Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Inactive Account

M50mm f1.4 lens - Advise Needed !!

Hi all,

After reading some great reviews of the captioned lens, I could not pass up the opportunity of buying one for 4 dollars. I took a couple of sample shots from it in M mode, and then gave the lens in or cleaning, as it was quite dusty. Upon getting it back, I notice that I cant take pics with it in M mode, but it works fine in Aperture Priority...!! However, it is not working on any shutter speed I select in M mode, and once the shutter releases, no images are saved to the memory card...

Can anyone tell me what went wrong? Any remedies?? Thanks for your replies..

06-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hold the lens. Set the aperture to f/8 or f/11 or f/16. Push the aperture link lever. Does the iris close?
06-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
Ali
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply RioRico. Yes indeed, the iris closes up when i open the aperture up...
06-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Horrible lens, I'll send you the $4 plus postage and you can ship it to me for disposal I'm a certified lens disposal expert ;P

To answer your question though

If it is attached fully then the method for shooting in M mode is

focus on the subject
set desired aperture
press the green button to meter/set shutter
shoot
under f 5 or so it will probably under expose around 1/3-1/5 a stop so you can just leave the EV set to compensate, over f 5.6 it does the opposite

If the aperture isn't stopping down properly it may be sticky. opening and closing frequently can sometime clear that up

otherwise read this thread for more info

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html

06-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
Ali
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Eddie for the reply...now I know how to recycle my lenses.. Yes I have read these great articles, and despite the fact that the camera meters when i push the green button, the shutter speed changes when I take the actual shot. Once the shutter is fully depressed, no images get taken. However, in Av mode, the camera meters itself to the exact same exposure as the green button in M mode. Somehow, its working great on Av mode, even though its an M lens and should not be doing so....
06-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Ali Quote
Thanks Eddie for the reply...now I know how to recycle my lenses.. Yes I have read these great articles, and despite the fact that the camera meters when i push the green button, the shutter speed changes when I take the actual shot. Once the shutter is fully depressed, no images get taken. However, in Av mode, the camera meters itself to the exact same exposure as the green button in M mode. Somehow, its working great on Av mode, even though its an M lens and should not be doing so....
What autofocus setting are you using? If you're using AF-S, it will wait for a focus lock (green hexagon in the viewfinder) to take a picture. Try switching to MF (or AF-C) if you're in AF-S.

When you change your aperture on the lens while in Av mode, does the exposure time change? Does the viewfinder get darker?
06-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

in av mode it is always shooting wide open, it works great if you want wide open, but not so hot for landscapes

a workaround

for instance if you are shooting in av and get a shutter speed of say 1/1000 and you want to shoot at f4 in m mode then set the aperture to f 4 set the shutter to 1/125

give or take that should work

mostly i shoot taks now so i don't have an m with me to fiddle with and see if i can replicate the issue

06-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
Ali
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Alphanerd, when I hold the lens in my hand and change the aperture, the iris responds. However, when it is mounted on the camera, the iris stays wide open.. Switching to MF does not help, and changing the aperture does no affect the iris, i.e. shutter speed and view finder both remain bright

QuoteOriginally posted by alphanerd Quote
What autofocus setting are you using? If you're using AF-S, it will wait for a focus lock (green hexagon in the viewfinder) to take a picture. Try switching to MF (or AF-C) if you're in AF-S.

When you change your aperture on the lens while in Av mode, does the exposure time change? Does the viewfinder get darker?
06-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
Ali
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Eddie, it wont let me take ANY pics in M mode, regardless of how fast or slow I keep the shutter speed. In Av mode it obviously wont let me change the shutter speed..

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
in av mode it is always shooting wide open, it works great if you want wide open, but not so hot for landscapes

a workaround

for instance if you are shooting in av and get a shutter speed of say 1/1000 and you want to shoot at f4 in m mode then set the aperture to f 4 set the shutter to 1/125

give or take that should work

mostly i shoot taks now so i don't have an m with me to fiddle with and see if i can replicate the issue
06-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

And you have set allow aperture ring in the cameras menu to permitted?
06-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #11
Pentaxian

What camera body are we talking about?
06-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
Ali
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sure, have done...

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
And you have set allow aperture ring in the cameras menu to permitted?
06-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
Ali
Inactive Account

Original Poster
This is a k-x VanBaloney...

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
What camera body are we talking about?
06-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Yeah, so double check the aperture ring is set to permitted (in case you just think it is set -- maybe it became unset). It absolutely will not work without this on an M lens, so just make sure.

Also check the "catch in-focus" setting. If that is enabled, it will not fire in AF.S mode or AF.C mode unless you get a focus confirmation (hold down the shutter and drag it from unfocused to focused and it should fire when it hits sharp focus). If catch in-focus is on but body is set to MF it should fire anytime.

And check if AF.S and AF.C modes are set to focus priority or release priority. If on focus priority, again they are looking for focus lock.

But in M mode with aperture ring enabled, and focus switch on MF, it should fire anytime.
06-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #15
Ali
Inactive Account

Original Poster
VonBaloney, it fires ok, but no images get saved, and it doesnt fire within the stipulated shutter speed I select for it in M mode... all the things u talked about are as they shud be, it even gives me a focus beep when I hit focus. In Av mode, it actually saves the pics after having selected the appropriate shutter speed, but the problem occurs in M mode, and when changing aperture once the lens is mounted. Aperture ring works fine, but the iris remains wide open....

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yeah, so double check the aperture ring is set to permitted (in case you just think it is set -- maybe it became unset). It absolutely will not work without this on an M lens, so just make sure.

Also check the "catch in-focus" setting. If that is enabled, it will not fire in AF.S mode or AF.C mode unless you get a focus confirmation (hold down the shutter and drag it from unfocused to focused and it should fire when it hits sharp focus). If catch in-focus is on but body is set to MF it should fire anytime.

And check if AF.S and AF.C modes are set to focus priority or release priority. If on focus priority, again they are looking for focus lock.

But in M mode with aperture ring enabled, and focus switch on MF, it should fire anytime.