large rubber band, such as can be found on a bundle of broccoli or asparagus at the supermarket. Various guys on eBay sell a fancied-up version of that for a few bucks. Good luck!
06-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had lens creep on my copy, but it was not from pure gravity. If I walk along with the camera pointed down, the constant jolting of my footsteps would cause the lens to creep (sometimes all the way to 70mm). As far as pointing it upwards and it creeping back, I haven't check that with my lens - but I do notice that it is ridiculously easier to zoom to the wide end when pointing up, and zoom to the long end when pointing down.

I have no solution currently for the zoom creep - I almost always hold that lens and my k-x by the lens body (I rarely just let the camera hang on the strap).
06-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The standard cure for zoom creep is a large rubber band, such as can be found on a bundle of broccoli or asparagus at the supermarket. Various guys on eBay sell a fancied-up version of that for a few bucks. Good luck!
I've heard of this solution but for the life of me I can't fathom out where to put the rubber band.

(probably be one of those palm slaps to my head when I learn where the band goes!)

My Tamron 28-75 creeps as well.

06-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
I've heard of this solution but for the life of me I can't fathom out where to put the rubber band.

(probably be one of those palm slaps to my head when I learn where the band goes!)

My Tamron 28-75 creeps as well.
I did this solution with my old FA 100-300. You put the rubberband where the zoom ring and the body meets. What this does is the rubberband provides friction for the zoom ring. That small amount of friction can prevent lens creep, but will not restrict zooming.

Only thing is that the Sigma 17-70's zoom is very nicely damped, so that extra resistance my become annoying.
06-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I did this solution with my old FA 100-300. You put the rubberband where the zoom ring and the body meets. What this does is the rubberband provides friction for the zoom ring. That small amount of friction can prevent lens creep, but will not restrict zooming.

Only thing is that the Sigma 17-70's zoom is very nicely damped, so that extra resistance my become annoying.
Ahh, thank you.

It wasn't a palm slapping moment because I didn't have a clue.

Now off to raid the vegetable collection and see if any of them have a rubber band otherwise it's off to the grocery store to buy some veggies with bands.