Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Zeiss Macro 50mm f/2 ZK Macro-Planar T* vs Pentax-A 50mm Macro

Has anyone shot these two lenses? I know the price is extremely different between the two, but I'm looking for a high quality 50mm close focus lens for my manual film cameras. Thoughts appreciated.
Thanks,

06-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
Zav
Pentaxian

Have you considered the Pentax DFA 50 macro f2.8? One of the sharpest lens ever made by Pentax I have heard. And it still has an aperture ring. 450USD at BH photo video.
06-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Have you considered the Pentax DFA 50 macro f2.8? One of the sharpest lens ever made by Pentax I have heard. And it still has an aperture ring. 450USD at BH photo video.
Interesting, I had not considered an auto focus lens. Does anyone know what the manual focus is like on this lens? Most auto focus lenses don't do so well with manual focus, but since this is a macro, maybe it's better in that regard. How does it compare IQ wise to the two lens I originally asked about?
Thanks,
06-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #4

DFA 50 have large focus ring and pretty smooth manual focusing, not like M lenses but very good, also have quickshift, and that works like charm, autofocus than focus on what You want, also can prefocus if You shot portraits etc.

06-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Barbarosa Quote
DFA 50 have large focus ring and pretty smooth manual focusing, not like M lenses but very good, also have quickshift, and that works like charm, autofocus than focus on what You want, also can prefocus if You shot portraits etc.
I looked through the Pentax reviews and it does look like manual focus on this is pretty good. I also found one account that said this lens is optically better than the 'A' 50mm macro. Added benefits of the D-FA over the Zeiss would be filter size (I already have 49mm filters) and autofocus when using the K-5. The downside is the D-FA is plastic and not truly a manual lens, but I'm not sure the Zeiss is worth $778.00 more.
06-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #6

I use DFA50 macro on daily basis, with tent box for products, walk around macro portrait, and macro with sigma em 140 flash. I have no complains on build or on image quality .
One interesting observation, when use ring flash on it, 1:1 macro requires short distance, so large sigma ring flash is relatively huge to subject and that gives soft light, softer than shooting with 100mm.
500px / Emir Hozic / Photos last couple macros are with this combination.
06-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have the Zeiss and can attest to it's greatness, especially since you have called it "close-focusing" and not macro. Since it will "only" do 2:1, many take issue with it being called a macro. I couldn't care less as that didn't factor into my reasons for buying it. Not familiar with the A 50, but the DFA 50 is indeed also superb. It really comes down to personal preference. Neither would be a wrong choice, but you obviously have to put a high value on what the Zeiss brings to the table (unique, intense colors and a user-experience that cannot be matched by the others), given the price difference. I do, and consider my ZK's to be off-limits as far as future sales go.
06-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kbrede Quote
I looked through the Pentax reviews and it does look like manual focus on this is pretty good. I also found one account that said this lens is optically better than the 'A' 50mm macro. Added benefits of the D-FA over the Zeiss would be filter size (I already have 49mm filters) and autofocus when using the K-5. The downside is the D-FA is plastic and not truly a manual lens, but I'm not sure the Zeiss is worth $778.00 more.
The DFA 100mm WR is better in that regards but different lens and although it covers FF it does not have an aperture so it won't work on all film cameras.

06-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
MJL
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The A of course

I used both. ZK is a superb "all around" lens to me when 1:1 is not required. But if you need to do 1:1 (copying slides) or even go magnifying (insects) with extension tubes or converters, the ZK will lost out. It's IQ suffer drastically when coupled with such extenders. The A50 is way harder to focus on dSLRs due to f/2.8, but much more portable than ZK.

You will save a lot of money with the A50 unless you need to shot below f/2.8 often. The ZK is amazingly sharp even wide open.

Last edited by MJL; 06-13-2012 at 12:26 PM.
06-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I have the Zeiss and can attest to it's greatness, especially since you have called it "close-focusing" and not macro. Since it will "only" do 2:1, many take issue with it being called a macro.
Pentax 50mm manual-focus macro lenses are all 1:2. It wasn't until the AF macro lenses that Pentax did 1:1 at 50mm.
06-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Pentax 50mm manual-focus macro lenses are all 1:2. It wasn't until the AF macro lenses that Pentax did 1:1 at 50mm.
..except the M42 50/4 macro..
06-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I have the Zeiss and can attest to it's greatness, especially since you have called it "close-focusing" and not macro. Since it will "only" do 2:1, many take issue with it being called a macro.
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by bhairavp Quote
..except the M42 50/4 macro..
Which is a very fine lens! Except that the focus throw from 1m to infinity is painfully short, maybe 10 degrees, so focusing at distance can be iffy.

I have a shorter older macro, the Exakta-mount (adapted for PK) Kilfitt Makro Kilar E 40/3.5, which was reputedly the first 'macro' lens for SLRs. (Made in Lichtenstein, wow!) It goes to 1:2. Since the very first 'macro' lens was 1:2, I think we can accept that as a cut-off. Anything 1:3-1:10 is definitely close-focus, not macro IMHO. But of course 'macro' is sexier and uses less ink than 'close-focus'.
07-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
Forum Member

I use the M 50 macro 4/f for film and digital. It is so sharp it verges on brutal as a portrait lens. I also like manual focus over auto when you get close. I have the DA 35 macro and have had to send it to repair the autofocus system. I think it is because the auto would take over when I focused on close subjects and I would "argue" with the point I was interested in having in focus. Apparently it loosened some screws. The lens was fixed and I got it back from CRS two months later.
07-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
But if you need to do 1:1 (copying slides)
Copying 35mm slides to APS-C is 1:1.5.