Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Anybody near Indianapolis? I need some help with a lens...

I'm hoping to find a Pentax user in the Indianapolis area.

I recently bought an expensive lens on eBay, but it will not autofocus on my K-x. The focus ring moves just a hair whenever I try to autofocus. Everything I can check seems okay, and the owner says it worked on his K-7 and K100D. I'm wondering if it might be something about the screwdrive on my K-x not mating up perfectly with the autofocus screw on the lens, so I would like to try the lens on another Pentax body.

Unfortunately, I don't have a second body right now and I don't know any other Pentax shooters. I called Robert's Camera and Cord Camera, but neither one of them has a Pentax body. So if there's anybody near Indianapolis who would be willing to let me try my Sigma 100-300mm f4 on their camera, I would really appreciate it. I'm in Greenwood on the South side of Indy.

06-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be honest I would be delighted to try that lens on my camera. But unfortunately I am in Oregon. That lens is supposed to be awesome.

Do you have AF tele-converter? Maybe stick that on and see if it works that way, just to test. I assume you checked the AF switch on the lens? Is the lens mating all the way onto the camera?
06-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Sigma 100-300mm f4
Send that lens to me in Australia. I'll test it for you for several years and give you a thorough evaluation of whether it works on the K-x and K-5.

Also can you use a small screwdriver to turn the screwdrive screw on the lens even slightly, or it is just totally stuck? And are all your contacts clean on camera and lens?
06-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you get desperate enough to drive to Lexington, PM me.

As a possible alternative I would look on Craigslist for a local Pentax seller. They are rare here but you might get lucky.

06-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Have you ever been to the Frys electronics store in Fishers?
According to google maps, it's about half an hour away from you.

The one here in Illinois carries Pentax gear and had a K-r on display last time I was there; they've supposedly got the K-5, K-01, and Q as well now. I'd give them a call and ask if you'd be able to bring your lens to test out.

FRYS.com
06-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm about 20 miles South of Indy, so the Fry's is about 50 minutes to an hour from me depending on traffic, but that's a good suggestion. I'll also check Craigslist.
06-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I'm about 20 miles South of Indy
That puts you in Franklin or Whiteland ? Shame this wasn't posted a couple of weeks ago I was up in Franklin at my parents house. I don't have the kr but we could have checked it out on a couple of other Pentax bodies. I had a ZX-7 and my *istDL with me.
06-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
Why don't you just buy some cheap AF pentax film body?

You should be able to get one for under 20$ shiped. And you can test AF with the lens that you know works on your camera and compare it with your state-of-the-art Sigma.

06-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stanislav Quote
Why don't you just buy some cheap AF pentax film body?

You should be able to get one for under 20$ shiped. And you can test AF with the lens that you know works on your camera and compare it with your state-of-the-art Sigma.
That's also a good suggestion. I was actually able to meet up with another K-x owner this morning, and the lens did the same thing on her camera. So it's not a problem specific to my camera, although I suppose it could be specific to the K-x...but then again, every other screw drive lens I've tried has worked. I just posted a new thread with a much-more detailed description of the problem and what I've tried, in case you're curious:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/189536-sigma-1...ml#post1991096