Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
2) Calculating magnification from focal length and distance: M = F/(D-F) where M is magnification, F is lens focal length, and D is subject-lens distance.
So if at 35mm my lens can focus on a piece of paper about 1397mm away (5.5") then my magnification is .026 or 1:4
.026=35mm/(1397mm-35mm)
Wheras a true macro lens is .5 (2:1) and a good one is 1 (1:1)

I guess all I needed was the math to clear things up, thats a first.

That would make my ideal macro lens this one: SMC Pentax-A 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database odd that it costs way more than the new WR FA model.

I do have to work on my technique but please don't rate the pics provided, they were 10 second planning snap shots just to give a vague idea of distance for an example. Plus I never buy training wheels, every single time I don't learn on the higher quality or pro model of something it turns out I outgrow it in a week.

Thanks all.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 06-12-2012 at 02:53 PM.
06-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought I knew what macro was with my Sigma 70-300, after I got my Tamron 90 macro , I decided I didn't really know much of anything. AN d if you look at the work of some of the guys on here, I've pretty much decided I'll never know anything. If you're over 50 I suggest auto-focus, the old eyes just don't focus so good anymore.
06-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
A given magnification (e.g. 1:1) gives the same result regardless of focal length. That's what I think he was asking. I also explained the relationship of working distance to focal length.
Yes, we can (theoretically) reach any given magnification, using any given focal length, at the right distance. I say 'theoretically' because reality intrudes upon very short lenses on our (d)SLRs. I *could* put 16mm of extension on my Zenitar 16/2.8 and *theoretically* reach 1:1. Alas, the focus distance would put the subject INSIDE the lens. Talk about bad scratches...

Working distance vs focal length breaks down this way with our (d)SLRs:

* Use a 28mm or 35mm lens either if the studio space is very small, or if we want to shoot fairly close without great magnification. A 28mm close-focus lens that reaches about 1:3.5 is great for objects down to about 13cm / 5in wide. A 35mm lens that reaches 1:1 can work (real close!) a subject about 24mm / 1in wide.

* Use a 40mm or 50mm or 60mm lens when you have or need a little more space. My MacTak 50/4(1x) also works subjects about 24mm / 1in wide, but from slightly further away. Hay, the frame is about 24mm and it's 1:1; sure, a 24mm subject fills the sensor! I consider my 40mm and 50mm macros as indoor, studio lenses.

* Use a 90mm or 100-105mm len s for even more space. Use a 150mm or 200mm for even MORE working distance. Longer than that, it gets clumsy. I don't dare put my P.Navitar 254/4.5 on 500mm extension for 1:1! Lenses of 90mm or longer are usually considered outdoor "in the field" glass. Don't scare the mantids.

Have I wandered too far afield here? Rein me in.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you're over 50 I suggest auto-focus, the old eyes just don't focus so good anymore.
Ah, but AF might not focus on the point YOU want it to. Damn robots...
06-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And a reminder that at some point it's much easier to attain focus by moving the camera (scrooching a l'il bit?) rather than twisting the lens. And catch-in-focus may be an option too.

06-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
BTW, the Promaster that GibbyTheMole mentions looks exactly like the Vivitar, which also has a Cosina incarnation.
Yep. Forgot to mention that. There's also a Phoenix version. I also forgot to mention the AF version was also sold as the Pentax SMC FA 100mm f/3.5 macro lens. The manual focus version is optically identical, but built a bit better, with smooth manual focusing, which I prefer.
06-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
At least one that costs less than my truck?
I see a clone of my Sigma 50/2.8 macro for under $250 - but I've never seen your truck
I really like this lens both for its macro abilities and because other than speed it's a really excellent 50mm lens. Focus limiter when you want it, aperture ring too. Oh yes, and full-frame friendly. It may not be your bowl of porridge, but I'm with Goldilocks on this lens - just right.

But if you're happy with your current setup, I'd hate to destabilize your kit. I do that often enough with mine, that's enough for me..
06-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Short Version

Would a real macro lens improve much on what I have?
Yes.

06-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Shot many and shot more of the same. Perhaps one should be fine?
06-13-2012, 05:34 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Shot many and shot more of the same. Perhaps one should be fine?
That's my approach. And quite often I end up with 80% keepers and can select the best composition rather than going for one shot. I usually set the lens to it's focus point and then back out a tiny bit to be as close to 1:1 as possible.

Tamron 90 2.8 macro (capable of 1:1)

Sigma 70-300 macro ( capable of 1:2. ) While not nearly as good a lens, the Sigma can be picked up second hand for $100.