Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
SR works with my Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 on my K-7 and K10d. CA correction and Distortion correction options don't work.

06-12-2012, 01:35 AM   #17

Thanks for clarifying this. All I can usefully reiterate is that the stabilisation doesn't work at all with my own Sigma 10-20mm f3.5. Neither Pentax nor Sigma have made any promises to the contrary, but clearly the original poster has had his expectations raised somewhere along the line.
06-12-2012, 02:32 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Shea Quote
All I can usefully reiterate is that the stabilisation doesn't work at all with my own Sigma 10-20mm f3.5.
How do you know that it doesn't work?
Have you looked at the EXIF data? What do the fields about stabilisation say?

I have a Sigma 10-20/3.5 and SR works with my K100D. Focal length is correctly reported to the camera. It is a great copy and I tremendously enjoy shooting with this lens.

Your quote from the manual is irrelevant. In a similar vein, other posters have claimed that only Pentax lenses support matrix metering, based on their same misinterpretation of the manual. Once a poster checked their EXIF data, it showed metering values for all 77 zones. With a third-party lens. Of course.

All third-party lenses which implement a DA, FA, F, FA J, etc. protocol support both matrix metering and shake reduction.

The only limitation for third-party lenses is that in-body lens correction is not available, but this feature is useful for JPG shooting only and will slow down shooting. I don't regard that as a limitation.

Pentax obviously does not acknowledge the existence of third-party products in their manuals and may even speculate that their information will be misinterpreted.
06-12-2012, 02:37 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I've read of problems with some 3rd-party glass. We take our chances.
And I've read of problems with Pentax lenses. Many problems, actually.

Fact is that the vast majority do not apply the rigour required to single out "sloppy lens implementation" as the cause of an issue.

You can quote such reports but much more often than not, they don't mean anything.

I have a mixture of Pentax and third-party lenses. Why not pick the best option? There is no reason to be any more afraid of third-party glass than of Pentax glass in general.

06-12-2012, 04:46 AM   #20

Original Poster
To Michael Shea & other posters

Thanks for pointing this out as a potential problem. I will DEFINITELY look into this before deciding whether to keep the K5. Not only were my expectations raised but the SR is pivotal to my choice of the K5..especially with this lens. The primary reason I didn't invest in a K5 earlier - and why I'm also keeping the D7000 for now - is that the Nikon system has a much wider choice of lenses than the Pentax. Certainly for my purposes anyway. The Sigma I found was the only suitable wide for the Pentax (taking ALL factors into account). That's compared to a selection of about five for Nikon

For example at 12-24 the only Pentax option is hardly stocked anywhere in the UK , has high CA (albeit is otherwise optically excellent) & is now very expensive, having shot up 33% in the last couple of months. It's now about the same price as the Nikon which is just as sharp without such high CA. The Tokina Nikon fit is optically equivalent to the Pentax but much cheaper. These two lenses are also readily available used - unlike the Pentax. That's just one example

BUT.. none of the Nikon fit lenses are stabilized. Hence the importance of the SR to me.

Regarding the recent lens price increases. I wonder if Pentax have decided to commit commercial suicide. The new prices of some of these lenses seem ridiculous. An example : the DA 16-50. It's now roughly the same as a Nikon full frame wide (stabilized) in the UK. I didn't think it was a good buy at the old price. (I thought it was too big & heavy & its optics didn't justify its even then high cost) & Now....

I actually seriously wonder if Pentax will still be around in 10 Years.

At least the K5 itself is a bargain now with cashback & the Sigma is reasonably priced

Anyway that wasn't the point of this post but just felt like saying it anyway!
06-12-2012, 04:51 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sdgreen Quote
Thanks for pointing this out as a potential problem.
You shouldn't thank someone for misinforming you.

I'm sorry for the harsh words, but there is no "potential problem".
06-12-2012, 05:02 AM   #22

Original Poster
Phew.. I'm relieved!

I've just phoned one of the main Pentax / Sigma dealers in the UK & they say they haven't heard of any problem...if anyone would have had feedback about this it would be them. (I don't know if I'm allowed to quote dealers names on here).
Re Calsan: they did mention that the lens correction feature does work but not as effectvely as with Pentax lenses. I'm not too bothered about that. It's unfortunate that DxO don't have a correction module for this combination though

Re Michael Shea. How do you know the SR isn't working? Is there some indication from the camera or are you not getting sharp photos? if it's the latter maybe you've got one of these so-called 'bad copies'?

Last edited by sdgreen; 06-12-2012 at 05:07 AM. Reason: additional info
06-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I am surprised Michael says SR won't work on his 10-20. All the lens has to do is pass on the focal length information. If it cannot do this, the camera asks for it to be input manually. So it ought to be relatively fail-safe, unless the lens is passing on totally wrong focal length data...

I've certainly had no problem on my 10-20 f4-5.6, down to 1/8 handheld...

06-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

The SR obviously works just fine with my K-5 and my Sigma 10-20/3.5, I just tested it. Sharp shots at 1/6 with SR on, blurry with it off.

The only modern lens I've had a problem with in this regard is my Tamron 28-75/2.8, which reports reasonably accurate focal lengths at the short end, but reports 38mm (IIRC) at the long end, which makes SR quite ineffective. But it works on everything else I have, regardless of make, and this looks much more like a broken contact brush in my particular lens than any problem with the model in general.
06-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the 10-20 f/4-5.6, love it. CA is lower then the 3.5. For star bursts the DA15 Ltd would be my choice.
06-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #26

Original Poster
This is all good news. Sounds like the K5 + 10-20 4-5.6 will do what I want it do

Thanks to all
06-13-2012, 01:46 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
I have the 10-20 f/4-5.6, love it. CA is lower then the 3.5. For star bursts the DA15 Ltd would be my choice.
What he said. DA15's on my wish list.

To clarify:
Put the lens on, hold down shutter half way to auto focus. Little green hand icon appears in the viewfinder. QED: Shake reduction is working.
Works with my Sigma 17-70 and most definitely worked with my 70-300 when I had that lens, or I would have blurred 3/4 of my shots.

As for the lens aberration correction, that only works on Pentax DA lenses and the 'three amigo' FA limiteds 31,43 and 77. You can confirm this because the option on the rear LCD is dimmed when in jpeg mode if your lens isn't supported. I don't use it that often anyway... even with my compatible lenses. It's not needed on the Sigma 10-20 because it's a quality bit of kit and the distortion is not noticeable unless your subject is graph paper.
06-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #28
Pentaxian

My wife has the 10-20 4.5 - 5.6 and I think it is a great lens. We already had 77mm filters for large format lenses plus later got the 70-200 2.8 Sigma so with step up rings all our larger lenses use the same filters. Of course filters for B&W are not needed for this but one set of filters is a huge savings in dollars and bulk. Any larger of a lens would not fit into several of our bags without leaving taking the width of two lenses.

Am thinking of the DA15 for myself based on its size and interesting a poster here says it is sharper and others say the Sigmas are.

I have never felt a problem with no SR using either of the Sigma lenses, the K10D and K-r both show it in effect. SR even works on my home made pinhole made out of a Nikon body cap (which locks into the Pentax better than the Nikon D200) and the camera asks for the focal length of the lens cap (45mm is the closest)