Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jremick Quote
Also, I hate the 16-50. I think its quality compared to these other lenses isn't even remotely close.
Wow, really? I've heard so many great things about it.

I'm surprised you like the DA*50-135 for studio work. It's really big for extended periods and since in a studio you can easily control almost everything primes are so much better I find. I really want to like it but there's something about the AF and the overall IQ that bugs me. I hear some of them require major adjustments, so I may have to calibrate it... something I've never done for my glass so far since I was always happy with the results. Jim Radcliffe required a +10 adjustment on his DA*50-135... so perhaps I have a bad copy.

06-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FrancisK7 Quote
A 31mm on a APS-C sensor feels like it'd be an ideal length for when my FA77 is too long and appears to have the same IQ and rendering qualities. I wonder why the FA43 is slightly cheaper though? Slower AF or something?
It uses an ED element and is a wider lens, so it is more challenging to produce. It is definitely one of the best lenses you can get on K mount:

@f/2.8:

I reviewed it here.

I just love the bookeh on the FA77... another one taken today FA77 f/2.8 ISO400 1/1250s:
I find the bokeh distracting and below average in this one. People may say that bokeh is subjective, but if it is not the subject and it draws attention away from the subject, that is bad. You could do better than this using the DA 50-200 at 200mm.
06-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It certainly is subjective, but I've always been fond of painterly bookehs. Personal taste, surely.

I know my addictive personnality will get the FA31 and FA43 at some point because I just *need* to have them. It's the matter of which one first and when

Last edited by FrancisK7; 06-14-2012 at 11:58 PM.
06-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #19

Wow, really? I've heard so many great things about it.

I'm surprised you like the DA*50-135 for studio work. It's really big for extended periods and since in a studio you can easily control almost everything primes are so much better I find. I really want to like it but there's something about the AF and the overall IQ that bugs me. I hear some of them require major adjustments, so I may have to calibrate it... something I've never done for my glass so far since I was always happy with the results. Jim Radcliffe required a +10 adjustment on his DA*50-135... so perhaps I have a bad copy.
I wouldn't say I like the 50-135 for studio work since I don't really do studio work (I just play around). But I've used it on long hikes, goofing around in my pretend studio, weddings, etc. and the weight has never bothered me. I feel like the quality of it rivals primes and it's always fun for me to use. That said, if I need something the focuses quickly, has wider aperture, etc. then I, of course, always go for a prime. Oh, I also have a +8 adjustment on mine *still one of my favorite lenses though.

As far as the 16-50; I've heard mixed reviews but it seems to be hit or miss depending on the quality of the copy you get. I'm pretty sure I just got a bad copy. I wasn't able to send it back though because I waited to long and order it while I was overseas. I'll probably send it in for repair or replacement soon though.

06-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm surprised you like the DA*50-135 for studio work. It's really big for extended periods and since in a studio you can easily control almost everything primes are so much better I find.
I use the 60-250 for studio work and the 43 for full length.
Works for me...
07-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #21

I have both the FA31mm and the FA43mm. Coming from using Pentax 67 for a long time for fashion catalogs. The FA31mm is likethe 90mm on the 67. great for most shots and the FA43mm is like the 135mm on the 67. So I really recomed the FA43 for portrait. The FA77mm is to long!!
07-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
There are legitimate quibbles to be had with the FA31, but there is no need to worry whether it has good rendering, it is the benchmark against which others are measured.
Just curious what quibbles you think are worth mentioning.

Here's how the FA31 Limited stacks up for me.

FA31 pros:
  • The AOV is very useful.
  • The manual focusing is nice and smooth.
  • The feel and build quality make it a dream to use.
  • The rendering of the FA31 is unparalleled!

FA31 cons (It almost seems blasphemous to say "FA31" and "cons" together):
  • I get purple fringing from mine sometimes but I can live with it, especially when I make the effort to fix it in PP.
  • It's a little on the big side but not by much.
  • The lens hood rules out some filter options.
  • The focusing is a bit noisy.
  • It's damn expensive!

What the FA31 doesn't have that some more modern Pentax lenses have:
  • Quick Shift (I would really like this)
  • Digital lens coatings (I imagine this would make a difference but not sure how much of one)
  • Weather sealing (Nice but by no means necessary)
  • Quiet focusing (Not sure a switch from screw drive would be well advised)