Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #16
Pentaxian
liukaitc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,005
That sounds cool!!!

06-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #17
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 34
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
His website says lenses 24mm to 500mm. Maybe his equipment won't work with such a wide angle lens?

How about saying: you don't think the glass inside is aligned properly, because when you look at the photos, one side of the picture is blurrier than the other.
Thanks for the advice. Sent something to that affect, described the problem included a link and a picture, and asked about if he deals with that focal length, but he just keeps on saying the same one sentence, "I'll take a look at it and see what happening." Maybe he hasn't fixed a decentered lens before? I don't know. Or maybe I'll just send it to Pentax. I wonder what the price difference is between Pentax and a small business. Any other recommendations for outfits in the US? Or in Seattle?
06-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #18
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
QuoteOriginally posted by sahale Quote
Sent something to that affect, described the problem included a link and a picture, and asked about if he deals with that focal length, but he just keeps on saying the same one sentence, "I'll take a look at it and see what happening."
He means what he says, and doesn't make promises he can't deliver on.
My advice would be to let him examine the lens.
If he is able to repair it, he will.
06-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,166
QuoteOriginally posted by sahale Quote
Thanks for the advice. Sent something to that affect, described the problem included a link and a picture, and asked about if he deals with that focal length, but he just keeps on saying the same one sentence, "I'll take a look at it and see what happening." Maybe he hasn't fixed a decentered lens before? I don't know. Or maybe I'll just send it to Pentax. I wonder what the price difference is between Pentax and a small business. Any other recommendations for outfits in the US? Or in Seattle?
Eric is a retired Pentax Technician, and his prices are as low or lower than anything you will find. I've yet to read a bad word about the man. now fixing a DA21 may be a little different but it really won't be wildly different. if it's past warranty it's worth him having a look, If he can't fix it he'll tell you up front and won't give you the runaround and jack you for a ton of money like some dealers. Guys like him are hard to find now, used to be every city had a few

06-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #20
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Highland Park, IL
Posts: 211
QuoteOriginally posted by sahale Quote
but he just keeps on saying the same one sentence, "I'll take a look at it and see what happening."
As with most repairs technical, he's simply taking a prudent approach. With technical repairs of any type of gear, it's best to have a first-hand look at the item before making any statements about what the problem is, whether one can fix it, what it might cost, etc. User descriptions and sample photos typically don't tell a sufficiently complete (or, at times, sufficiently accurate) story, so the only way to know for sure whether or not he may fix it is to have a look first hand.

FWIW, I've dealt with Eric once before and had an excellent experience. Highly recommended. Not affiliated in any way, just a happy customer.
06-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #21
Pentaxian
liukaitc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,005
maybe he is not expert with auto-focus lens? especially SDM lens?
apperantly SDM lens appears after he retired..

Last edited by liukaitc; 06-16-2012 at 09:10 AM.
06-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #22
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,474
QuoteOriginally posted by sahale Quote
Sent something to that affect, described the problem included a link and a picture, and asked about if he deals with that focal length, but he just keeps on saying the same one sentence, "I'll take a look at it and see what happening." Maybe he hasn't fixed a decentered lens before? I don't know.
QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
maybe he is not expert with auto-focus lens? especially SDM lens?
And other responders unfamiliar with Eric:

Read page 4 of his website, "Estimating". What he is saying is what he is saying - he'll diagnose the problem, send you the diagnosis and repair estimate. If you send him the money he'll fix it. If you don't he'll send your lens back to you.

Pretty simple, really. Maybe so simple, in today's world, that people can't understand it.
06-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #23
Junior Member
ticoun's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 43
QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
A clean and focus is $15. To clean oil off blades, clean and focus: $38.

To rebuild my 44k-4 he charged $55.

$13 shipping for 3 lenses and one asahi k2 body.
Wow, I thought he was charging a lot more! Then I have to send him my M 50mm f/1.4 to clean the aperture blades.

06-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #24
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 34
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
And other responders unfamiliar with Eric:

Read page 4 of his website, "Estimating". What he is saying is what he is saying - he'll diagnose the problem, send you the diagnosis and repair estimate. If you send him the money he'll fix it. If you don't he'll send your lens back to you.

Pretty simple, really. Maybe so simple, in today's world, that people can't understand it.
Huh? I asked him specifically if he deals with that lens and he didn't really answer the question. According to his website he deals with lenses from 24-500mm so I wasn't sure if he would fix it or has any familarity with the lens. He gave a very nebulous response. In any case he seems to have great reviews and seems to be a good guy so I'm going to send my lens to him anyways.
06-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,166
QuoteOriginally posted by sahale Quote
Huh? I asked him specifically if he deals with that lens and he didn't really answer the question. According to his website he deals with lenses from 24-500mm so I wasn't sure if he would fix it or has any familarity with the lens. He gave a very nebulous response. In any case he seems to have great reviews and seems to be a good guy so I'm going to send my lens to him anyways.
mostly for a guy with his experience he should be able to deal with any lens, but it is safer to say he needs to see it first when it is one he hasn't had on the bench before.

actual lens design beyond the AF aspects hasn't changed wildly over the years.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
eric, focus, k-mount, lens, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I get this lens serviced? Verglace Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 02-05-2012 02:16 AM
best place to get my lx serviced m3vwg Pentax Film SLR Discussion 4 12-23-2011 04:57 AM
Getting lenses serviced Vantage-Point Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 04-25-2011 10:07 PM
Should I get this Asahi Pentax KM serviced? geekette Pentax Film SLR Discussion 8 04-24-2011 07:00 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:47 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top