Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The DA15mm makes your K7 or K5 feel like a classic film camera with 24mm lens. That's a real novelty on APSC! Wide angle lenses are usually big and heavy. I prefer that to having a zoom tugging the camera forwards all the time.

The DA15 is amazing for street photography and trekking. Perhaps if you are a serious landscape photographer, and already lugging tripods and filter kits, one of the higher quality zooms would work slightly better.

06-15-2012, 03:19 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice review Adam, I don't know if anyone noticed, but it looks like the DA15 renders cooler than the DA12-24 in the real life shots comparison.
Was this more the changing of the sun or the optical formula.
06-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Could have been the sun- it was setting around the time those shots were taken.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-16-2012, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FrancisK7 Quote
Not 700$ worth in my opinion, but I guess that'll be up to whoever buys it.
Anyone who actually *prefers* shooting with a grip isn't really Ina position to understand the preference many have for smaller and lighter. The difference in size is very significant; the other optical advantages are also nothing to sneeze at, but probably not the deciding factor for most. Either you're a small prime or a big zoom guy.

06-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Da 15

Nice review Adam. Can you tell me if you tried putting a filter on the lens and using the hood? On my DA 15 I ordered a B & W UV filter for protection of the lens. Now I can't pull the lens hood out or at least it is very difficult to pull out. I seem to have a choice between the filter and the hood. I ordered the filter on E-Bay so there is no returning it. Did I just buy the one filter that is too stubby or are they all like that?
06-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I use a B+W polarizer and a Hoya ND filter and I can use the hood. The B+W is a tighter fit though.
06-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Anyone who actually *prefers* shooting with a grip isn't really Ina position to understand the preference many have for smaller and lighter. The difference in size is very significant; the other optical advantages are also nothing to sneeze at, but probably not the deciding factor for most. Either you're a small prime or a big zoom guy.
Well said. As an aging hiker, backpacker, skier, etc, the smaller size and light weight become a very big deal. I don't use a grip. I have found the battery life of both the K10D and K5 to be exceptional and have only run down on occasions where I haven't charged them in a few weeks. My standard hiking kit is the K5/DA 15 on my Cotton Carrier vest, DA 40 in my pocket and maybe a lens in my backpack if I have a specific shot in mind. Camera gear can be more than half the weight I am carrying and can feel like a bag of rocks at the end of the day. I like to finish my day in the mountains with a smile and with the desire to get home and load my shots on the computer rather then just getting that <bleeping> backpack off and swallowing a handful of Advil and going to bed.

06-25-2012, 03:50 AM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
Nice review Adam. Can you tell me if you tried putting a filter on the lens and using the hood? On my DA 15 I ordered a B & W UV filter for protection of the lens. Now I can't pull the lens hood out or at least it is very difficult to pull out. I seem to have a choice between the filter and the hood. I ordered the filter on E-Bay so there is no returning it. Did I just buy the one filter that is too stubby or are they all like that?
The first time I got to try this lens out I put on a hoya uv filter and the hood came out fine, but the cap ended up looking pretty silly with that flange...

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-25-2012, 04:30 AM   #24
Pentaxian

DA15 or DA12-24?

Latest B&H prices:

DA15 $650
DA 12-24 $730 "Temporarily" out of stock.

Actually, the DA12-24 has been temporarily out of stock for about a year.

I'm very happy with the DA15; great colour, dramatic. I appreciate its superb and compact build. Together with the DA40 and DA70 Limiteds, just a wonderful combination. No problem using a Hoya UV(c) filter.

The recent lens roadmap seems to indicate that perhaps the DA12-24 is about to be supplanted by a new ~DA12-28. Maybe the poor availability is a sign of what is coming.
06-25-2012, 04:36 AM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Actually, the DA12-24 has been temporarily out of stock for about a year.
It was in stock until very recently- now it looks like it's going to be gone for a while again.

Adam

06-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I'm another one with both the 12-24 and the 15 and I get plenty of use out of both. When I need lots of flexibility in an UWA lens, it's the 12-24. When I want lightness and compactness, it's the 15. Both are great but I've been using the 15 (and the 21) a whole lot lately.