Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Problem with DA* 55mm f/1.4

I bought this lens to be my weather-sealed solution, but I've had problems with it.

First, it front-focused terribly. I finally sent it to Pentax for servicing under warranty and that was fixed. Now it focuses accurately. It's a great lens when it performs right!

However, now I'm having issues where it doesn't always focus at infinity, or near infinity. In auto-focus mode, it just won't lock focus on very distant objects. It doesn't always happen, and I can't figure out exactly what circumstances cause it, but it's annoying! I'm actually considering selling it as "broken" for a very low cost just to be done with it.

Anyone have similar experience with this lens not focusing accurately at infinity or near infinity?

Here's an example of why I'd like the lens to work right! I took this photo very quickly in very very very little light. It was DARK.

06-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
However, now I'm having issues where it doesn't always focus at infinity, or near infinity. In auto-focus mode, it just won't lock focus on very distant objects.
It can happen if the target is unifromly colored (like sky). You need to have some details on it. Or AF won't "see" anything to focus on.

This a good lens but a capricious one !
06-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Well I don't use for far distance, had some issues with it also. I think it is a lens for closer distance, portrait and stuff. Great picture, use it for such things I would say.
06-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently took some landscapes with mine for the first time and had no issues with focusing. I agree it's more of a lens for portraits and bokeh, but it does work well for landscapes, too. If it won't focus at a distance, something is wrong.

06-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter

My copy, which I purchased used, back-focused beyond the adjustability of my K-5. I sent it to Pentax Canada who adjusted it without charge. However, when I got it back it would autofocus accurately, but would no longer focus to infinity either via AF or manually. It went back to Pentax Canada who replaced some internals for a $200 fee. The lens now focuses accurately, reaches infinity, but it has picked up a couple of stiff spots in the arc of the focusing ring. For now I'm content that it works accurately, hoping that the stiffness might eventually become unnoticeable.
06-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I'm not really sure what to do because I really don't have the money to have it fixed right now (and I'm JUST out of warranty - figures!). I'd also hate to send it in and have them fix the infinity thing only to have it back-or-front focusing again, since it's finally spot-on. Dilemma.