Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Super Takumar vs SMC Takumar

Hi guys,

I have a simple question, lets say for example there are two lenses a Super takumar and a SMC takumar how do they compare?

I know that the SMC is multicoated and will handle flare better compared to the Super Takumar. But in terms of other features how do they differ.

Sharpness? Since they are optically the same they should be equal in sharpness?
Colour reproduction? I am assume that since the one is multicoated and the other is single coated that the SMC will produce more vibrant colours?

Any help would be appreciated. I've owned Super Taks and SMCs but none are the same lenses so I can't do a direct comparison but I noticed that the SMC seems to give great colour all the time but on the Super Taks occasionally they give vibrant colour while other times they seem dull.

06-13-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The SMCs improve contrast. The Super Taks give vibrant colors only occasionally, because they are not protected against light that reduces contrast. It's only when the source of light is behind you that a Super Tak's contrast is optimal.

Sharpness is about the same.
06-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

AFAIK the only difference is the improved coating. Note that are Super and S-M-C and SMC Takumars, with the latter being very similar to SMC (K) PK lenses. A glance through the Pentax M42 database will show where are optical differences.
06-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are some other differences than coatings, as rio suggests, with optical formulas. The most notable and highly debated of these is the difference between the early super tak 50mmF1.4 which has 8 elements, and all other Pentax 50/1.4 lenses which have 7

06-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter

The coatings on the Super Taks are still not bad for the era. The use of a hood will help minimize possible issues with light. As mentioned, there are some Super Taks and previous Taks as well with some differing and interesting optical arrangements and formulae that weren't made during the S-M-C/SMC era.
06-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes I do know not all SupTak and SMC are the same optical formula but if they are the same should I expect the same sharpness in both lenses with very minor deviation due to construction?
06-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
Yes I do know not all SupTak and SMC are the same optical formula but if they are the same should I expect the same sharpness in both lenses with very minor deviation due to construction?
Should be. But see the lens reviews for specifics.
06-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The coatings on the Super Taks are still not bad for the era. The use of a hood will help minimize possible issues with light. As mentioned, there are some Super Taks and previous Taks as well with some differing and interesting optical arrangements and formulae that weren't made during the S-M-C/SMC era.
What he said. I have both Super-Tak 55/1.8 and Pentax-K 55/1.8 and the rendering is very, very similar when both are shot with hoods attached.

Steve

(...who never leaves home without his hood...)

06-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Steve

(...who never leaves home without his hood...)
I never leave home without my armored hoodie:

06-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
06-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Yeah, I thought the reflectivity of a single coated lens is about 1% vs 5% of an uncoated...there is a figure in the Manual of Photography, p70, of the effects of increasing coatings on reflectivity. Does the multicoating really make a big difference?

Interestingly, the multicoating has differing levels of reflectivity vs wavelength, whereas single coating is a flat line vs wavelength. From this it can be assumed that veracity of colour is better for a single coated lens, but contrast is better for a multicoated lens.

Another point is that some Super-Takumars are apparently multi-coated...
Die Cast Pro - Super Takumar 135mm f/2.5 with Super-Multi-Coating Index

I've got a Minolta CE 50/2.8 enlarging lens which is reputed to be one of the sharpest available, and its accompanying slip says its single coated. In side by side prints vs a multicoated Nikkor 50/2.8, the Minolta appears to have the edge in contrast.
06-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I saw this 2 days ago and I am so tempted to buy it.
06-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Personally, I am interested in old lenses for getting distinctive rendering, so I always prefer less coatings to more modern ones. YMMV.

I have the two versions of the Super Takumar (never looked for an S-M-C or an SMC). They are very close, but the earlier Super has a slightly more distinctive rendering - the second version renders closer to a modern lens and I expect the SMC ones are even more so. For modern performance, I use the Voigtlander Nokton.

BTW, this topic has also been discussed on PF in the past here.
06-15-2012, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Personally, I am interested in old lenses for getting distinctive rendering, so I always prefer less coatings to more modern ones. YMMV.
I just read somewhere that single-coatings give more accurate color rendition, and multi-coatings give better contrast via better flare resistance and light transmission. I put it as: older non-MC lenses give a more 'period' feel. For instance, my single-coated Enna Tele-Ennalyt 135/3.5 gives images a more 'Agfacolor' look than my S-M-C Takumar 135/3.5. Modern optical corrections also seem to give a more uniform look than older simpler glass. This is important when using multiple lenses for vids. But I like distinctions.