Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Ok, and everything works fine with a different lens?

Does it seem like the images are saved when you take them, but they just aren't there afterward, or what happens?

06-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #17
Ali
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah, everything is fine with other lenses, and even with this lens in Av mode. But in M mode, no picture ever gets taken even though the shutter fires over a period of a few seconds...

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Ok, and everything works fine with a different lens?

Does it seem like the images are saved when you take them, but they just aren't there afterward, or what happens?
06-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And you say it started this after it was sent in for cleaning? Sounds like the aperture lever is not right. Take it back to where you had it cleaned and let them check it out.
06-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Just to clarify: You sent the lens (SMC-M 50/1.4) for cleaning, when it comes back it works in Av but not in M (exactly the opposite of what should happen)? Is it even remotely possible that the lens mount acts as an aperture contact? Could you check the EXIF of any saved picture please?

edit: I wrote 1.7 instead of 1.4

Last edited by Giklab; 06-14-2012 at 10:09 PM.
06-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #20
Ali
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah bluestinger, first thing tomorrow morning..Hopefully it wud only need a minor little tweek. The optics on the lens itself are beautiful - no fungus, no scratches, and now no dust. I notice that when i half screw the lens into the body, the aperture ring stays steady, and it then allows me to use M mode and take pics. When I screw it all the way in though, the iris opens all the way up to 1.4 and M mode becomes inaccessible. So, ure probably right, something is amiss with the aperture ring....

QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
And you say it started this after it was sent in for cleaning? Sounds like the aperture lever is not right. Take it back to where you had it cleaned and let them check it out.
06-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ali Quote
Yeah bluestinger, first thing tomorrow morning..Hopefully it wud only need a minor little tweek. The optics on the lens itself are beautiful - no fungus, no scratches, and now no dust. I notice that when i half screw the lens into the body, the aperture ring stays steady, and it then allows me to use M mode and take pics. When I screw it all the way in though, the iris opens all the way up to 1.4 and M mode becomes inaccessible. So, ure probably right, something is amiss with the aperture ring....
It is supposed to do that. It should stay wide-open all the time on the camera expect when metering (green button) and when actually firing. Green button should be set to "set shutter speed", if you set the aperture to f22 and hit the green button (while in M mode), you should see the viewfinder visibly darken, and the shutter speed will be adjusted for proper exposure at that aperture.
06-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #22
Ali
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thats what the green button is set for, but the viewfinder never darkens. It stays the same for all apertures, and the shutter speed also stays the same for all apertures, ie the one corresponding to f1.4. The green button itself meters ok, sets the desired shutter speed e.g. 1/6 sec, but when i press the shutter, the speed changes in the viewfinder, it takes a second or two for the shutter to "take the pic" which never materialises....

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
It is supposed to do that. It should stay wide-open all the time on the camera expect when metering (green button) and when actually firing. Green button should be set to "set shutter speed", if you set the aperture to f22 and hit the green button (while in M mode), you should see the viewfinder visibly darken, and the shutter speed will be adjusted for proper exposure at that aperture.
06-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Thats what the green button is set for, but the viewfinder never darkens. It stays the same for all apertures, and the shutter speed also stays the same for all apertures, ie the one corresponding to f1.4. The green button itself meters ok, sets the desired shutter speed e.g. 1/6 sec, but when i press the shutter, the speed changes in the viewfinder, it takes a second or two for the shutter to "take the pic" which never materialises....
Do you hear the aperture level *trying* to stop it down? Should make a little noise...

06-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #24
Pentaxian

You can ignore my previous post, I second the suggestion of taking it back.
06-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #25
Ali
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
You can ignore my previous post, I second the suggestion of taking it back.
Sorry Giklab, I somehow missed your first comment altogether....
06-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #26
Ali
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Dear All, thanks a lot for all of your helpful replies. I took the lens in today, and it was indeed the aperture ring inside the lens which had not properly been placed. It's a relief I have successfully protected my 4 dollar investment; the lens is working just fine now, and sanity has returned to the universe. Now to take some photos. By the by Eddie, you are right, the lens is quite horrible.....it somehow takes pics in extremely low light when all I want is a shadowy fudge to show up on my sd card...
06-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dear All, thanks a lot for all of your helpful replies. I took the lens in today, and it was indeed the aperture ring inside the lens which had not properly been placed. It's a relief I have successfully protected my 4 dollar investment; the lens is working just fine now, and sanity has returned to the universe. Now to take some photos. By the by Eddie, you are right, the lens is quite horrible.....it somehow takes pics in extremely low light when all I want is a shadowy fudge to show up on my sd card...
yep i'm big on my 1.4 tak for the same reason , in K mount i am limited to 1.7
06-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #28
Ali
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
yep i'm big on my 1.4 tak for the same reason , in K mount i am limited to 1.7
Eddie, I have an A50mm f1.7 as well - always thought it was a fantastic lens. Some people prefer it over the M1.4, whereas a few prefer the 1.4's bokeh. I just wanted to see what all the debate was about. Luckily, got it for a bargain and a half...
06-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Sorry Giklab, I somehow missed your first comment altogether....
It's OK, I derped anyway.